HB1092 Legislative Update & Alert

mauserme

HB1092 Update

In our 4/21/2021 Urgent Call to Action we sounded the alarm on HB1092, a bill designed to weaponize Firearm Restraining Orders against Illinois gun owners. By broadening the list of those who can petition the courts for this order, the door is open to retaliation in the name of safety.

The existing firearm restraining law is the product of hard negotiation by stakeholders from all sides of the issue. After long weeks of discussion, a bill considered model legislation was passed into law, a model that could be held up as an example to other states considering such legislation.

Demonstrating again that one can never turn their back on anti-gun forces, Representative Stoneback and Senator Gillespie are being encouraged by some of the original participants to turn the negotiation process on its head. This bill was passed out of the House earlier this month and, today, was assigned to the Senate Executive committee. Though not posted to a hearing yet, this committee is scheduled to meet tomorrow afternoon.

Join us in our continued opposition to House Amendment 1 on HB1092 by preparing to file witness slips at a moments notice.

###

You can't make compromises, agreements or "deals," with these people. Their word means less than a worm-ridden dog's imaginary promise not to scratch it's rear all over your floor. They have no morals or honor. They are ruthless and driven solely by their irrational, totalitarian goals. They despise our constitution. They despise our country. They despise us. heck, they despise themselves, which is probably why they are projecting their own sins onto others.

Check the Chicago Sun Times Editorial - Thursday is their day to push HB1092 they call it: the Block Illegal Ownership bill, BIO bill.

They didn't "drop it" until just short of 5 pm today.

By CST Editorial Board

May 25, 2021, 4:55pm CDT

<snip>

Illinois can’t stop all the crime guns that flow into the state, but it can keep some firearms out of the hands of the criminals who take so many lives and hurt so many. Legislation known as the Block Illegal Ownership bill would close some of the loopholes. In 2020, it passed in the Illinois House, but the Senate failed to act on it during the pandemic.

Gun safety advocates are planning a press conference and a digital day of action on Thursday with gun violence survivors to try to get the BIO bill across the finish line. If they fail, it could be another two years before the Legislature takes another serious look at the legislation. There’s always an election coming up or some other excuse not to act.

<snip>

The BIO bill has several components, but the two most critical are requiring mandatory fingerprints for people getting Firearms Owners Identification cards and universal background checks by a federally licensed gun dealer for person-to-person sales. Those measures can help stop criminals from getting easy access to guns.

<snip>

The subsequent ISRA notice about HB1092 says that it's looking like it will be coming out of the Illinois Senate Executive Committee shortly.

They said to call one's state senator, so I did: John Curran is ours.

The office lady was actually quite helpful and discussed how it would be best for all of us to be calling the members of the Executive Committee at this time. She correctly pointed out that a Republican legislator will have little to no impact on the bill's emergence or passage.

Quite refreshing honesty, I thought.

She duly noted our objection to the bill should it come up for a vote.

I have not thought Senator Curran to be much of a gun-rights advocate, but this particular call made me think I could be off by a few degrees on that. I also saw on his web page that he has a link to a "Concealed Carry Handbook", which seems to be a positive, too.

The subsequent ISRA notice about HB1092 says that it's looking like it will be coming out of the Illinois Senate Executive Committee shortly.

They said to call one's state senator, so I did: John Curran is ours.

The office lady was actually quite helpful and discussed how it would be best for all of us to be calling the members of the Executive Committee at this time. She correctly pointed out that a Republican legislator will have little to no impact on the bill's emergence or passage.

Quite refreshing honesty, I thought.

She duly noted our objection to the bill should it come up for a vote.

I have not thought Senator Curran to be much of a gun-rights advocate, but this particular call made me think I could be off by a few degrees on that. I also saw on his web page that he has a link to a "Concealed Carry Handbook", which seems to be a positive, too.

He voted for the dealer gun licensing scheme last year and he has taken money from the rabid anti-gun groups.

He is my senator too but he is not a friend of firearms owners.

he took $37k from an anti-gun pac and it shows in his voting record

https://illinoiscarry.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=71287

Archived