Moved to NH - forcing the issue on training and “substantially similar?”

HeavyDuty

I’m now a NH resident with a NH DL and carry license. License issuance took 18 hours, only because the person who processes them at my local PD was already gone for the day. NH is constitutional carry but issues a license on request for reciprocity purposes.

IL requires your home state to have substantially similar requirements to be eligible for an IL nonres. But, when I was in IL I satisfied the training requirement, and if you have a IL FCCL I suspect they all get run through the system every night, not just resident licenses.

This feels like the basis for a legal challenge. What do y’all think?

I’m now a NH resident with a NH DL and carry license. License issuance took 18 hours, only because the person who processes them at my local PD was already gone for the day. NH is constitutional carry but issues a license on request for reciprocity purposes.

IL requires your home state to have substantially similar requirements to be eligible for an IL nonres. But, when I was in IL I satisfied the training requirement, and if you have a IL FCCL I suspect they all get run through the system every night, not just resident licenses.

i agree with your premise.

Feel free to find a lawyer and use your own money to finance the case. As we all know, there is a great, often conflicting, difference in gun laws among the states.

If it were a simple matter, several of the gun rights organizations would have already successfully do so.

Each state has it own sovereignty. In court that is supposed to be balanced with individual rights.

There is more to winning a case then just repeating "shall not be infringed".

I think that over the years there have even been bills introduced in Congress to unify recognition of the right to carry across the country.

They have gone nowhere.

Good luck. i certainly do not have the legal expertise to present a definitive argument that will stand up in the Supreme Court.

Since you are no longer an IL resident, you cannot keep your IL CCL or FOID. And since NH is not considered "substantially similar", you cannot get a IL non-resident CCL. It has nothing to do with your passing the IL training requirements. It has to do with mental health reporting, and other reporting that your new state may or may not do. Once you are out of IL, the state can no longer monitor you, unless your state reports the same as IL.

The Republic of Illinois does not consider your trading nor the previous CCL from in borders to be valid. As such thos items have no standing in this Republic.

Once the NH drivers license was issues it was like you never had a CCL in Illinois and all records have been scrubbed.

IMHO don’t waste the time, money, stress worrying about anything involving The people’s Republic of Illinois.

Sending a PM to you.

Good luck HD!

Since Illinois requires Illinois Training and does not recognize credentials from any other state, substantially similar or not, substantially similar should not be part of the equation for obtaining an Illinois CCL I think your IL CCL should have been converted to a non-resident license, after paying the remainder of the non resident license fees, prorated of course... and renewable.

Good luck HD!

Since Illinois requires Illinois Training and does not recognize credentials from any other state, substantially similar or not, substantially similar should not be part of the equation for obtaining an Illinois CCL I think your IL CCL should have been converted to a non-resident license, after paying the remainder of the non resident license fees, prorated of course... and renewable.

Nice to see a reply that isn’t defeatist!

That’s my thinking, too.

Archived