ISRA on the dodge

Felixd

On 9/25/2021 at 2:30 AM, cope said:

I will pass. I try to make it a habit of not supporting the opposition.

If you are an ISRA member, consider this your chance to bring your concerns to ISRA leadership when they show up at these meetings.

I did.  I have.  I will continue to do so.

Whether or not you are an ISRA member, attending meetings like this is more for the benefit of the attendees, not the ISRA.

On 10/5/2021 at 12:48 AM, mab22 said:

I hope they and other 2A Illinois orgs investigate this

On 10/5/2021 at 2:22 AM, mikew said:

Not the job of 2A orgs. 

People will sure comment on it though.

I agree that it's not the responsibility of 2A organizations to investigate the prosecutor's office.

Police, prosecutors, and judges all have powers of discretion not to arrest, not to prosecute, and to dismiss. If the prosecutor is guilty of abuse of discretion (which typically means not prosecuting for criminal reasons), then the issue would need to be investigated by the court system itself or the bar association. Incompetence alone is not a crime, anyway.

The ISRA and other 2A organizations, as political actors, are civil rights advocates.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone read the latest article in The Illinois Shooter written by David Lombardo? It looks like another, and the latest, coat of paint over the chipped and rusted lament that the members who complain about the ISRA just don't understand how the game it played, can't figure out how the system works. He doesn't like it that members who speak out "ruffle feathers". Apparently the membership is to sit by quietly and never scrutinize the exalted leadership. They're the Big Boys, they know better. You just stay in your place. You are just a bull in a china shop.  Now sit still and shut up. 

Mr. Lombardo would have served his cause better if he had just let the issue fester and die. The article is insulting. I hope a lot of members read it. This ought to cause even more scrutiny of our "advocate" group and how they make decisions. 

On 10/20/2021 at 11:02 AM, EdDinIL said:

Apologies for the wall of images. 

It's a two-column article.  Pics 1-3 are column 1.  Pics 4-6 are column 2.

1:

20211020_105546.jpg

2:

20211020_105554.jpg

3:

20211020_105604.jpg

4:

20211020_105618.jpg

5:

20211020_105626.jpg

6:

20211020_105632.jpg

Rosa Parks, really? Wheres the face palm emoji?

I don't think it's just me. What I get out of this article is ISRA giving me the bird telling me they are the "advocates" and "bridge builders" and we are supposed to be the ones that are  agitators? Where are the leaders leading the boots on the ground activities?

They are working on the best deal possible, their words in the article, like im buying a car on maxwell street.

Who was it that complained about the congress being called names, and the congress didn't like it and people were asked to stop, I forget where that came from.

I wonder if the Illinois shooter paper would allow people to reply to ISRA on this article, in their paper?

Some of the same folks saying no one but them can possibly understand the process now, told us the same thing back in 2017/2018 in regard to a bump stock ban.

The ISRA supported a bump stock ban, HB4120 of the 100th General Assembly, telling us this was necessary to avoid bills that would have been worse. One of those worse bills was Senate Amendment 1 on SB2343 of the 100th the General Assembly. We disagreed, telling them that if we stood together in opposition, we could defeat this.

While their bill, HB4120, didn't really gain any traction beyond a bunch of co-sponsors who were led to believe their support would be OK the worse bill, SB2343, did gain traction to the point that it was passed out of the Senate, and was sent to the House.

We, IllinoisCarry, fought both bills with everything we had while the ISRA cut deals.

In the end the worse bill, SB2343, actually had the support of the ISRA before they changed that to a publicly neutral stance. Discussion about their support can be found in our 4/17/2018 Emergency Call to Action, and their lobbyist's witness slip, changed from support to neutral, can be seen here. How bad was this bill? A maximum Class X felony in some cases.

All the while, IllinoisCarry told them they didn't need to do this as we fought against all the bump stock bans of the day (there were 10).

So please Mr. Lombardo, don't tell us we don't understand. We understood then how to stop a bill, and we understand how to do it now when our “allies” are not working against our rights behind their members' backs. As for proof? To this day Illinois does not have a bump stock ban in law, not even the ones you guys supported.

• 3 weeks later...

Wait a minute...wasn't Aurora Sportsman Club one of the entities that came out against the neutral position of ISRA and against the bad bills? Isn't Lombardo the president there? Now he's the guy helping to smooth over the "misunderstanding" the 2nd rights community has regarding the turncoats? How much are they paying him for this from the dues anyway?

Additionally, when ISRA is the entity that's behind so many of the lawsuits in Illinois concerning infringements of the 2nd, who is to blame for their membership not being able to determine the difference between activism and advocacy? 

I'm just itching to hear how bad donations and memberships have declined over the past several months and into the future. That'll underscore the newfound understanding of their previous membership of the distinction between advocacy and activism.

On 11/7/2021 at 11:49 AM, TRJ said:

Wait a minute...wasn't Aurora Sportsman Club one of the entities that came out against the neutral position of ISRA and against the bad bills? Isn't Lombardo the president there? Now he's the guy helping to smooth over the "misunderstanding" the 2nd rights community has regarding the turncoats? How much are they paying him for this from the dues anyway?

He is no longer listed as an officer of the club

https://aurorasc.org/contact-us

On 11/7/2021 at 1:40 PM, Molly B. said:

That makes a little more sense. I know he was the guy when I was a member prior to shipping out. It was a little "odd", or perhaps "coincidental" that his training company was given favored status over other training companies back before they had expanded the back side of the berms into training bays. If you remember the old poster PDPSC, he ran a few companies with Metro Training being one of them. Dan raised a little stink about it around 2014 and was eventually accommodated as were some others like Frank Sharpe of Fortress. Just seemed like everything Lombardo touched had the odor of connected guy on it, I suppose I've learned that's par for the course with Illinois though.

On 11/7/2021 at 12:40 PM, Molly B. said:

Lombardo and his group of “good ‘ole boys” are no longer on the board of the ASC.  The current president is the one who drafted a letter condemning the ISRA on their neutral (in reality pro) stance on several bad bills.  

As a long time member I have to say that the club has made some major improvements since Lombardo is gone.   

Aurora Sportmen's Club Board of Directors votes no confidence in ISRA.

"On June 10, 2021, the Aurora Sportsmen’s Club Board of Directors unanimously approved a motion of no-confidence in the Illinois State Rifle Association’s (ISRA) leadership in defending Illinois gun owners’ Second Amendment rights.

This vote was triggered by the ISRA’s recent “Neutral” position on HB562, the “FOID Modernization” bill. HB562 is not just an anti-gun bill, it is an anti-gun owner bill.

The exact content of the bill was changing rapidly right up through the end of the session. The Senate and the House passed slightly different versions of the bill, therefore the legislation will require a concurrence vote in the house before making its way to the governor’s desk. While this bill has not yet passed into law, it is clear to the board of ASC that the ISRA is willing to:

Negotiate away your rights

Increase the burden on law-abiding gun owners to report private firearms sales through federal firearms license (FFL) dealers

Allows for a new $25 Fee/Tax for person-to-person firearms transfers

Force retention a record of which gun dealer facilitated any person-to-person transfer for 20 years

Make it easier for the state to track private firearms transfers

Not require mandatory destruction of information that the state police collect on person-to-person transfers after a prescribed time

Allow the State of Illinois to collect your fingerprints for simply owning a gun

These are the most recent items from the G-Pac gun-control wishlist that have been peddled to Illinois legislators with the promise that they will reduce “gun violence.” They are the restrictions that YOU are being asked to swallow in exchange for the privilege of not having to renew your FOID card every 10 years for $10 and unifying your FOID and CCL permits into one card. Short of a complete ban, a gun registry is the dream of the gun control lobby. This bill, if passed, gets them one step closer to knowing what guns you own, yet the ISRA is “neutral.”

While the official position of the ISRA on this bill was “neutral” we have learned that they were lobbying legislators to support this act. Members of the ASC Board of Directors spoke with ISRA President Doug Mayhall and one of the ISRA lobbyists attempting to convince them that this was yet another slap-in-the-face to Illinois gun owners that would not be received with the open arms that the ISRA believed it would. Our conversations did not have the desired outcome.

The increased burdens on gun owners to conduct private transfers will impact all residents of Illinois but will be particularly burdensome for Chicago residents due to the lack of retail FFL dealers in the city.

The ASC Board of Directors took no pleasure in this action and hopes that the ISRA will reconsider its position.

On 11/7/2021 at 1:57 PM, Lou said:

While the official position of the ISRA on this bill was “neutral” we have learned that they were lobbying legislators to support this act. Members of the ASC Board of Directors spoke with ISRA President Doug Mayhall and one of the ISRA lobbyists attempting to convince them that this was yet another slap-in-the-face to Illinois gun owners that would not be received with the open arms that the ISRA believed it would. Our conversations did not have the desired outcome.

Pay close attention to that.

Not only did they trade our rights for a feeling of self-importance, but they tried to mislead their members about their actions with with a publicly neutral stance.

Did anyone get their new legislative "Battleflag" yet? 

"1091" ?  

Would you put this on your car?

And I don't see a place on the paperwork telling me how to make that donation electronically.

I wonder what that cost to put together and mail out with my (our) money?  
I wonder how much extra to add the bumpersticker to the mailing?

bumpersticker.jpg

On 11/12/2021 at 9:43 PM, Felixd said:

FYI. David Lombardo will be speaking at the Downers Grove Sportsmen’s Club member’s meeting this Sunday. His stated purpose is to inform the club members about what ISRA does for shooters. Don’t know what else, if anything, will be addressed. 

I predict the focus will be on their Judicial activity because that's on the right track.  

It's their Legislative, their lobbyists, that just don't seem to get it.

Archived