CCL app denied for one DUI

I know a guy who got a denial letter due to a 2017 DUI... which goes to show how JUST ONE DUI within 5 years preceding the date of the application, will get most people denied due to the fact that in the vast majority of DUI cases, the offender will go through some sort of court-ordered treatment. I've never seen one that didn't. Some people get so caught up in the whole "not more than one DUI" part, that they forget about the court ordered treatment for the one they got.

Scenario 1 - no permission slip, get DUI, apply for permission slip and get denied

Scenario 2 - Already passed tests and currently hold permission slip but get DUI and still get to keep carry permit.

Is that currently how it works? Seems backwards as to imply already having a carry permit gave extra permissions. Illinois wouldn't do such a thing.

I believe if someone is issued court ordered treatment, their CCL is revoked/suspended?

No. As much as I hate to admit it, I got a DUI 2.5 years ago. Stupid mistake, I know.. but my CCL was not affected. Upon reading the statute, it doesn't seem court ordered DUI re-education would apply to the CCL. "(5) has not been in residential or court-ordered

treatment for alcoholism, alcohol detoxification, or drug treatment within the 5 years immediately preceding the date of the license application;"

I believe if someone is issued court ordered treatment, their CCL is revoked/suspended?

No. As much as I hate to admit it, I got a DUI 2.5 years ago. Stupid mistake, I know.. but my CCL was not affected. Upon reading the statute, it doesn't seem court ordered DUI re-education would apply to the CCL. "(5) has not been in residential or court-ordered

treatment for alcoholism, alcohol detoxification, or drug treatment within the 5 years immediately preceding the date of the license application;"

Are renewals treated the same as new applications with regard to background checks and potential failures? Have you applied for a renewal since the DUI?

Are renewals treated the same as new applications with regard to background checks and potential failures? Have you applied for a renewal since the DUI?

I believe they are handled in the same way. No I have not. Mine doesn't expire until 2022

Renewals are subject to the same - you can get your renewal denied if something occurred since you were granted the license.

• 2 weeks later...

I know a guy who got a denial letter due to a 2017 DUI... which goes to show how JUST ONE DUI within 5 years preceding the date of the application, will get most people denied due to the fact that in the vast majority of DUI cases, the offender will go through some sort of court-ordered treatment. I've never seen one that didn't. Some people get so caught up in the whole "not more than one DUI" part, that they forget about the court ordered treatment for the one they got.

I just saw this, sorry for not responding earlier. I fought ISP on this and the standard DUI classes and counseling are NOT court ordered treatment. If you have a 1st or 2nd time DUI, you are 99% likely to have only needed to do the standard DUI counseling / classes, and you should never be denied or revoked. If you have a 3rd DUI or aggravating circumstances, you may have done in-patient or outpatient treatment as ordered by the court (a good DUI attorney would know that better).

Archived