New twist on “No Guns” posting

vito

Police 1

... The gun dog is trained to focus on odor that relates exclusively to the oils, powder and residue commonly associated with a discharedsic firearm and not human odor.

The conjunctions in the sentence probably need a little help, but I believe they mean dogs can detect powder and residue from discharged firearms, as well as oils, even from undischarged firearms. Gun oils are all based either on vegetable oil or on mineral oil. I doubt the dogs are trained to detect every manufacturer's additives.

I do have to wonder, however, if the dogs "alert" on their handlers, who are probably also armed. Meanwhile, police dogs, in general, tend to perform poorly on objective tests in the field, because they learn to "alert" when their handlers want them to "alert," not when they actually detect the things they're purported to detect.

In any case, the legality of the "alert" is questionable, but they can still ask you to leave the mall.

Here's a good one for entertainment.

Wag Walking

Dogs that have been trained to detect firearms are trained to smell a few different odors that are related to firearms. For instance, they are trained to sniff out guns that have not been used or touched for a number of months. Specifically, they are trained to locate firearms such as assault rifles and handguns.

Dogs must be smart. They can tell the difference between different kinds of guns just from smell. Lots of humans can't do that even by looking.

• 9 months later...

We now have an example within Illinois state lines (Chicago, of course).

"Gun-sniffing dog nabs Neiman Marcus thief who was armed with loaded 9-millimeter pistol and carrying $1,000 of stolen items"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10692099/Neiman-Marcus-Chicago-Magnificent-Mile-uses-gun-sniffing-dog-make-arrest.html

Can't find the story anywhere else (thank you, Daily Mail). I wanted to find out more details about his status for carry, I don't like making assumptions. He was arrested previously for the same offense in September and has been released with electronic monitoring. Yeah, Chicago is serious about solving its homicide/illegal gun problem. 🙄

Ridiculous that you need to travel to a foreign country to find news related to Chicago crime.  Hog swinging boss mayor is good at keeping her minions quiet.

I'm also not convinced that dog was hitting on the perp from a gun he had on him.  Me thinks the handler was just good at communicating with the K9.

On 4/6/2022 at 12:32 PM, oneshot said:

Can't find the story anywhere else (thank you, Daily Mail). I wanted to find out more details about his status for carry, I don't like making assumptions. He was arrested previously for the same offense in September and has been released with electronic monitoring. Yeah, Chicago is serious about solving its homicide/illegal gun problem. 🙄

Local sources... CWB published 16 hours before Daily Mail. Daily Mail is a news aggregator. They picked this story up from CWB Chicago... it is noted in the Daily News article.

CWB Chicago

I’ve looked real hard for a sign on the entrance doors. Can’t see or find one. If they aren’t posted why have the dog? And if the dog does find someone with a gun (CCL Holder) and they’re not posted it’s just a ask to leave correct?

maybe some savvy google street view geek can get us a better look, but I can’t see one.

note: not the medical center next door, but it’s not posted either as I see!  

• 2 weeks later...

Archived