FOID Modernization (HB562) Signed Into Law

mauserme

".......Expanding Background Checks to All Gun Sales in Illinois"

So....what's changed here?

It isn't so much the process of transferring a firearm, but the fact that a record of the transfer must be submitted to an FFL who is required to keep it for 20 years.

Part of the way they sold this registration scheme was to call it a background check on all sales, pretending that Illinois didn't already require that.

Essentially nothing. Private sellers can, if they want, go to an FFL to check the buyers' FOIDs, or continue to use the web site, same as today. It just sounds good to JB's voters, now that he's announced he's running for re-election.

But the FOID check is only good until Jan 2024. Then the FFLs get all the business.

The FFLs don't want that business.

Think about it. The bill's sponsor also sponsored the Gun Dealer Licensing Act that put half the gun dealers out of business.

Heard this again on the 10pm CBS news that the CCL and FOID would be combined into 1 card effective January 1st 2022.

I did a quick search and did find this:

FOID cards are automatically renewed through the valid period of a CCL •

FOID and CCL renewal dates are synchronized •

A single combined FOID and CCL card will replace the current two card requirement by consolidating the FOID and CCL into a single card

It isn't so much the process of transferring a firearm, but the fact that a record of the transfer must be submitted to an FFL who is required to keep it for 20 years.

Part of the way they sold this registration scheme was to call it a background check on all sales, pretending that Illinois didn't already require that.

So they lied.

Wasn't there something in the bill that said the ISP would also keep records for a buyer in lieu of an FFL doing so? Or did that not make the final cut?

Essentially nothing. Private sellers can, if they want, go to an FFL to check the buyers' FOIDs, or continue to use the web site, same as today. It just sounds good to JB's voters, now that he's announced he's running for re-election.

Not entirely true. Buyer in a private sale has 10 days to file the sale with an FFL.

I'll let you all know how freedom feels after I retire and sell my house in April and permanently move to Florida. I can't take this state anymore. Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I beat you to Florida, it is a different firearms world. If you hold a Florida Concealed Weapons permit no wait time to purchase a firearm. Residents application fee $97 (including fingerprints) Renewal $45. Seven year renewal.

I'll let you all know how freedom feels after I retire and sell my house in April and permanently move to Florida. I can't take this state anymore. Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I beat you to Florida, it is a different firearms world. If you hold a Florida Concealed Weapons permit no wait time to purchase a firearm. Residents application fee $97 (including fingerprints) Renewal $45. Seven year renewal.

I can't wait to shred this FOID card into a billion pieces and mail it to the ISP with my love letter. I have a place already about 40 minutes south of Tampa so I travel there frequently.

I was born and raised in New York City, which is even worse in terms of gun rights than is Illinois. A job opportunity is what brought me to this state, and in part I am still here because three of my five adult children live within an hour of where I live (the other two are on the West Coast, where gun rights are even worse). So it looks like I'm staying around, at least for now. I don't really see this new law having much of an effect upon me but it clearly is a way for the Democrats to show their disdain for the 2nd Amendment and those that exercise their natural right to be able to defend themselves.

We started looking at homes in Wisconsin this year, my brother moved his family OUT OF ILLINOIS to Wisconsin. His kids are within a 3 hour drive and one has already moved there. My cousin is building a lake home up there. If my daughter finds a lake home the grand kids are going and that will get my wife animated to move. My family moved to Illinois in the early 1800s and has prospered, but Illinois is unredeemable now and it’s time to vote with ones feet.

Not entirely true. Buyer in a private sale has 10 days to file the sale with an FFL.

There are lots of things in the bill that are not background checks.

So they lied.

Wasn't there something in the bill that said the ISP would also keep records for a buyer in lieu of an FFL doing so? Or did that not make the final cut?

I remember discussion about that too, perhaps as a possible trailer bill.

I can't wait to shred this FOID card into a billion pieces and mail it to the ISP with my love letter. I have a place already about 40 minutes south of Tampa so I travel there frequently.

You might want to save that as an emblem of your new-found freedom. Frame it as an example of your "liberation". :D

Heard this again on the 10pm CBS news that the CCL and FOID would be combined into 1 card effective January 1st 2022.

I did a quick search and did find this:

FOID cards are automatically renewed through the valid period of a CCL

FOID and CCL renewal dates are synchronized

A single combined FOID and CCL card will replace the current two card requirement by consolidating the FOID and CCL into a single card

Was that not if you submitted FOID FPRINTS? Or was that renewal only. I'm not interested in the guy selling me ammo knowing I have a CCL

Again when you make things hard people don't do them.

This encourages people with 10+ year old firearms selling to anyone 28 or older to just do a cash/carry sale what's a FOID?

Another black market Illinois just boosted.

I don't know sold it over 10 years ago, paperwork destroyed.

AKA the Clinton I don't recall sale.

This encourages people with 10+ year old firearms selling to anyone 28 or older to just do a cash/carry sale what's a FOID?

The Principle of Psychological Acceptability: When it's easier to circumvent a security control than to comply with it, people will circumvent it.

It applies to any security control. There was an aerial photograph I saw once of one faculty parking lot at (I think) University of Michigan (might have been Michigan State). The lot used to be open. The University changed that by putting a gate with a crossing arm at the entrance and exit. Faculty needed to swipe a card to get in and out through the gate. However, there was no curb. The aerial photo showed tire tracks driving through the grass around the gate.

The Principle of Psychological Acceptability: When it's easier to circumvent a security control than to comply with it, people will circumvent it.

It applies to any security control. There was an aerial photograph I saw once of one faculty parking lot at (I think) University of Michigan (might have been Michigan State). The lot used to be open. The University changed that by putting a gate with a crossing arm at the entrance and exit. Faculty needed to swipe a card to get in and out through the gate. However, there was no curb. The aerial photo showed tire tracks driving through the grass around the gate.

Yes it has been turned into a pro 2A meme I believe

gun-control-criminald-criminal-it-works-

In the mail today:

On August 2, 2021, Illinois Governor Pritzker signed HB 562 with Senate Amendments 1 & 2, known as the FOID Modernization Act.  There are all kinds of gnashing of teeth about what is in the bill.  Most have not actually read the bill or understand what it does.  It is true that the ISRA was neutral on the bill.

The Firearms Owners Identification, FOID card, is currently the law in Illinois like it or not.  While the ISRA doesn't like the FOID, for now it is the law of the land.  For those who think we should just ignore the FOID, you are in La La land.

The ISRA has long and short-term goals.  The long-term goals include eliminating the FOID.  The short-term goals are whatever is in our power that we can do to make sure people get their FOID card and Illinois Concealed Carry Licenses in a timely manner.  We have sued the Illinois State Police over the FOID and CCL cards, but they are not quick fixes.  To those that tell us to let people wait, well, I don't agree with that.  I have yet to hear from anyone who is waiting to tell me they don’t care!  To the HB 562 bill which is now the law:

... (provisions of the bill) ...

10 hours ago, Euler said:

In the mail today:

That's a complete strawman argument.

No one told him to let people wait.  He was told, repeatedly, that they should not agree to removing due process, they should not agree to increased costs to transfer a firearm and, they should not agree to registration.

And they still can't see that they've been part of the problem.

2 hours ago, mauserme said:

That's a complete strawman argument.

And they still can't see that they've been part of the problem.

He can’t see it because his ego is in the way. He has assumed the role of leader and arbtrar for everyone without election. Now this leader is feeling heat from his “constituency” for the first time and his reaction is to ridicule those who disagree with him. For someone who claims the right to lead the fight he uses the tactics of the left. He is abrupt when challenged, ignores you if you disagree and then ridicules you if you persist in your perspective. His ego is in the way. 

Archived