FOID Wait Time (No Renewals/Address Changes)

• Molly B. changed the title to FOID Wait Time (No Renewals/Address Changes)
  • Molly B. pinned this topic

The average delay for new FOID cards is published on the Illinois State Police website (https://isp.illinois.gov/Foid). This information is published for the prior months’ activity.

Month/ Year

New FOID Application Ave. Processing Time (Days)

Statutory "Requirement"

Days in Excess of "Requirement"

% Of Excess days over Statutory "Requirement"

Notes

02/2021

03/2021

04/2021

05/2021

06/2021

n/a

-

-

Not published

07/2021

08/2021

Please note that that the calculation of average processing time is the time from submission to the time that the application has been approved (or denied). Also, the calculation is an average. So, if there are two applications processed, one application takes 20 days, and the other application takes 100 days, the average application processing time would be 60 days.

For reference, here are the snippets from the Illinois Revised Statues (https://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/ilcs3.asp?ActID=1657&ChapterID=39)

(430 ILCS 65/5) (from Ch. 38, par. 83-5)

Sec. 5. Application and renewal.

(a)    The Department of State Police shall either approve or deny all applications within 30 days from the date they are received, except as provided in subsection (b) of this Section…

(b)   Renewal applications shall be approved or denied within 60 business days, provided the applicant submitted his or her renewal application prior to the expiration of his or her Firearm Owner's Identification Card…

Attached is a link to an article in the Illinois Times on the FOID wait times. https://www.illinoistimes.com/springfield/year-long-waits-for-foid-cards/Content?oid=14110347

It looks as if the Auditor General will be publishing the results of an audit in the last few days of September, 2021 on the performance of the Illinois State Police application processing. As information is available, I will try o keep you informed.

On 9/24/2021 at 9:51 AM, BigMacNCheese said:

New FOID Application:

Submitted 8/24
Active 9/3
Received 9/14

The "numbers" definitely worked out for you very well! It took 10 days to process your application. Now for the month of August, 2021 the average application processing time was 197 (196.74) days. So what this would mean that (statistically) there would be another new application that took 384 days (ouch).  [10+384= 394  394/2 = 197] The ISP has been working to chip away at the backlog.

Congrats on the rapid processing time on the new FOID and quick processing on the address change. Also, and most important, good luck in your pending nuptials.

On 9/18/2021 at 7:04 PM, HelloAll said:

Applied: 08/11/2021

Active: 09/17/2021

I mailed in a letter on 09/14/21 according to instructions by Molly B, requesting a hearing due to ISP exceeding the 30 day deadline by law. I'm sure that expedited my application.

Received FOID in mail on 09/24/21, 7 days after it being issued.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Filed my new FOID application about 95 days ago. Recently the status changes to the following "We have completed our initial review of your submission and have determined that all necessary items are present. Your application has been moved to the background review queue."

Anyone know how much longer it might take once you see that message?

• 4 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Just joined the community. New FOID. Clean record, approved in 7 days.

That was Feb 9th.

Took WEEKS to move from printer queue to printing. Printed once. Print date then changed a week later. 

I think I was part of an unlucky batch in March when their printer broke and their one, maybe two? essential employees went on vacay.

As a result I'm waiting 97+ days and counting for a New FOID, which is against IL and Federal Law as usual, but nobody cares.

I called and complained. They said they will "re-print" and add it to the pile. ETA who knows, tracking non-existent. Dear Lord. I know for a fact they never mailed me my card. I don't have any mail problems. Funniest joke of all is the exact same thing might happen again, and I have no recourse.

I literally do not have a 2nd Amendment right.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived