ISRA on the dodge

Felixd

I find it disturbing that IRSA has dodged reporting their political activity with respect to their willingness to compromise with Democrats on the 31st. The organization does not even allude to their support, or passive acceptance, of anti-gun legislation in Pearsons Thursday missive to members. Instead he poorly attempts to deliver an empty explanation without reason. Personally, the Thursday email is insulting. Its as if a child has done something obviously wrong and tries to hide it with complicated rhetoric and were supposed to just say that its OK. Its not OK. Nothing useful comes from compromising with people who have no integrity.

I think the membership is deserving of a full explanation and not the CYA tripe of todays email.

The ISRA is effective when they need to be (especially with lawsuits, no doubt about that). They do need to adapt a little better to the times though, which includes realizing that compromises (I say that loosely) just delay the inevitable (like what the antis tried to do with the red flag law) and they need to be firm that NO is the answer. Isn’t it better to fight a very bad law in court instead of a watered down one that might not make a good case?

ISRA also needs to see how the antis are marketing (socialMedia, etc) and copy it. All IL gun orgs do. That’s how to recruit and reach more people. Funding is an issue, I know (they are much better funded), but now’s the time to adapt to the modern era and learn a bit from our opponents

I find it disturbing that IRSA has dodged reporting their political activity with respect to their willingness to compromise with Democrats on the 31st. The organization does not even allude to their support, or passive acceptance, of anti-gun legislation in Pearsons Thursday missive to members. Instead he poorly attempts to deliver an empty explanation without reason. Personally, the Thursday email is insulting. Its as if a child has done something obviously wrong and tries to hide it with complicated rhetoric and were supposed to just say that its OK. Its not OK. Nothing useful comes from compromising with people who have no integrity.

I think the membership is deserving of a full explanation and not the CYA tripe of todays email.

I guess I missed the compromise. Honest question, what did ISRA compromise on with the opposition? Just a question, nothing else. I get the same emails each Thursday, but perhaps I missed something.

I guess I missed the compromise. Honest question, what did ISRA compromise on with the opposition? Just a question, nothing else. I get the same emails each Thursday, but perhaps I missed something.

They didnt compromise.... they stabbed us in the back.

The very harmful bills thankfully didnt pass despite their betrayal. They could have kept their mouths shut, instead they openly came out as Neutral which gave the Dems plenty of ammo to get those bills passed next time around. The Dems even mentioned on the floor that ISRA was not opposed to what they were trying to do.

They cant claim to be working for us and then so blatantly work against us.

The compromise lays in ISRA neutrality on the FOID modernization bill. The bill was less severe than the Fix the FOID proposal, but still added additional limitations to the current law the particulars of which can be seen in a review of this forum. Only the ISRA can say why they chose to give tacit support to a Bill that adds additional controls over existing law. If anyone read the Thursday ISRA email message without knowing what transpired on May 31st. they could miss the root of the problem. We are just fortunate that the clock ran out ending the matter until the veto session in the fall. Regardless the bill is not dead and now carries the weight of ISRA tacit approval.

The details are uncertain, but there is the appearance that the ISRA had some backroom discussions about the content of the "Modernization" bill(s), possibly getting some favorable conditions for gun owners in exchange for publicly not opposing the overall bill. Nothing has been stated explicitly.

BTW, I got paper mail today urging me to help fight "Fix the FOID."

The compromise lays in ISRA neutrality on the FOID modernization bill. The bill was less severe than the Fix the FOID proposal, but still added additional limitations to the current law the particulars of which can be seen in a review of this forum. Only the ISRA can say why they chose to give tacit support to a Bill that adds additional controls over existing law. If anyone read the Thursday ISRA email message without knowing what transpired on May 31st. they could miss the root of the problem. We are just fortunate that the clock ran out ending the matter until the veto session in the fall. Regardless the bill is not dead and now carries the weight of ISRA tacit approval.

I understand, I didn't realize that happened. Thanks for the clarity. It's not good news as you said.

I don't have an answer, other than to vote with our feet. We're running out of areas to go to, though. The infection is spreading.

Attached is a screen shot of the witness slips for HB562. There were 6 “no position” slips entered and three of them were from the ISRA officials. This is the area of disagreement. As was stated above, it allowed our enemies to claim the ISRA did not object to the amendment … which Illinois Carry came out in opposition to.

post-51-0-69515600-1622763713_thumb.png

The details are uncertain, but there is the appearance that the ISRA had some backroom discussions about the content of the "Modernization" bill(s), possibly getting some favorable conditions for gun owners in exchange for publicly not opposing the overall bill. Nothing has been stated explicitly.

BTW, I got paper mail today urging me to help fight "Fix the FOID."

Don't mistake our propensity for diplomacy as uncertainty about what transpired.

Attached is a screen shot of the witness slips for HB562. There were 6 “no position” slips entered and three of them were from the ISRA officials. This is the area of disagreement. As was stated above, it allowed our enemies to claim the ISRA did not object to the amendment … which Illinois Carry came out in opposition to.

Optics are very important, and the optics here obviously gave our opponents in the ILGA a chance to spin things to their advantage during the debate on it

Optics are very important, and the optics here obviously gave our opponents in the ILGA a chance to spin things to their advantage during the debate on it

Referring to it as optics, though, implies an unintended consequence of something done in error.Slipping in as neutral sent a very intentional signal.

The signal that I see is tacit approval.

IF the ISRA has/had inside information, that a Fix the FOID law is/was inevitable (face it folks, in a normal majority session, there are enough Dems to push it, and a rubber stamp Gov), and thus they negotiated a least of all evils bill, then come out and say it. That is, if that is the case. As it stands right now,, it comes across as one of: 1. Being coeerced somehow, 2. Being bought, or 3. using it, to fund raise.

You may be surprised (or not) to hear the Board has little say with what the organization stands behind, until it's a done deal. In my opinion, as a former board member there is too much of a disconnect, and that is part of the reason I stepped down years ago. That being said, there are several good reasons to be a member and to support the cause but I can also understand the bad taste it leaves with the membership.

I still support the organization as a whole, but to be put in a position as a board member when internal communication is non-existent is a useless waste of my own time and resources.

The time has come for ISRA to inform its membership about what transpired. Completely and fully without sidestepping anything. Without an explanation it appears that the organization is covering up what happened. As always, the cover up is considered worse than the event itself. If left unaddressed ISRA stands to loose support. Our collective problem is, that without an honest and strong ISRA, we are left with little defense in Springfield. We need the ISRA to continue the fight against the unscrupulous fascist liberals of the new left. Perhaps a new generation of leadership is needed at the ISRA to achieve success without compromise.

I have absolutely no insight into what happened here; but a little insight into what sometimes happens with legislative deals.

My guess is that the democrats had the votes to pass a Fix the FOID; but it would have put some moderate democrats in hot water with enough of their constituents they weren't really comfortable doing it so a deal was probably reached where ISRA would not take a position on some legislation to prevent other legislation from moving forward.

I have absolutely no insight into what happened here; but a little insight into what sometimes happens with legislative deals.

My guess is that the democrats had the votes to pass a Fix the FOID; but it would have put some moderate democrats in hot water with enough of their constituents they weren't really comfortable doing it so a deal was probably reached where ISRA would not take a position on some legislation to prevent other legislation from moving forward.

I have no doubts about your insight or experience. It is logical, but still disagreeable to me. The ISRA needs to clarify what happened and not dodge it.

I dont think I read it in any of the bills, I think I seen it in an article I read somewhere, or maybe it was in a dream... who knows anymore. It said that in one of the bills they wanted to make fingerprints optional, and as incentive, with fingerprints you would never expire. Im not much for giving an inch, but if that as optional thats not giving anything, I could go along with something like that.

Hi everyone, I've been inactive on the forum for a while. I just wanted to say John Boch has an article on TTAG concerning this. He inquired with Pearson and got a partial response, which read like typical Pearson lingo.Pearson can be quite the creative wordsmith when it suits him. And then, when it doesn't, he sounds like a grumpster. I think I'm still a member of ISRA, but I'm not 100% sure.

Due to a number of surgeries, (five in a year) and ongoing hip issues, I've been (sadly) on the sidelines. All those years of hockey and ultra cardio have left me in bad shape. I'll be more active on slips and calls going forward. Thanks to all of you for all you've been doing. I'm grateful to everyone who's been active.

Enjoy the weekend folks.

John

Ps..hi Mauser, Molly, and Craig. Donation to IC coming this weekend.

Archived