CCL application mental health question

DD44

I did not find anything doing a search, so I am sorry if this has been asked before. I assume that it will be no problem, I just would like to ask some more experienced people.  About 9 years ago, during some big life changes, I went to see a counselor (outpatient). The place he worked for also did rehab and  inpatient mental health stuff.  I am wondering a few things. First, are my worries unfounded? I know all of what I can find says "in the last 5 years."  Second, would that count anyway because it was not inpatient? Third, is there a chance, because of this, that a CCL application would be denied and FOID revoked? (I had a FOID before during and after with renewal and no problem.) Does anyone have any similar situations or any advice? 

Your fears are not unfounded. I have no personal experience in these matters, but it's been discussed here several times.

In-patient vs out-patient: Illinois doesn't care. The disqualification is for any kind of patient who was treated at any facility that provides in-patient treatment.

9 years vs 5 years: I've seen people say they've been denied. They needed to get a qualified professional to say that they're not a danger to themselves or others, and haven't been for at least the last 5 years, then appeal.

Other people have had their FOIDs revoked when their CCLs were denied.

The preferable course would be not to be denied, but I'm unsure if that's possible. It may be necessary to be denied, then go through appeal. Others will probably be along who know if there's a way to avoid denial, at least for the mental health part.

This is the sort of pain that discourages people who need treatment from getting treatment.

I do not see any problem. Your counselling was well beyond the 5 year limit. 

Some have had problems because they mistakenly check "Yes". That throws a monkey wrench into the whole process. 

There is not reason to share trivial matters that happened long before the the time limit. You are not lying or committing perjury. 

Based on the OP's statement, this was a limited situation, that has been resolved years ago.  

Thank you for the replies.  I am still on the fence about the applying at this time.  I wonder if it would make sense to contact the facility about my record there.  Their website states that you can request a copy if they have kept the record.  Apparently some places only keep records for 6 years.

DId the counselor only do outpatient?  If they're actually PsyD or MD and did rounds in the in-patient wing I could see a really remote chance, but they're not supposed to report outpatient treatment so long as it's not court ordered, and they didn't deem you to be clear and present danger.  

Tbh you might as well apply.  Because either you get extremely unlucky and find out they screwed up  (by reported incorrectly) and your FOID gets revoked when you apply for a CCL.  Or later down the line you try to renew your FOID, and they find that info and it gets revoked.  It sounds like you're about up for the renewal or close to it anyways.

Also for what it's worth apparently back before the CCL law, the mental health reporting was really spotty with a lot of facilities.  While ultimately you shouldn't have been reported, that further helps you I guess...

Archived