NYSRPA v Bruen (Corlett): 6-3 U.S. Supreme Court Ruling Strikes down May-issue

Euler

Expect on Decision on NYSPRA on June 23rd or June 27th. With the 4 cases on hold to be released PC (Grand, Vacate, remand) on June 27th due to the fact last conference is on June 23rd.

One of the reasons for the hold, especially on Duncan and Bianchi is that they needed some time to write opinions and dissents since their conference. Also none of the four cases could be releases since they are pending NYSPRA, until The NYSPRA was ready to be released.

On 6/21/2022 at 11:01 PM, Texasgrillchef said:

Expect on Decision on NYSPRA on June 23rd or June 27th. With the 4 cases on hold to be released PC (Grand, Vacate, remand) on June 27th due to the fact last conference is on June 23rd.

One of the reasons for the hold, especially on Duncan and Bianchi is that they needed some time to write opinions and dissents since their conference. Also none of the four cases could be releases since they are pending NYSPRA, until The NYSPRA was ready to be released.

If they follow their calendar, then it will be the 23rd, which is the last day they have scheduled to release opinions. Looking through the rest of the year, they follow the traditional pattern and don't start back up till October and that is when the next items are on the calendar after the order list of the 27th.

image.png.37ba171b85c1a84368bb480f6dcfa6fa.png

image.png.234ebe424585c769ce25aa3324421c74.png

On 6/21/2022 at 12:17 PM, bmyers said:

Correct, that was what I was looking at when I posted that it wasn't released today. 

yes, that was for everyone else that wants to keep refreshing their own browser ;) 

There's some smart people on the chats but there's certainly people on both sides of the table. 

They releases Friday the 24th as a OPINION day.

Also June 27th, Monday, is also an Order release day. Currently not set as an opinion day. But that could change too.

They could still release 2 more opinion days next week. 

Let’s just see how many opinions they release on the 23rd and 24th.

On 6/22/2022 at 2:54 PM, Texasgrillchef said:

They releases Friday the 24th as a OPINION day.

Also June 27th, Monday, is also an Order release day. Currently not set as an opinion day. But that could change too.

They could still release 2 more opinion days next week. 

Let’s just see how many opinions they release on the 23rd and 24th.

You beat me to it. I was just checking the calendar and seen that they had updated it.

image.png.08d4f8a03544c51bfb9f6c6bad20322f.png

On 6/23/2022 at 1:22 AM, illinois_buckeye said:

With all the protesters at their houses, they might release this and the abortion decision the very last day possible and be out of tied at the time of release.

My guess is that all the Justices are already out of town or heading that away. It may not even be the Justices' own idea, but the security staff may be telling them that they need to go on a vacation for a week or two with their family. 

Yet, I have no great insight, just my thoughts.

It's a 6-3 ruling with Thomas writing. Kagan, Breyer, and Sotomayor dissenting.

SCOTUSblog is live-streaming an analysis here:

https://www.scotusblog.com/

• Molly B. changed the title to NYSRPA v Bruen (Corlett): 6-3 U.S. Supreme Court Ruling Strikes down May-issue
On 6/23/2022 at 9:58 AM, cls74 said:

Screenshot_20220623-095831_Facebook.thumb.jpg.e12915dca04f26a349456088422417c8.jpg

so....will this open the door for me being able to apply for a non-res license?  Still annoyed that when I moved to MO, yet still work and have my kids in IL, that I cannot exercise my rights outside my car.  Even though I had a Resident License when I was here.

I like Alito's response to the dissent

In light of what we have actually held, it is hard to see what legitimate purpose can possibly be served by most of the dissent’s lengthy introductory section. See post, at 1–8 (opinion of BREYER, J.). Why, for example, does the dissent think it is relevant to recount the mass shootings that have occurred in recent years? Post, at 4–5. Does the dissent think that laws like New York’s prevent or deter such atrocities? Will a person bent on carrying out a mass shooting be stopped if he knows that it is illegal to carry a handgun outside the home? And how does the dissent account for the fact that one of the mass shootings near the top of its list took place in Buffalo? The New York law at issue in this case obviously did not stop that perpetrator. What is the relevance of statistics about the use of guns to commit suicide? See post, at 5–6. Does the dissent think that a lot of people who possess guns in their homes will be stopped or deterred from shooting themselves if they cannot lawfully take them outside?  (Pg 71 of the PDF)

Archived