Would It Be Safe For Me To Apply For FOID Right Now Even Though I Know I'll Be Moving Soon?

I plan to move pretty soon, most likely before the time it takes to go active. If I moved, but didn't update my driver's license address, and it kept the old address, the same one that'll be on the FOID App, would there be any risks involved? I would still be able to pick up the FOID from the old address. Thanks. Edited by HelloAll

USPS will not forward a FOID or CCL. If you move before the FOID is approved, you just have to apply again with your new address. You might as well wait.

Say I do move before I go active, couldn't I just wait to get my FOID (I'd still be able to get it from the mail whether USPS forwards or not), buy what I want, and THEN update my driver's license and do an address change? Once I have what I want to have, I don't care about waiting for an address change. Edited by HelloAll

USPS will not forward a FOID or CCL. If you move before the FOID is approved, you just have to apply again with your new address. You might as well wait.

Say I do move before I go active, couldn't I just wait to get my FOID (I'd still be able to get it from the mail whether USPS forwards or not), buy what I want, and THEN update my driver's license and do an address change? Once I have what I want to have, I don't care about waiting for an address change.

If you were to use your FOID to buy a firearm right away with the old address, that might require lying on the 4473 about what your currrent address is, too. I wouldn't recommend that. Supposedly if you update your address with the state first (DL then FOID), then use a new DL with the old FOID before the new FOID comes, as long as the 4473 matches what the DL says, the ATF is okay with that (since the ATF doesn't care about the FOID). The ISP and the LGS may have an issue with it, though.

I plan to move pretty soon, most likely before the time it takes to go active. If I moved, but didn't update my driver's license address, and it kept the old address, the same one that'll be on the FOID App, would there be any risks involved? I would still be able to pick up the FOID from the old address. Thanks.

How soon is pretty soon? For some people 6 months is pretty soon.

is this a done deal with a signed lease or closing or is this a pretty sure thing?

I assume the planned move will be in Illinois.

By law, motorists must notify the Illinois Secretary of State's office within 10 days when their address or name changes (Illinois Vehicle Code, Sec. 3-416, 6-116 and 6-511). This will ensure that you receive your renewal notices and other correspondence at the appropriate address.

https://apps.ilsos.gov/addrchange/

If the address on your FOID application does not agree with the address on file, it may not be approved.

I plan to move pretty soon, most likely before the time it takes to go active. If I moved, but didn't update my driver's license address, and it kept the old address, the same one that'll be on the FOID App, would there be any risks involved? I would still be able to pick up the FOID from the old address. Thanks.

How soon is pretty soon? For some people 6 months is pretty soon.

is this a done deal with a signed lease or closing or is this a pretty sure thing?

I assume the planned move will be in Illinois.

[/size]By law, motorists must notify the Illinois Secretary of State's office within 10 days when their address or name changes (Illinois Vehicle Code, Sec. 3-416, 6-116 and 6-511). This will ensure that you receive your renewal notices and other correspondence at the appropriate address.[/size]

https://apps.ilsos.gov/addrchange/

If the address on your FOID application does not agree with the address on file, it may not be approved.

Could be very soon, but more relevant, it 99% be before my FOID app goes active, considering the current state of the wait times. I understand the 10-day law thing, but that's basically my question, what if I just didn't do it. Here is a concise layout of the idea I had. Please let me know where things would go wrong.

) Apply for new FOID.

) Move to new address.

) FOID goes active, with old address on file. It will match my DL.

) Buy the stuff I want.

) THEN, update my DL, and then do address change through ISP website. At this point, I wouldn't care about waiting for an address change, since I wouldn't be trying to buy anything new anymore.

My main questions is would ISP somehow pick up on the fact that I moved, but didn't update my DL. Or a a FFL when I fill out the 4473, would they somehow see that I've moved? Or are they not that coordinated? My DL and FOID would match, with an old address. If I just don't update my new address on DL in 10 days, not until after I get my FOID and purchase stuff, what will happen? Any real risks? Thanks.

Edited by HelloAll

Please let me know where things would go wrong.

Things could just get sticky.

Maybe getting your FOID takes way longer than you expect.

You end up waiting for six months or more to update your DL and you are involved in an accident.

Somehow this negatively affects your vehicle insurance because you didn't change that address either.

As someone else pointed out - if you use an old address on the 4473 because it matches the old address on your FOID and DL, you are knowingly falsifying a government document.

You seem to be in a hurry and asking for a blessing.

I see two good options:

- wait to move until after your FOID arrives and you "purchase stuff"

- move sooner and wait to apply for FOID when your address change is complete

Option two eliminates the need for an address change on your FOID.

Please let me know where things would go wrong.

Things could just get sticky.

Maybe getting your FOID takes way longer than you expect.

You end up waiting for six months or more to update your DL and you are involved in an accident.

Somehow this negatively affects your vehicle insurance because you didn't change that address either.

As someone else pointed out - if you use an old address on the 4473 because it matches the old address on your FOID and DL, you are knowingly falsifying a government document.

You seem to be in a hurry and asking for a blessing.

I see two good options:

- wait to move until after your FOID arrives and you "purchase stuff"

- move sooner and wait to apply for FOID when your address change is complete

Option two eliminates the need for an address change on your FOID.

I'm probably gonna do option 2, just wanted to know if there was any real downside to doing it the way I thought of.

WAIT.

Consider, when you do get your CCL, you will have to use your new address, too.

A CCL address different from your FOID address is just one more little, itty-bitty thing to possibly delay your CCL later. From what I've been reading, why add another six weeks to the built-in delay everyone is having, anyway?

Hold off on getting the FOID until you have your new address, and not worry about thing that could pop up as a problem. Also, why pay double for the FOID. for the new corrected address card?

JMHO

Edited by Kaeghl

On 8/5/2021 at 1:11 PM, Kaeghl said:

WAIT.

Consider, when you do get your CCL, you will have to use your new address, too.

A CCL address different from your FOID address is just one more little, itty-bitty thing to possibly delay your CCL later. From what I've been reading, why add another six weeks to the built-in delay everyone is having, anyway?

Hold off on getting the FOID until you have your new address, and not worry about thing that could pop up as a problem. Also, why pay double for the FOID. for the new corrected address card?

JMHO

quote quote