Carrying While Black

mauserme

Carrying While Black: Crusader’s Three-Part Series On Gun Ownership In The Black Community

Meet America’s Newest Gun Owners: Black Women

May 22, 2021

When Javondlynn Dunagan started her business JMD Defense LLC a few years ago, she would never have imagined that the events of 2020 would be the boost that brought her more customers. ...

Dunagan, who is a licensed Illinois Concealed Carry Instructor, said her business increased 200 percent last year and the waiting time to get into her classes at one point was eight weeks.

Dunagan and others said they have seen such a shift in the Black community’s relationship with firearms over the past year, given the climate in the country. Dunagan said especially in Chicago, which has historically made firearm ownership difficult, Black citizens have had to deal with the deluge of bad press about firearms. This bad press is accompanied by politicians and community leaders like Father Michael Pfleger, who regularly host gun turn-in events.

“I've seen an exponential increase in my business as of June 1, 2020; the day after all of the looting took place in Chicago because of the George Floyd murder,” Dunagan said. “Black folks vilified guns. The pastors and politicians helped push a false narrative with their incorrect information, when the truth is the good people need to have guns. When the pandemic hit, we were buying toilet tissue while the white people were buying guns and bullets. But when the looters hit Chicago, I went from having 10 to 14 people in a class, to being booked up two months in advance.”

One of those new shooters is Melva Ansah. She had been thinking of purchasing a gun for several years. She received her FOID card back in 2017 but never did anything with it. Being a single woman and homeowner on the South Side, she said the looting that took place last year scared her into action.

“I didn’t want to purchase without knowing what I was doing,” said Ansah, who took Dunagan’s ‘Intro To Firearms course.’ “Coming to the range with Ladies of Steel… I learned so much. Understanding that you must protect yourself, your family or even your block, was such an eye-opening experience for me....

Ansah said by being in the group she learned that other women were learning about guns for the same reasons she was. But she also questioned the motives of Mayor Lori Lightfoot and the City Council for the city’s anti-gun policies.

“It’s concerning that the city of Chicago still won’t allow a gun range within city limits,” Ansah said. “It discourages proper firearm usage. I don’t understand what their goal is. With the violence that plagues the city of Chicago, I don’t understand what would be wrong with responsible people learning how to use a firearm to protect their neighborhood and family. We are clearly outnumbered. I don’t understand how city leaders can’t understand this, especially when they see the police are overwhelmed.”

One issue rarely discussed or recognized is that having a concealed carry license is actually a good thing when dealing with law enforcement officers. Regardless of your color, ethnicity, etc. when they see you have a CCL they know you have already passed an investigation that indicates you are, basically, a good guy. Bad guys, convicted felons, sexual predators, etc. cannot get an Illinois CCL.

One issue rarely discussed or recognized is that having a concealed carry license is actually a good thing when dealing with law enforcement officers. Regardless of your color, ethnicity, etc. when they see you have a CCL they know you have already passed an investigation that indicates you are, basically, a good guy. Bad guys, convicted felons, sexual predators, etc. cannot get an Illinois CCL.

Yes but that doesn't help the people that put GFZ signs up.

Archived