Hey all, hopefully you can provide some insight to a couple of questions. I am a veteran, honorably discharged. I have had no run-ins with law enforcement aside from a speeding ticket. I applied for my FOID earlier this month (June), and within less than two weeks it came back as denied?? Im baffled. Apparently ISP mails a letter advising why they came to this conclusion. Any idea how long this takes to receive?

What I believe happened is a miscommunication of one of two things. First as you are aware, upon completion of the application there is the question, Within the past 5 years (preceding the date of this application), have you been a patient in a mental institution or any part of a medical facility for the treatment of mental illness?. I answered yes to this question as I have been diagnosed with anxiety and PTSD. However, I have never been ordered by the courts, or otherwise been institutionalized for mental impairment. Since anxiety and PTSD fall under the category of a mental illness, I am seen monthly by my family doctor. I am not mentally unstable, nor do I pose a threat. Second, I realized after looking into this further, that my address in the FOID application does not match the address on my IL drivers license, I understand this will cause a denial.

My question is, what the next steps? I have logged into and updated my address on the Secretary of States website, but will this require an appeal as its in a denied status? If so, whats the timeline and steps to resolve this? I believe if it had to do with my medical history, somebody could have reached out, so that I may clarify that its my primary care physician providing treatment. I look forward to any feedback on the this, and apologize for the long post.

Thank you.

Hey all, hopefully you can provide some insight to a couple of questions. I am a veteran, honorably discharged. I have had no run-ins with law enforcement aside from a speeding ticket. I applied for my FOID earlier this month (June), and within less than two weeks it came back as denied?? Im baffled. Apparently ISP mails a letter advising why they came to this conclusion. Any idea how long this takes to receive?

What I believe happened is a miscommunication of one of two things. First as you are aware, upon completion of the application there is the question, Within the past 5 years (preceding the date of this application), have you been a patient in a mental institution or any part of a medical facility for the treatment of mental illness?. I answered yes to this question as I have been diagnosed with anxiety and PTSD. However, I have never been ordered by the courts, or otherwise been institutionalized for mental impairment. Since anxiety and PTSD fall under the category of a mental illness, I am seen monthly by my family doctor. I am not mentally unstable, nor do I pose a threat. Second, I realized after looking into this further, that my address in the FOID application does not match the address on my IL drivers license, I understand this will cause a denial.

My question is, what the next steps? I have logged into and updated my address on the Secretary of States website, but will this require an appeal as its in a denied status? If so, whats the timeline and steps to resolve this? I believe if it had to do with my medical history, somebody could have reached out, so that I may clarify that its my primary care physician providing treatment. I look forward to any feedback on the this, and apologize for the long post.

Thank you.

You equated "been a patient" with "have you been treated for", which is not the same thing. See the definition of "patient" from the statute. Therefore, you "inadvertently answered YES" to a question that required a "NO" answer. This would be an informal appeal.

"Patient" means:

(1) a person who is admitted as an inpatient or

resident of a public or private mental health facility for mental health treatment under Chapter III of the Mental Health and Developmental Disabilities Code as an informal admission, a voluntary admission, a minor admission, an emergency admission, or an involuntary admission, unless the treatment was solely for an alcohol abuse disorder; or
(2) a person who voluntarily or involuntarily
receives mental health treatment as an out-patient or is otherwise provided services by a public or private mental health facility, and who poses a clear and present danger to himself, herself, or to others.