Suggestions for starting Home-based FFL

lurker501

I'm in the middle of trying to start a home-based FFL. The FFL type I'm attempting to get is a Type 7. A large part would be Transfers, then sales by request, and finally some simple manufacturing (completing 80% and getting them stamped)

I have already created an LLC, gotten my EIN and Illinois Tax ID number (which they suggested making my primary business "retail") and have a complete e-commerce site through GoDaddy (not published yet)

I'm about to get my application in to the ATF, but I need to confirm that the Village of Bartlett (Cook county side) will not have an issue with what is technically a "Manufacturing FFL license"

I don't plan on setting up a machine shop in my garage, just working with my home woodworking tools to do any work.

The very nice lady at the Village Zoning department asked me to submit the Home Occupation form and she would show it to the Village lawyers to get approval before moving on.

She asked me to be descriptive about what I will be doing for the business.

Does anyone have any advice on this whole process or changes to the below description that I'm submitting.

Thanks!

Rick

post-22606-0-10379200-1627925142_thumb.jpg

Thanks you for responding mab22, I have tried to find an attorney that is familiar with FFLs and LLCs, I have even contacted the NRA and NRA-ILA and was not able to get help. I have contacted Shaw Law, LTD in Waukegan, IL and he referred me to Michael Danforth in Barrington, which has not returned my calls. I then did some more research and found David G. Sigale in Wheaton. Unfortunately I have not been able to get any attorney to respond.

If anyone has suggestions, I would love to hear them.

Thanks.

If the ATF believes you are going to get a FFL to make $$$, you got it. Before I submitted my FFL, I contacted the business licensing woman and asked if they would issue me a home occupation business license for selling firearms. With a few rumbles, she said yes. They required the ATF issue the license 1st, where ATF's policy is the opposite. Don't be discouraged, my ATF IOI guy said this happens all the time and he issued me the FFL 1st. I took it to my village and in 1 week, I got the signatures from: fire chief, police chief, business manager, and my business licensing woman. Now the 07, I tried this year to get my 07/02 and the business licensing woman and business manager were on board. The police chief joined the crowd and it turns out that Oak Lawn has an ordinance that only allows FFL 01 & 03s within village limits. Crash and burn. Read Bartlett's ordinance and make sure they don't have the same provision as Oak Lawn. There is a good possibility that your town might only allow a FFL 01. Don't waste your time with getting an SOT 03, IL law prohibits FFL 01 dealers from selling NFA items.

• 1 month later...

Short update: 

David Sigale did return my call and we came to an agreement on retaining his services.  He helped me construct the details on the form and am hoping to hear from the village by Tuesday or Wednesday.

I will update this thread occasionally through my journey.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions and help