Proposed Redistricting Map For Illinois

Flynn

3 hours ago, TK 9mm said:

Redistricting should be at the county level to avoid the carve outs like 13 and 17.  If that is real, What the hey!!!?

More reason to get out of Dodge.

How would that be done? 

The map represents Illinois seats in the U.S. House of Representatives. We have 18 seats at present. There are 102 counties in Illinois.

List of United States Representatives from Illinois - Ballotpedia 

List of counties in Illinois - Wikipedia

38 minutes ago, Quiet Observer said:

How would that be done? 

The map represents Illinois seats in the U.S. House of Representatives. We have 18 seats at present. There are 102 counties in Illinois.

List of United States Representatives from Illinois - Ballotpedia 

I think he means district lines should run along county lines, even if the district encloses multiple counties

Of course you'd still have to squeeze 7 or 8 districts into Cook County, due to the high population

On 8/20/2021 at 5:16 PM, defaultdotxbe said:

I think he means district lines should run along county lines, even if the district encloses multiple counties

Of course you'd still have to squeeze 7 or 8 districts into Cook County, due to the high population

Iowa does this. Far easier with a smaller population and fewer districts.

1697641116_2011IOWA.png.49b449b984e511f0324b87ca5305dcd7.png

Yes, I meant following county lines to avoid these carveouts to ensure re-election.  Its absurd what politicians are willing to do to stay in power.  

I understand exceptions need to be made for crook county and more populated areas.  Both sides are guilty of this and more and more of our freedoms erode with time with each "rigged" election.

The 2020 Census reported an Illinois population of about 12,830632.

https://www.rrstar.com/story/news/local/2021/08/12/illinois-census-2020-results-census-results-released-census-bureau/8110904002/

Illinois is allotted 18 Congressional districts. There are 102 counties in Illinois or 5.6 counties per district. Each congressional district has a population of about 712,813. With a population of 2,679,080 Chicago rates 3.75 congressional districts.

I am not defending the Democrat’s map. I am pointing out that it is not simple to draw a map. Below is a description of the Illinois process. With Democrat control of the legislature and governor, a redistricting commission is unlikely. If there were to be a commission, then there would be complaints of control being taken farther away from the voters.

“The Illinois General Assembly is responsible for drawing both congressional and state legislative district lines. Both chambers of the state legislature must approve a redistricting plan. The governor may veto the lines drawn by the state legislature.[33]

In the event that both chambers of the state legislature do not approve a legislative redistricting plan, a backup commission must draw the lines. The majority and minority leaders of each chamber must appoint two members each to the commission (one legislator and one general citizen). Of the eight commission members, no more than four may belong to the same political party. In the event that these eight members cannot approve a plan, the Illinois Supreme Court must select two individuals (from different political parties) as potential tiebreakers. The secretary of state must then appoint one of these individuals to the backup commission to break the tie.[33]

The Illinois Constitution requires that state legislative districts be "contiguous and reasonably compact." There are no such requirements in place for the state's congressional districts.[33]”

https://ballotpedia.org/Redistricting_in_Illinois

After the census IL will be reduced to 17 districts, or exactly 6 counties per district

Cook county's population is 5,275,541, meaning it would get 6.98 districts, almost exactly 7

Leaving 10 districts for the remaining 101 counties, or almost exactly 10 counties per

Of course the division is by population not number of counties, so it wouldn't be 10 counties per district anyway. For example some of the collar counties would basically be one district each, meaning some district will enclose more than 10 counties. In fact the 55 smallest counties would compose just 1 district all together, if they were contiguous

Sure, its not as simple as just circle any 10 counties and call it a district, but I'd wager you could draw a decent map using county lines, with Cook being the sole exception

This is a hypothetical map created by a National political person, and doesn’t come from the State legislature. Nobody outside of maybe a few have seen any actual proposed map yet. The only thing almost certain right now is that it will be drawn in a way that makes sure the loss of the congressional seat will come from a current Republican’s district. 

What is special about county lines?

All districts should have a population of about 712,000. County populations vary widely. Pope has about 4200, Will = 69200, DuPage = 928000, Winnebego = 284000, Lake = 700,000. 

Contiguous counties will not always fit the 712,000 model. There could some very odd pattern linking counties of various sizes. 

I will like to see Congressional districts designated only by simple population numbers. But then, others will claim that their party, ethnic group, etc. are not getting a fair deal. 

1 hour ago, Quiet Observer said:

What is special about county lines?

All districts should have a population of about 712,000. County populations vary widely. Pope has about 4200, Will = 69200, DuPage = 928000, Winnebego = 284000, Lake = 700,000. 

Contiguous counties will not always fit the 712,000 model. There could some very odd pattern linking counties of various sizes. 

I will like to see Congressional districts designated only by simple population numbers. But then, others will claim that their party, ethnic group, etc. are not getting a fair deal. 

754,743. since IL is losing a district. But when you make that your sole metric you get what IL has already: Districts enclosing 400,000 urban democrats, and 350,000 rural conservatives 

On 8/31/2021 at 9:35 PM, Molly B. said:

I hate when they chop up cities instead of doing the whole city, it's pretty dumb.

Do we have any changes to the federal maps?

On 9/1/2021 at 11:00 AM, mab22 said:

I hate when they chop up cities instead of doing the whole city, it's pretty dumb.

Do we have any changes to the federal maps?

Have a look at 29 and 34 in the house map (near Chicago, just to the south)

They have a sliver that goes up in the suburbs, and huge "bulb" that goes south into rural areas, to ensure that the urban voters dilute the rural. I used to live in 29 and I'm sure Rep Jones doesn't care a lick about anyone south of I80

From the perspective of a guy who's state has a republican legislative body due only to gerrymandering, it's not so bad when it's your guys doing it. 

It's so bad here we keep getting sued. They've redrawn the maps to satisfy the court and gave an extra seat to the democrats.  Post census, we get to draw them again. We'll be sending an extra republican to Washington in 2022 to make up for your "loss" of Kinzinger. 

Archived