The Racist Reality of Gun Control

davel501

Gun control disproportionately impacts the poor and minorities and puts them at greater risk of prosecution. So why is it that progressives, who like to think of themselves as champions of the people, are always pushing for stricter gun-control laws?

In January 2016, New York mayor Bill de Blasio created Project Fast Track to aggressively pursue all firearms cases in New York. Defendants in that court are overwhelmingly young black males who are charged with simply possessing an illegal firearm not using it or committing any violent crime. The majority in these cases have never been convicted of a felony.

Its a local snapshot of a broader picture. Nationally, while black Americans amount to only 13 percent of the population, they receive 51 percent of all felony firearm-possession convictions. A number of these cases may in fact be connected to more nefarious criminal activity. And given the crime wave sweeping U.S. cities, prosecutors should be pursuing violent crimes wherever they can.

But minorities and those living in poor areas are much more likely to experience crime, especially violent crime, compared with their fellow citizens. These individuals are in particular need of the ability to defend themselves, and they have the same right to do so as someone living in a safe, upper-class suburb; and yet gun-control laws eviscerate this right for vulnerable Americans in several ways.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/the-racist-reality-of-gun-control/ar-AAMdLWD

I do not buy it. It is just an expansion of the systemic racism claim.

There are proportionally more Blacks in prison, that does not mean that modern laws are written to suppress Blacks.

If a group is prosecuted more for crimes of any nature, it may mean they are committing proportionally more crimes.

Does anyone think that auto theft or burglary laws are racist, because a larger proportion of minorities are in prison for them?

Unequal prosecution does not mean a law is wrong. The prosecutors and courts can be at fault.

I am talking about all laws in general. I certainly do not support more gun control.

I do not buy it. It is just an expansion of the systemic racism claim.

There are proportionally more Blacks in prison, that does not mean that modern laws are written to suppress Blacks.

If a group is prosecuted more for crimes of any nature, it may mean they are committing proportionally more crimes.

Does anyone think that auto theft or burglary laws are racist, because a larger proportion of minorities are in prison for them?

Unequal prosecution does not mean a law is wrong. The prosecutors and courts can be at fault.

I am talking about all laws in general. I certainly do not support more gun control.

Exactly !

For the most part, are not "crimes of passion", violent crimes, theft, burglary, other "property crimes", more likely to be committed by people of lower economic status? And, high end crimes like fraud, embezzlement, etc., are most likely to be done by already affluent and (most likely) better educated crooks. Where they spend their prison time is also different, based on their types of crimes.

It's fitting that the Fast Track project sited in the article was from NYC.

Politics being what they were at the time, the "Sullivan Act" of New York was blatant racism in it's foulest form. It was loudly touted to be the answer to the problem of "foul, degenerate, illiterate gangsters, the mentally incompetent, general dregs of society and habitual inbred criminals" getting their hands on guns and befouling the civilization and beauty of the city of New York.

Just who were the degenerates, gangsters, criminals and sub-human types the law targeted?

The Irish, of course.

Blatant racism indeed. De Blasio obviously read a history book along with Mein Kampf, Mao's little red book and Marx's manifesto.

jmho

Archived