Private Sale

Stew45

I was just curious if a seller has any obligation to provide all of their information such as address and photo of foid/ID to a buyer when doing a private sale. Maybe Im strange but for some reason Im somewhat skeptical giving my address out to some random person online that Ive never met. Is this necessary and am I concerned about something I shouldnt be?

I dont believe its any requirement but I think you will find many are going to want a bill of sale with the data, especially if theres a 10 yr, for now, records requirement, although the ISP should be able to pull the address assciated with FOID

PRIVATE FIREARM TRANSFER RESPONSE

This system is for the sole purpose of determining the validity of a FOID card in compliance with 430 ILCS 65/3(a-10) for a private firearm transfer. This system shall not be used by Federal Firearm Licensed Dealers in replace of the Firearm Transfer Inquiry Program.

TO DETERMINE THE VALIDITY OF A FOID CARD FOR A FIREARM TRANSFER AND RECEIVE A TRANSFER APPROVAL NUMBER, please enter the FOID card number and date of birth of the person (buyer/transferee) to whom you will be transferring the firearm. Approved firearm transfers will be issued an approval number, which are to be retained for a period of 10 years.

I dont believe its any requirement but I think you will find many are going to want a bill of sale with the data, especially if theres a 10 yr, for now, records requirement, although the ISP should be able to pull the address assciated with FOID

This system is for the sole purpose of determining the validity of a FOID card in compliance with 430 ILCS 65/3(a-10) for a private firearm transfer. This system shall not be used by Federal Firearm Licensed Dealers in replace of the Firearm Transfer Inquiry Program.

TO DETERMINE THE VALIDITY OF A FOID CARD FOR A FIREARM TRANSFER AND RECEIVE A TRANSFER APPROVAL NUMBER, please enter the FOID card number and date of birth of the person (buyer/transferee) to whom you will be transferring the firearm. Approved firearm transfers will be issued an approval number, which are to be retained for a period of 10 years.

I understand that but a bill of sale or private transfer on ISP is only asking for the sellers name and then I’ve seen foid # included but not address and DL numbers I can’t see why anyone would need that.

I understand that but a bill of sale or private transfer on ISP is only asking for the sellers name and then I’ve seen foid # included but not address and DL numbers I can’t see why anyone would need that.

I recommend not including your DL number (or date of birth and lots of other things) on an invoice. Name, address, and maybe FOID number as a seller should be sufficient for records. Legitimate buyers want to know that sellers are legitimate, too. Even though for most things, "the man" doesn't need to know, if there's a reason why a police investigation needs to know from whom a buyer bought a firearm, it would be good if the buyer could say. Otherwise a buyer would/should be suspicious of why the seller wants to hide.

No legal requirement to give the buyer your address, photo, ID, etc. Some buyers do want that much info, but it's your choice as to how much information you want to give them.

What about the seller? Does the buyer have to provide that info? I remember it being just name, dob, and foid number.

I can’t see why that would be necessary. FOID number and DOB is enough for ISP approval. Then compare foid card to approval during transaction to verify everything is correct and they are who they have claimed to be.

Archived