New to Glock platform pistols

StuckInIllinois

Been shooting pistols for a long time, 35ish years. Always a metal, hammer fired guy.  Smith 1&2 gen, 1911's, CZ's and M9's. No Glocks for me, thnx.

Anyway I purchased a "gucci" Glock last week. Shadow Systems MR920. Thought I'd give this platform a try and tired of doing mods. Ready to go as is. Broke her and I in yesterday, and after 300 of ball and 90/115/124/147gr defensive rnds I am convinced I've been wrong. This is a nice gun. I shoot this as well, maybe better than my current, well massaged , carry CZ75 Compact purchased in 2003. WTH? Waiting on my Milt Sparks SS2........

Couple observations. Magpul 19 mags (came with the 920) are crap compared to oem Glock. They work well, just feel cheap. At $11 on sale they are priced right. Can't believe I got Glock oem for $19. The availability of parts for this platform is incredible. 

Glock forums are hit and miss. Anyone suggest one kinda like 1911Addicts? You know, for grownups? :)

Going to get a Glock Gen5 19 or 17 for HD. Can anyone suggest a good local Glock Blue Label shop? I am in Aurora. 

Time to start that Poly80 project. 

Thanks for any insight/info.

You choose well grasshopper... :D

Glocktalk.com

magpul glock mags...suck.(compared to OEM)  I have a few and are relegated to the range.  I think a few are still in bags.

Fine for the range...but I would never depend on em for carry...

OEM's are available and cheap. There is no reason to have a small pile of em.

While got particularly close to Aurora, GAT guns in Dundee is a blue label shop.

I was a 1911 fan for… well decades…until I gave in and bought a Glock.

Most Glocks can best be described as butt ugly compared to a deeply blued or stainless 1911 but they go BANG every time and I’ve never had one that was fussy about what it’s fed. 

I believe Ray O’Herrons in Downers Grove is a blue label dealer.  

Im a fan. 

This thread sent me to my LGS yesterday - I'll be picking up my new G19 Gen 5 on Monday. Why, cuz I knew my 5+ decades' accumulation of handguns deserved to include at least one Glock, and the 19 was a good compromise amongst their many different models and it fit my hand comfortably. The Gen 3's finger grooves were not a good match to MY fingers.

Brief after range session report - I picked up the G19 Gen5 yesterday, did a quick lube and then went to the LGS range and put about 70 rounds through it, 50 store bought, the rest my reloads (plated bullets). Worked as I expected with NO issues, I'm still too new to the Glock to rate it, but it shot well, was very accurate and once I figured out how to use the Glock supplied mag loader - a definite downgrade from using my Uplula (which I forgot to bring) it was a simple process to load the THREE factory supplied 15rd mags - a nice touch says I.

Once home I did add the smaller of the supplied grip backstraps (no beavertail) and expect even better results on paper at my next range session. Glock provides two beavertail straps and two plain straps with the pistol. I recognize that I need more time with the Glock trigger to be 'comfy' with it, but no complaints after my brief outing.

What can I say? It's a Glock and like all of them. Glocks mostly just work and go bang every time, and the G17 and G19's are well proven polymer pistols serving their owners well since the late 80's early 90's. I have NO regrets making the purchase and adding this piece to my accumulation of firearms. It's a keeper. 'Nuff said.

2 hours ago, RandyP said:

Brief after range session report - I picked up the G19 Gen5 yesterday, did a quick lube and then went to the LGS range and put about 70 rounds through it, 50 store bought, the rest my reloads (plated bullets). Worked as I expected with NO issues, I'm still too new to the Glock to rate it, but it shot well, was very accurate and once I figured out how to use the Glock supplied mag loader - a definite downgrade from using my Uplula (which I forgot to bring) it was a simple process to load the THREE factory supplied 15rd mags - a nice touch says I.

Once home I did add the smaller of the supplied grip backstraps (no beavertail) and expect even better results on paper at my next range session. Glock provides two beavertail straps and two plain straps with the pistol. I recognize that I need more time with the Glock trigger to be 'comfy' with it, but no complaints after my brief outing.

What can I say? It's a Glock and like all of them. Glocks mostly just work and go bang every time, and the G17 and G19's are well proven polymer pistols serving their owners well since the late 80's early 90's. I have NO regrets making the purchase and adding this piece to my accumulation of firearms. It's a keeper. 'Nuff said.

I wholeheartedly agree with the Lulu loader! I have loaded THOUSANDS of rounds in Glock magazines for our range training at work. And I do mean THOUSANDS!!!! Worth every penny and I have threaten folks with shooting them in the face if they tried to steal mine!  They also make a loader for the AR magazines= either lose rounds or stripper clips.

The best way to learn the Glock trigger reset is dry fire. Snap the trigger, cycle the slide, then just barely release the trigger till you feel\hear the reset. Now you are ready to fire again.

Well. Glock 19 G5 on the way. Only change I will make are new sights to exactly match what my MR920 has. 

Milt Sparks SS2 has been on my hip for only four days but I am impressed by the lack of bulk and the excellent quality. Three mile fast paced walks and zero irritation. No wait on orders as they are available on their website. 

I do have a TTGunleather XC Slim on order as I use(d) them for my CZ's. Very comfortable leather, and rides low. Will most likely replace the SS2.

As a wonderful 'geezer arthitic hands' item I just received in a neato inexpensive tool to assist takedown - works great by the way. And comforts ME that I'm not the only one who has an issue.

Slide Removal Tool | Best Glock Accessories | GlockStore.com

They provide a short video showing it being used at that link too.

p.s. The "Golden Years" are actually just rust and urine, don't let them kid ya'.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/5/2021 at 7:36 PM, russ60477 said:

Picked up my new 19 and did a field strip and I was surprised at the amount of dirt with a new gun. I know glock puts rounds through the guns for quality checks but you would think they would

re-clean them prior to boxing.

20210904_093304.jpg

EEEewwwwww!!!!

A new glock THAT dirty would NEVER be able to operate for an operator in an operation zone.

You should get rid of that thing.

Tell ya what...I can help you out and take if off your hands for a small disposal fee.

:D

Archived