ISRA on the dodge

Felixd

Aurora Sportmen's Club Board of Directors votes no confidence in ISRA.

"On June 10, 2021, the Aurora Sportsmen’s Club Board of Directors unanimously approved a motion of no-confidence in the Illinois State Rifle Association’s (ISRA) leadership in defending Illinois gun owners’ Second Amendment rights.

This vote was triggered by the ISRA’s recent “Neutral” position on HB562, the “FOID Modernization” bill. HB562 is not just an anti-gun bill, it is an anti-gun owner bill.

The exact content of the bill was changing rapidly right up through the end of the session. The Senate and the House passed slightly different versions of the bill, therefore the legislation will require a concurrence vote in the house before making its way to the governor’s desk. While this bill has not yet passed into law, it is clear to the board of ASC that the ISRA is willing to:

Negotiate away your rights

Increase the burden on law-abiding gun owners to report private firearms sales through federal firearms license (FFL) dealers

Allows for a new $25 Fee/Tax for person-to-person firearms transfers

Force retention a record of which gun dealer facilitated any person-to-person transfer for 20 years

Make it easier for the state to track private firearms transfers

Not require mandatory destruction of information that the state police collect on person-to-person transfers after a prescribed time

Allow the State of Illinois to collect your fingerprints for simply owning a gun

These are the most recent items from the G-Pac gun-control wishlist that have been peddled to Illinois legislators with the promise that they will reduce “gun violence.” They are the restrictions that YOU are being asked to swallow in exchange for the privilege of not having to renew your FOID card every 10 years for $10 and unifying your FOID and CCL permits into one card. Short of a complete ban, a gun registry is the dream of the gun control lobby. This bill, if passed, gets them one step closer to knowing what guns you own, yet the ISRA is “neutral.”

While the official position of the ISRA on this bill was “neutral” we have learned that they were lobbying legislators to support this act. Members of the ASC Board of Directors spoke with ISRA President Doug Mayhall and one of the ISRA lobbyists attempting to convince them that this was yet another slap-in-the-face to Illinois gun owners that would not be received with the open arms that the ISRA believed it would. Our conversations did not have the desired outcome.

The increased burdens on gun owners to conduct private transfers will impact all residents of Illinois but will be particularly burdensome for Chicago residents due to the lack of retail FFL dealers in the city.

The ASC Board of Directors took no pleasure in this action and hopes that the ISRA will reconsider its position.

To hear more or ask questions, please attend the ASC General Meeting Under the Tent tomorrow night at 6 P.M. on the east-side ranges. Please register here if you plan to attend"

Things to consider that attach at odd angles:

1. The ISRA sometimes works in the background and apparently writes these "competing" anti-gun bills.
It's all quiet until it's not. Barb Wheeler noted when interviewed that the ISRA helped with her version of the bump-stock ban.

https://patch.com/illinois/crystallake/rep-wheeler-il-rifle-association-work-together-bump-fire-stock-bill

2. Let's say HB562 passes, and the ISRA is in court over some aspect of the FOID: Doesn't their tacit acceptance of the legislation hurt their stance or testimony in court over the civil rights aspect of the FOID card?

Things to consider that attach at odd angles:

1. The ISRA sometimes works in the background and apparently writes these "competing" anti-gun bills.

It's all quiet until it's not. Barb Wheeler noted when interviewed that the ISRA helped with her version of the bump-stock ban.

https://patch.com/illinois/crystallake/rep-wheeler-il-rifle-association-work-together-bump-fire-stock-bill

2. Let's say HB562 passes, and the ISRA is in court over some aspect of the FOID: Doesn't their tacit acceptance of the legislation hurt their stance or testimony in court over the civil rights aspect of the FOID card?

You will find interesting discussion about the bump stock ban in our Emergency Call to Action 4/17/2018 - Oppose Bump Stock Class X Felony, as well as coverage of some committee hearings of the same vintage.

In my opinion, if HB562 were to become law it would jeopardize some if ISRA's own litigation, like Bradley v Kelly.

Where is the direct public statement from the ISRA that they take no stand on said legislation.

You have to look at the witness slips.

HB562

All we need now is a direct public statement from the ISRA about why they didn't oppose the legislation. Now doubt their position will be used against us in the coming weeks. As an ISRA member I'd like to know if they will recant their actions. The future of many relationships with ISRA are hanging in the balance.

Got my head handed to me for suggesting an explanation was due from the ISRA.

https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=534196

The last post was interesting. If it was in reference to HB0562, "never had a chance at becoming law" seems a little too optimistic.

I don't believe for a minute that is the question "many want answered". This sounds like a bunch of silly nonsense fabricated by a loud small group. They didn't support the legislation and why would they even bother to spend a moment's of time developing opposition to legislation they likely knew never had a chance at becoming law? THINK.

Meanwhile, mauserme started a separate thread with a WTTW article, and the ISRA position is clarified somewhat.

https://illinoiscarry.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=78083

Got my head handed to me for suggesting an explanation was due from the ISRA.https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=534196

The facts are the facts. That guy responding to you either doesn't know them or is intentionally obfuscating them

The guy who responded is a know it all. Even when wrong he’ll tell you he’s right.

Got my head handed to me for suggesting an explanation was due from the ISRA.https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=534196

The facts are the facts. That guy responding to you either doesn't know them or is intentionally obfuscating them

The guy who responded is a know it all. Even when wrong he’ll tell you he’s right.

Ya' know, I'll grant he knows how to write about guns and hunting and stuff.

He should stay in that lane.

In all my years of advocating for Second Amendment rights some shotgunners are the hardest to reach.

If shotguns are all they own, there is a high likelihood that they are a FUDD.

This is not the first event in recent history when people, of either/any political persuasion, ignored the truth because they didn't want to believe it. I think it does at least partly explain why the ISRA has not made any public statements: it's relying on the ambiguity of ignorance.

Additionally, notice in the referenced thread that people are confused by which bills the ISRA is openly opposing and which one it is not. The ISRA opposes Fix the FOID and the red flag expansion, so they're assuming the ISRA opposes Modernization as well.

I have no doubt the anti-2A puppeteers are full of glee at the confusion among the pro-2A people.

I just spent 20 minutes on the phone with Richard Pearson at the ISRA. You can call and ask what ever question you have, if he's available. He was very forthcoming, explaining that the ISRA wants to remain a part of the negotiation. That the ant gunners have a super majority plus in both chambers and a willing governor. We are going to get a new law no matter how much we don't want it and its better to remain at that table to help moderate it, we can not stop it if we do not have the numbers. The rest of you, who care, can call the ISRA and get more details. They are pushing hard against fingerprinting for FOID and believes they have the votes to derail it. 1091 is the bill they they are pushing back on the hardest and hope the less draconian 562 is what get passed.

They are not abandoning us, we live in enemy territory ( my analogy, not his) Illinois voters elected this government to do what its doing. None of this is unconstitutional unless A COURT SAYS IT and they are hoping the law suits against the FOID system will help us in the not to distant future. They were neutral because there is no final bill yet and they want to be able to have input in the final proposal which may pass tomorrow.

I just spent 20 minutes on the phone with Richard Pearson at the ISRA. You can call and ask what ever question you have, if he's available. He was very forthcoming, explaining that the ISRA wants to remain a part of the negotiation. That the ant gunners have a super majority plus in both chambers and a willing governor. We are going to get a new law no matter how much we don't want it and its better to remain at that table to help moderate it, we can not stop it if we do not have the numbers. The rest of you, who care, can call the ISRA and get more details. They are pushing hard against fingerprinting for FOID and believes they have the votes to derail it. 1091 is the bill they they are pushing back on the hardest and hope the less draconian 562 is what get passed.

They are not abandoning us, we live in enemy territory ( my analogy, not his) Illinois voters elected this government to do what its doing. None of this is unconstitutional unless A COURT SAYS IT and they are hoping the law suits against the FOID system will help us in the not to distant future. They were neutral because there is no final bill yet and they want to be able to have input in the final proposal which may pass tomorrow.

They don't have the votes in the Senate to pass HB1091 because of the fingerprint mandate. That's why it's been held in the House.

They are filing neutral witness slips on actual bills, HB562 being the one in committee tomorrow and on the House concurrence calendar. They've gone out on this limb alone. They have no support from anyone but the anti-gun groups.

Archived