New twist on “No Guns” posting

vito

Police 1

... The gun dog is trained to focus on odor that relates exclusively to the oils, powder and residue commonly associated with a discharedsic firearm and not human odor.

The conjunctions in the sentence probably need a little help, but I believe they mean dogs can detect powder and residue from discharged firearms, as well as oils, even from undischarged firearms. Gun oils are all based either on vegetable oil or on mineral oil. I doubt the dogs are trained to detect every manufacturer's additives.

I do have to wonder, however, if the dogs "alert" on their handlers, who are probably also armed. Meanwhile, police dogs, in general, tend to perform poorly on objective tests in the field, because they learn to "alert" when their handlers want them to "alert," not when they actually detect the things they're purported to detect.

In any case, the legality of the "alert" is questionable, but they can still ask you to leave the mall.

Here's a good one for entertainment.

Wag Walking

Dogs that have been trained to detect firearms are trained to smell a few different odors that are related to firearms. For instance, they are trained to sniff out guns that have not been used or touched for a number of months. Specifically, they are trained to locate firearms such as assault rifles and handguns.

Dogs must be smart. They can tell the difference between different kinds of guns just from smell. Lots of humans can't do that even by looking.