ISRA on the dodge

Felixd

I have no confidence in those we entrust (and pay) to fight for our civil rights when they decide that a bit more good than bad exists in a piece of legislation and assume it acceptable. Any portion of a civil right controlled, and not protected, by government is a problem. We’ve lived under a state government that has assumed that anything having to do with a gun is a privilege and not a right for far too long. We are in the position we find ourselves in today because of compromise 53 years ago. Last weeks activity is a continuation.

But, perhaps the most egregious element to this is the failure of our state organization to clarify what happened. As long as the ISRA leadership maintains silence on this matter the wider the wound becomes. The silence echoes arrogance in leadership that has forgotten its responsibilities to its membership. The wound cannot be allowed to fester.

This has been a most interesting reading. Recently, I asked about what organizations to support as I am already an endowment NRA member. I have not however, donated anything to the NRA in several years as I'm on a limited income and I'm tired of their incessant requests.

Several people opined that of the groups I had mentioned in that other thread (SAF, ISRA, GOA, & FPC), nobody had really heard of the Firearms Policy Coalition (FPC) but thought the other three would be good but with ISRA being first. With what is posted here, it seems as if they should at least be moved to last place for the time being.

Sad, isn't it? NRA and nos ISRA. :(

As much as I am irritated by what appears to be obvious actions of the ISRA leadership I shall still continue to donate money to fight for our civil rights. To give nothing weakens what headway we've made over the last several years and emboldens our opponents. The same applies to the NRA. As long as I make donations I have a voice in what happens. To pull support and not contribute gives the opposition what it wants, a fractured and weakened organization.

I've thought for years that the ISRA is run by Fudds.

Guess I (unfortunately) was correct.

It's frustrating that gun owners can't depend on organizations like the NRA and ISRA to actually have our best interests at heart instead of their own.

Equally frustrating is the divisions on the pro gun side that keep everyone from pulling the oars in the same direction.

Politics are based on long term relationships, and these define the parameters of what is possible.

Pearson MIGHT have been confronted with a (MANUFACTURED??) situation where it was akin to "throwing the baby out with the bathwater".

It sure sounds like one of those "damned if you do, damned if you don't " traps, and since our enemies are now systematically attacking organized gunowners in toto through our organizations and their leaders, I find it plausable. Especially when they are targeting the effective ones. I'd say that Pearson is #2 to Todd's #1 as far as hated gun people go in Illinois.

Look at the results - Pearson is either cut off from someone in the ISP, or some of the members of the ISRA take offense.

Some grabber is probably hugging themselves in glee right now, giggling hysterically reading this thread.

edit 6-15-2021: This was based on the benefit of the doubt. That doubt is rapidly evaporating.

the silence is deafening. Plus a LOT of ISRA members are taking offense.

If those two abominations called law pass and shackle us, Pearson or the ISRA or both are toast.

Where the h E double pitchforks were the other lobbyists?

We're gonna have to tie those bills / laws up in lawsuits pronto.

Politics are based on long term relationships, and these define the parameters of what is possible.

Pearson MIGHT have been confronted with a (MANUFACTURED??) situation where it was akin to "throwing the baby out with the bathwater".

It sure sounds like one of those "damned if you do, damned if you don't " traps, and since our enemies are now systematically attacking organized gunowners in toto through our organizations and their leaders, I find it plausable. Especially when they are targeting the effective ones. I'd say that Pearson is #2 to Todd's #1 as far as hated gun people go in Illinois.

Look at the results - Pearson is either cut off from someone in the ISP, or some of the members of the ISRA take offense.

Some grabber is probably hugging themselves in glee right now, giggling hysterically reading this thread.

It is most unfortunate that all the members of ISRA can do is speculate. We simply do not know what transpired other than a bad piece of legislation was tacitly approved by leadership. Without Mr. Pearson actually confronting the issue and making distinct statement about what happened speculation and insinuation will continue to undermine the foundation that he helped build.

I disagree....... for the second time its better if he keeps his mouth shut

The only plausible explanation he could give is that he worked out a deal to lessen things if he did not oppose the bill... and when they dont lessen things and the bill finally does pass he will just say he was betrayed.

IMO.... thats not a good enough answer!

If they had remained silent and later said their silence was part of the deal then more people would understand. He did not remain silent. They explicitly filed Neutral.

While not saying they support the bill....... they are definitely saying they were not opposed to anything in the bill by filing Neutral.

Its better to lose some of your supporting members by remaining silent now (and deservedly so), than all of them by admitting you stabbed them in the back.

My wallet is closed for business.

You really don’t want to know how sausage and laws are made.

I learned as a kid how sausage was made. As a butcher's kid I learned a LOT. And I made a lot of sausage. Ate it too.

As an adult I started getting an education on how laws are made - at least in Illinois....

It's not so much the process of making it that's being questioned.

It's whether the thing you make is good, whether it's something you would want to serve your guests. You don't want them leaving, saying things like maybe it will be better next time. Maybe it will actually be sausage instead of the garbage that should have been thrown out.

The question is about being able to tell the difference between the things that should go into the sausage, and the garbage.

It is reasonable to think that the Modernization bill gave cover to some Dems who were feeling pressure to vote for the Fix the FOID, thus making that bill more difficult to get pass. It’s also my understanding that many of the sponsors of the Fix the FOID bill were not going to vote for the Modernization bill unless it mandated fingerprints. In the end, both bills being out there may be fracturing overall support, leading to no bill passing. Like 10 clowns trying to fit in a Volkswagen, and all of them get stuck. Whether that is or was ISRA’s intent isn’t known. I have my doubts, but given the nature of negotiations and what’s agreed to be said and not said publicly, we might never know. I very much doubt we’ll know any time soon, since neither bill is really dead yet…they’re just in post-session purgatory and potentially still being negotiated for the Fall or next Spring.

Continued silence from the ISRA will only cause the growing wound to be poisoned. There will remain a growing suspicion by many members of their values and ideology as long as the events of the 31st are not clarified. It is easy to predict that the ramifications of that suspicion can be lower contributions, just at the time they will need even more, and lower confidence in the major player for our side. Damage has been done internally to the ISRA. If Mr. Pearson really cares about our civil right he needs to speak up now. No one is calling for his head, just a full and honest accounting of what and why things went they way they did. Our civil right is far more important than anyone's ego.

Continued silence from the ISRA will only cause the growing wound to be poisoned. There will remain a growing suspicion by many members of their values and ideology as long as the events of the 31st are not clarified. It is easy to predict that the ramifications of that suspicion can be lower contributions, just at the time they will need even more, and lower confidence in the major player for our side. Damage has been done internally to the ISRA. If Mr. Pearson really cares about our civil right he needs to speak up now. No one is calling for his head, just a full and honest accounting of what and why things went they way they did. Our civil right is far more important than anyone's ego.

You would need to look further than just the events of May 31, to understand it all.

IllinoisCarry started fighting various versions of FOID Modernization with a 3/21/2021 alert on HB745 and a 4/11/2021 alert on SB1165. These weren't quite to the point of eliminating private transfers, verging on registration. Not yet. But they had been in negotiations for many months and were bad from the start.

You would need to look further than just the events of May 31, to understand it all.

IllinoisCarry started fighting various versions of FOID Modernization with a 3/21/2021 alert on HB745 and a 4/11/2021 alert on SB1165. These weren't quite to the point of eliminating private transfers, verging on registration. Not yet. But they had been in negotiations for many months and were bad from the start.

"These weren't quite to the point of eliminating private transfers, verging on registration."

That's not hyperbole.

Check out Capitol Fax today 6/10 the article about fix the FOID mentions the ISRA being neutral amd was mentioned by one of the commentors.

• Progress on gun control that is not opposed by ISRA? What’s the holdup?

CapitolFax

ISRA wasn't neutral on Fix the FOID. It was/is neutral on "Modernization," although they do share some provisions in common.

But, here we are 10 days later without clarification from the ISRA. It does appear from their silence that they are, in fact, dodging responsibility for their position on a piece of anti-gun legislation, whether its masked in the title “modernization “ or not. A statement clarifying what happened is necessary to preserve confidence in the organization and its leadership. It is also necessary because without a statement their lack of opposition will be portrayed as tacit support by Democrats and their press corp. The portrayal of approval will be used repeatedly against the ISRA and anyone else who opposes the left.

Its interesting the ASC Past President is the now VP of ISRA....

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

That past president appeared to be very effective at turning around the circumstances of ASC for the better (ie, saving it from going under), caveat being I let my membership there lapse and did not follow all of the details. I realize that others may have differing opinions.

ETA: is that past president still on the board at ASC?

Its interesting the ASC Past President is the now VP of ISRA....

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

That past president appeared to be very effective at turning around the circumstances of ASC for the better (ie, saving it from going under), caveat being I let my membership there lapse and did not follow all of the details. I realize that others may have differing opinions.

ETA: is that past president still on the board at ASC?

No.

Archived