Arvada, CO police kill defender who stopped active shooter

Euler

Scorecard:

Ronald Troyke - the active shooter

Gordon Beesley - Arvada police officer killed by Troyke

Johnny Hurley - concealed carrier who killed Troyke

ABC 7 Denver

The Arvada Police Department confirmed Friday one of its officers shot Johnny Hurley, the Good Samaritan who witnesses say shot the suspect in the Olde Town Arvada shooting, which Denver7 Investigates previously confirmed through three ranking sources Wednesday.

Beesley parked on Webster Street and walked through an alley toward the Olde Town Square. As he walked westbound, Troyke pulled into the area in a truck and parked behind him. The suspect got out of his truck with a 12 gauge semi-automatic shotgun, ran after Beesley and yelled at him. Beesley stopped, turned and immediately was shot twice by the suspect. Beesley did not reach for his gun and took no defensive action. He turned in response to the suspect who then shot and killed him. Troyke then shot out the windows of patrol cars parked in the area and into the air. He ran back to his truck and retrieved an AR-15 and then ran back towards the Olde Town Square with the long gun, where he was confronted by Hurley. Hurley then shot the suspect with a handgun. A responding Arvada police officer then encountered Hurley, who was holding the suspect's AR-15. The officer shot him.

According to the release from Arvada police, the suspect, Troyke, left a document for Arvada police that allegedly said, among other things:

• "My goal today is to kill Arvada PD officers"
  • "We the people were never your enemy, but we are now"
  • "This is what you get, you are the people who are expendable"
  • "Hundreds of you pigs should be killed daily"
  • "Today I will kill as many Arvada officers as I possibly can"
  • "I just hope I don't die without killing any of you pigs"

District Attorney Alexis King said the investigation into Hurley's death is a "massive and complex effort." She said the office is only providing limited information to the public because the "premature release of information can compromise witness interviews and other evidence collection."

Once the investigation is complete, King will review it to see if charges are warranted.

"The Arvada Police Department understands and appreciates the public's interest in the events that resulted in the tragic loss of Officer Gordon Beesley and the hero Johnny Hurley," [Det. David] Snelling said in a release. "We want to be clear that although these two deaths unfolded as part of the same incident, they are being investigated separately."

Johnny Hurley deserves a debt of gratitude from that police department, a statue in his honor, and 24 million to his family; as opposed to the late George Floyd.

Instead, he will be ignored. If only he was black, committing a felony, on a fatal dose of narcotics and resisting arrest. His family would be set for life.

If only he was black, committing a felony, on a fatal dose of narcotics and resisting arrest. His family would be set for life.

Nope, I doubt Floyd's kin have the financial discipline. Couple of years, back to zip...

I am reminded that being able to carry does not make one a law enforcement officer. Being a good guy with a gun does not mean you get involved in any firefight you happen on. Tragic.

While I understand what your getting at, I disagree. Police are not the only people that are allowed to help their fellow Americans. This person saved others because they acted. I stop to help people all the time and can't fault this hero for their choice to help. At least with the current understanding of events.

I think what we can learn from this is if you have to take down an active shooter, once the threat is eliminated, re-holster and conceal your piece immediately and don't pick up the perp's gun. In fact, don't be near any visible guns at all.

+100 IF you as a law-abiding concealed carrier CHOOSE to involve yourself in an ongoing armed confrontation with a criminal, do all you can to not be a statistic. It is sad and tragic that in this case the 'good guy' was seemingly legitimately mistaken for one of the unknown 'bad guys' by the responding LEO. Deepest sympathies to all the good guys involved in this incident and their families.

Assuming Hurley had stopped the threat, why was he walking around with the Troyke's AR?

I don't think he was walking around with it. I think he just picked it up, probably to secure it.

I would secure it by standing on it.

It sounds like he was trying to secure it, bad idea!

Holster your s##t!

Kick it away!

get on the ground…

I am very surprised people are looking at some way to fault the conceal carry holder. He responded as a true American and didn't deserve to get shot and killed. Many times until you believe the threat is 100% clear, you still keep your weapon right on the criminal in case he tries to use his last strength to attempt to get off one last shot. I am also against the notion of always MYOB. Each situation calls for a different response, sometimes you should MYOB while other occasions, stepping-up is the right thing to do. I am going to put the onus of error on LE in this situation, did they go there to arrest the criminal or did they go there to kill the criminal? Were they aware he just murdered a PO or was it pi$$ poor training. That LE Dept needs to be held accountable for their actions. Not talking criminal charges are required because maybe their not, but maybe that officer who fired the shot shouldn't be an officer anymore or maybe that particular specialized unit should be disbanded depending on how they have responded to other calls. That town needs to do right by that man...

I am NOT 'faulting' the civilian who chose to involve himself with an active shooter, nor can I fault the LEO for shooting the person holding an AR when responding to a call about an active shooter. Sometimes shyte just happens and bad things happen to good people. I will leave the armchair quarterbacking to those with the advantage of crystal clear hindsight and loads of free time to consider their options.

If there is body cam footage, that should shine some light on this tragic incident.

For instance, if it shows responding personnel seeing a downed officer and an individual standing in proximity with a long gun, a reasonable inference would be that the person with the gun presented a continuing threat, justifying the use of deadly force.

There can be reasonable explanations for this without a video record, of course. But the facts as reported could just as easily be interpreted as I've described above.

FWIW.

Rich Phillips

I think that when cops respond to a call, no matter the circumstances, opening fire on the first person they see holding a gun is not the best policy.

I don't know if they are trained this way or are just trigger happy due to all the general negative sentiment towards cops, but I still think it's a good idea to re-holster and move away from the scene if you're involved in stopping a threat like that. Why risk becoming another "cop kills good guy CCL holder because he had a gun" statistic.

I am very surprised people are looking at some way to fault the conceal carry holder. He responded as a true American and didn't deserve to get shot and killed. Many times until you believe the threat is 100% clear, you still keep your weapon right on the criminal in case he tries to use his last strength to attempt to get off one last shot. I am also against the notion of always MYOB. Each situation calls for a different response, sometimes you should MYOB while other occasions, stepping-up is the right thing to do. I am going to put the onus of error on LE in this situation, did they go there to arrest the criminal or did they go there to kill the criminal? Were they aware he just murdered a PO or was it pi$$ poor training. That LE Dept needs to be held accountable for their actions. Not talking criminal charges are required because maybe their not, but maybe that officer who fired the shot shouldn't be an officer anymore or maybe that particular specialized unit should be disbanded depending on how they have responded to other calls. That town needs to do right by that man...

They went there looking for a man with a gun and they found one. Most cops don't shoot more than the required qualification every year (so they'll clean their gun at least one time per year - not kidding) so he probably died slowly too. People shoot people that don't need to be shot all the time. Cops, CCLs, gangbangers especially.

If you are going to involve yourself in a situation like this you have to decide if it is worth it to YOU. Will your family be ok without your income? Will you be OK with some other dude raising your kids? These aren't easy questions that everyone answers the same way.

Highly suggest giving this book a read: https://www.amazon.com/dp/057820200X/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_9BYQDKHSCD3V7F9WW0Y2

Knowing the world of crap that I would be in for a defensive shooting, no matter what the circumstances were, I doubt that as a concealed carrier I would step forward and become involved for other than myself, my family, and others known to me personally. Witnessing a dangerous, perhaps deadly situation, I would hopefully ensure the safety of my family and myself, use my phone to call the police, and keep my gun concealed unless I needed it to defend against a personal or family attack.

They went there looking for a man with a gun and they found one. Most cops don't shoot more than the required qualification every year (so they'll clean their gun at least one time per year - not kidding) so he probably died slowly too. People shoot people that don't need to be shot all the time. Cops, CCLs, gangbangers especially.

If you are going to involve yourself in a situation like this you have to decide if it is worth it to YOU. Will your family be ok without your income? Will you be OK with some other dude raising your kids? These aren't easy questions that everyone answers the same way.

Highly suggest giving this book a read: https://www.amazon.com/dp/057820200X/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_9BYQDKHSCD3V7F9WW0Y2

I have taken enough training classes to know this, a few of my customers are from the Chicago firearm training unit. I have asked them that question and they confirmed it, most LE only practice shooting 1 month b4 quals and never clean their gun. Yes, dirty gun for 10yrs, if not longer. Was born and raised in a gang infested neighborhood in Chicago and know innocent bystanders murdered by gangbangers who were shooting at someone on the sidewalk and hit the bystander in a 2nd floor apartment. The Colorado LE Dept admitted this guy was a hero. Something went wrong, and if I'm going to put the onus of bad judgment (putting that lightly), it goes to LE. This guy made a split second decision to do the right thing, may not have followed proper protocols to announce himself to LE when they approached, and got killed (I didn't say murdered). As conceal carry holders, we support and defend LE, in this situation I am not defending LE and am going to choose the side of the CCL holder. Unless new evidence arises that he seriously compromised himself in this situation, I am defending the CCL holder. In another situation, I might choose the LE's side, but this time I am defending the CCL Holder.

I have taken enough training classes to know this, a few of my customers are from the Chicago firearm training unit. I have asked them that question and they confirmed it, most LE only practice shooting 1 month b4 quals and never clean their gun. Yes, dirty gun for 10yrs, if not longer. Was born and raised in a gang infested neighborhood in Chicago and know innocent bystanders murdered by gangbangers who were shooting at someone on the sidewalk and hit the bystander in a 2nd floor apartment. The Colorado LE Dept admitted this guy was a hero. Something went wrong, and if I'm going to put the onus of bad judgment (putting that lightly), it goes to LE. This guy made a split second decision to do the right thing, may not have followed proper protocols to announce himself to LE when they approached, and got killed (I didn't say murdered). As conceal carry holders, we support and defend LE, in this situation I am not defending LE and am going to choose the side of the CCL holder. Unless new evidence arises that he seriously compromised himself in this situation, I am defending the CCL holder. In another situation, I might choose the LE's side, but this time I am defending the CCL Holder.

I'm more of the mind that choices were made and outcomes resulted. I don't see sides here.

Archived