Illinois General Assembly 6/16/2021

mauserme

OK, I have been slammed at work and not been able to follow. Yet reading the last post it looks like I have to go get a tattoo of 666 on my forehead for buy a gun?

Does the mark replace the FOID card? Am i able to carry with mark and not have to have a CCL anymore? Just trying to figure out what passed.

There's a lot going on with this bill and some fatal flaws we shouldn't talk about that could doom the entire FOID. Gun violence is a public health hazard so the dems decided that institutional racism (which is also a public health hazard now: Mayor Lori Lightoot says racism a public health crisis in Chicago - Chicago Tribune). The idea of the bill is to keep people that do not have much money and/or enjoy marijuana from owning firearms by increasing fees and creating a felony trap for private transfers. The language they have used to say what groups they are targeting with this is painfully similar to the language used to prioritize communities for COVID vaccines and aid. The bill also puts the burden of proof on the person appealing a board ruling rather than on the state to prove their case and relaxes or eliminates many of the time limits.

On the bright side, if you have fingerprints on file your FOID and CCL will be renewed every time you buy a new firearm. It also allows for an electronic system that will somehow make the state police more efficient. So for someone with the means to buy firearms regularly and for the firearms makers/sellers (NSSF) this is a pretty good bill. For someone that wants to have a firearm to defend their family because the police can't be trusted to do even the most basic of things, like seizing firearms from felons like the Aurora shooter, and has to balance that against basic needs like food and shelter this is pretty devastating.

There's a lot going on with this bill and some fatal flaws we shouldn't talk about that could doom the entire FOID. Gun violence is a public health hazard so the dems decided that institutional racism (which is also a public health hazard now: Mayor Lori Lightoot says racism a public health crisis in Chicago - Chicago Tribune). The idea of the bill is to keep people that do not have much money and/or enjoy marijuana from owning firearms by increasing fees and creating a felony trap for private transfers. The language they have used to say what groups they are targeting with this is painfully similar to the language used to prioritize communities for COVID vaccines and aid. The bill also puts the burden of proof on the person appealing a board ruling rather than on the state to prove their case and relaxes or eliminates many of the time limits.

On the bright side, if you have fingerprints on file your FOID and CCL will be renewed every time you buy a new firearm. It also allows for an electronic system that will somehow make the state police more efficient. So for someone with the means to buy firearms regularly and for the firearms makers/sellers (NSSF) this is a pretty good bill. For someone that wants to have a firearm to defend their family because the police can't be trusted to do even the most basic of things, like seizing firearms from felons like the Aurora shooter, and has to balance that against basic needs like food and shelter this is pretty devastating.

There is no such thing as gun violence ! We need to stop using PC terminology. There is however plenty of violence being committed by criminals and gang members. The bought and paid for by George Soros Cook county States Attorney has no plans to prosecute her buddies. If, however you are a decent human being forced to defend yourself or another, look out!

There is no such thing as gun violence ! We need to stop using PC terminology. There is however plenty of violence being committed by criminals and gang members. The bought and paid for by George Soros Cook county States Attorney has no plans to prosecute her buddies. If, however you are a decent human being forced to defend yourself or another, look out!

While I appreciate the sentiment, using a different phrase would have made it hard to drop that link that shows their hypocrisy.

So everyones p*****, I get it, so am I. We live in an anti gun state. The majority of voters want this crap and they are getting it. Another work place shooting and who knows what else they’ll throw at us. But we stay, for a myriad of reasons. We fight like heck and lose big sometimes. Fifty years ago when I got my FOID and first gun I asked the owner of Park Blvd gun shop in Glen Ellen what the purpose of the card was. “To come collect them they decide to”was his reply, Ive never forgotten it and joined the NRA not long after. When I bought that first revolver there were not walls of high powered semi autos in every shop, bolt guns, shotguns and low cap hand guns were the norm. No one carried anything legally, that was a pipe dream back then. Now an individual can be better armed than some police departments and individuals can carry. We’ve come a long way and we are still fighting like heck, the courts gave us CC, maybe they will take out the FOID system, maybe they will just force it to work in a timely matter. We don't know but we still stay in a system we know does not agree with us almost totally. So feeding on one and other serves no purpose, we all need to completely understand what’s coming now and how we deal with it. An almost 200 page bill doesn’t just say we have to track private sales. Are FOID application/renewals going to be processed as required, Pearson, “ the traitor” believes so. I don’t know, but I choose to stay until a state enacted round up is implemented. Almost anything else we, myself, can deals with. So when any of us ask question cut the snarky replies and just offer the information please.

Yes, recap please. What changes now.

HB562 ("Modernization") passed house reconciliation, but has been held in the house for reconsideration. Either the reconsideration has to be withdrawn or it has to pass the house again. Either way, it's not law.

HB1092 (red flag expansion) passed house reconciliation and has been sent to the governor for signing. Soon it will be law.

Meanwhile HB1091 ("Fix the FOID") passed the house previously and is still held in the house for reconsideration. It was never sent to the senate. It is not law.

So everyones p*****, I get it, so am I. We live in an anti gun state. The majority of voters want this crap and they are getting it. Another work place shooting and who knows what else they’ll throw at us. But we stay, for a myriad of reasons. We fight like heck and lose big sometimes. Fifty years ago when I got my FOID and first gun I asked the owner of Park Blvd gun shop in Glen Ellen what the purpose of the card was. “To come collect them they decide to”was his reply, Ive never forgotten it and joined the NRA not long after. When I bought that first revolver there were not walls of high powered semi autos in every shop, bolt guns, shotguns and low cap hand guns were the norm. No one carried anything legally, that was a pipe dream back then. Now an individual can be better armed than some police departments and individuals can carry. We’ve come a long way and we are still fighting like heck, the courts gave us CC, maybe they will take out the FOID system, maybe they will just force it to work in a timely matter. We don't know but we still stay in a system we know does not agree with us almost totally. So feeding on one and other serves no purpose, we all need to completely understand what’s coming now and how we deal with it. An almost 200 page bill doesn’t just say we have to track private sales. Are FOID application/renewals going to be processed as required, Pearson, “ the traitor” believes so. I don’t know, but I choose to stay until a state enacted round up is implemented. Almost anything else we, myself, can deals with. So when any of us ask question cut the snarky replies and just offer the information please.

What I want to know is this business about the FOID/CCL being renewed EVERY time you buy a firearm. Does this mean it becomes a purchase and not possession permit, outside having a carry permit?

While I appreciate the sentiment, using a different phrase would have made it hard to drop that link that shows their hypocrisy.

They are politicians and/or democrats. is not showing hypocrisy redundant? :)

The nice thing is we live in a Republic so the wishes of the majority can't trample on the rights of the minority (in theory at least). If we lived in a Democracy, then the minority would be screwed.

From Todd via his IL Gun Lobby FB page

"Roll call on HB-562 8 republicans supported a registry of private sales and only one downstate dem voted NO"

So who were the 8 republicans who supported it and who is the downstate dem who voted NO?

I know my [@#$%&!] GOP rep Chris Bos voted yes. Just wrote him a scathing email.

Edited by mauserme, Today, 01:27 PM.

Removed an adjective

Believe it or not, that was the tamest, yet fitting adjective I could think of. I know he is going to reply back that the vote was irrelevant and he was just avoiding ammunition for the competition during the next reelection cycle. Hogwash. That's Coward speak there. I'm not buying that line of crap.

There are some things in this bill that are really interesting. We may end up singing the praises of the ISRA for this bill later.

I love that SCOTUS is starting to build case law around strict scrutiny although I hope they apply it to something sooner than this law would make it to them. This quote from FULTON ET AL. v. CITY OF PHILADELPHIA, PENNSYLVANIA, ET AL. brought some light to my day today. Now if they could kick back a few 2A cases the same way to send a clear message,

“The refusal of Philadelphia to contract with CSS for the provision of foster care services unless it agrees to certify same-sex couples as foster parents cannot survive strict scrutiny, and violates the First Amendment,” Chief Justice John Roberts wrote.

Edited by mauserme, Today, 01:27 PM.

Removed an adjective

Believe it or not, that was the tamest, yet fitting adjective I could think of. I know he is going to reply back that the vote was irrelevant and he was just avoiding ammunition for the competition during the next reelection cycle. Hogwash. That's Coward speak there. I'm not buying that line of crap.

It's not that I disagree with what you posted ...

So with this being effective immediately, my FOID and CCL (prints on file) will renew automatically this fall if I just buy a new gun?

Just spent some time reading the bill, it looks like the media has been misreporting the dual renewal. If the bill passes, your FOID will renew automatically with every purchase or renewal starting January 1, 2023. It also cannot expire if your CCL is still valid. You still have to pay to renew the CCL and jump through those hoops. The electronic FOID also changed from ISP shall create to ISP may create. The other thing that caught my attention is the requirement to study changing the driver's license background for prohibited persons.

So with this being effective immediately, my FOID and CCL (prints on file) will renew automatically this fall if I just buy a new gun?

Just spent some time reading the bill, it looks like the media has been misreporting the dual renewal. If the bill passes, your FOID will renew automatically with every purchase or renewal starting January 1, 2023. It also cannot expire if your CCL is still valid. You still have to pay to renew the CCL and jump through those hoops. The electronic FOID also changed from ISP shall create to ISP may create. The other thing that caught my attention is the requirement to study changing the driver's license background for prohibited persons.

The problem with the color coded DL background is you introduce yet another agency into doing background checks.

Secretary of State would need to do a BGC to determine who is/might be prohibited in order to determine what color to use.

Ummmmm, no thanks, there is NO NEED for a BGC for a DL.

The only other possible way to do it is use a different color for FOID &/or CCL holders and simply declare others as “prohibited” thus instantly identifying who has what. THAT’S even worse.

The problem with the color coded DL background is you introduce yet another agency into doing background checks.

Secretary of State would need to do a BGC to determine who is/might be prohibited in order to determine what color to use.

The only other possible way to do it is use a different color for FOID &/or CCL holders and simply declare others as “prohibited” thus instantly identifying who has what. THAT’S even worse.

Not only that, but it would also seem to introduce an invasion of privacy. Anyone who you have to show your DL to will then know you're a prohibited person

Not only that, but it would also seem to introduce an invasion of privacy. Anyone who you have to show your DL to will then know you're a prohibited person

Not that I'm supporting them but a different color for registered sex offenders would be next.

If your prohibited and a sex offender, stripes?

Not that I'm supporting them but a different color for registered sex offenders would be next.

I'm not saying there aren't problems with the idea, but invasion of privacy isn't one of them. Felony convictions and sex offender registries are public records.

I'm not saying there aren't problems with the idea, but invasion of privacy isn't one of them. Felony convictions and sex offender registries are public records.

I took it as recognition that the FOID might be in danger and they need a plan B.

And for what reason have the color coded background. Additionally SOME reasons for prohibited go away. What then?

Correction, the colored background was the 92nd assembly so 10 years ago.

13 © The Secretary of State shall conduct a study to 14 determine the cost and feasibility of creating a method of 15 adding an identifiable code, background, or other means on the 16 driver's license or Illinois Identification Card to show that 17 an individual is not disqualified from owning or possessing a 18 firearm under State or federal law. The Secretary shall report 19 the findings of this study 12 months after the effective date 20 of this amendatory Act of the 92nd General Assembly.

Yes, recap please. What changes now.

HB562 ("Modernization") passed house reconciliation, but has been held in the house for reconsideration. Either the reconsideration has to be withdrawn or it has to pass the house again. Either way, it's not law.HB1092 (red flag expansion) passed house reconciliation and has been sent to the governor for signing. Soon it will be law.Meanwhile HB1091 ("Fix the FOID") passed the house previously and is still held in the house for reconsideration. It was never sent to the senate. It is not law.
Would be interesting to see a revote on HB0562...do they require 60 votes or 71? Is there a time frame for when the reconsideration must be withdrawn or when a revote must occur?

Reconsideration motion for HB1091 was removed in the House. Not sent to Senate.

Would be interesting to see a revote on HB0562...do they require 60 votes or 71? Is there a time frame for when the reconsideration must be withdrawn or when a revote must occur?

It will likely be sent the next time the Senate is in session, even a perfunctory session - perhaps for the veto session.

People got played in a big way with this fiasco.

It will likely be sent the next time the Senate is in session, even a perfunctory session - perhaps for the veto session.

People got played in a big way with this fiasco.

Me thinks Mauserme is spot on in his statement. I'm so convinced that this was the new ILL-ANNOY version of 3 card monty I'd be literally shocked if that wasn't the case.

BTW and for the record, my rep, Batinick® voted YES on 562 and the Red Flag expansion. Then after it passed the senate and back to the house, he voted No.

I don't know what happened to him over the last period of time, but he use to be a gentleman we could count on to be on our side. Anyway, life goes on. Have a great weekend everyone, stay safe, cool, and smile!!! :) We could live in California!!!!!

Archived