Sleepy Joe expected to take executive action on guns April 8

Jeffrey

I don't know about you guys, but personably I don't know too may people who CC a pistol with a brace on it... Almost as if it has nothing to do with being concealable... Just a thought.

I had touched on the concealable issue that in a previous post here, but just the same their claimed reason to ban this accessory because it makes the firearm more accurate and more stable sure runs contrary to public safety, OMO.

As far as braces, I get emails about them from places I’ve bought hand gun ammo before, but the thing is for me personally, for the prices of them, I could buy a rifle. So for someone like me who would get my ccw only for personal defense, a pistol brace makes no sense.

Yes, you could by a rifle but the appeal of braces is that you can get a pseudo short barrel rifle without it being an NFA firearm and the hassle that comes with NFA firearms, and although I agree it's not all that practial to carry, a braced pistol's short overall length but rifle like attributes make it an arguably better choice for home protection vs a full barreled rifle in many cases.

There are those in unincorporated and non-home rule Cook who purchased AR pistols simply to comply with Cook's unconstitutional ordinance, only to now be bitten by the two-faced Democrat hydra for obeying its tyrannical dictates by purchasing the "legal" option. You can't win by compromising with these loons, or even by giving in and obeying them. They will just make a felon out of you tomorrow. They won't be satisfied until all of us have turned in everything including 50 year old revolvers, and only they and their criminal base possess firearms.

NFA, I should probably know this, but enlighten me. I am still learning.

I'm assuming you mean this? If it's any rifle or shotgun with a barrel less than 18 inches then it's supposed to be registered?

https://www.atf.gov/rules-and-regulations/national-firearms-act

So for example, if I wanted a 9mm carbine, which is what I've been thinking would be nice since my pistol takes 9mm, so can purchase one ammunition type, then this would be ok and avoid pitfalls?

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/895789362

I know some of them have 16.5 inch barrels. Was looking at that or ones like the keltech.

NFA, I should probably know this, but enlighten me. I am still learning.

I'm assuming you mean this? If it's any rifle or shotgun with a barrel less than 18 inches then it's supposed to be registered?

I know some of them have 16.5 inch barrels. Was looking at that or ones like the keltech.

Which firearms are regulated under the NFA?

The following weapons are regulated under the National Firearms Act (NFA):

1. A shotgun having a barrel or barrels of less than 18 inches in length;
  2. A weapon made from a shotgun if such weapon as modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches or a barrel or barrels of less than 18 inches in length;
  3. A rifle having a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length;
  4. A weapon made from a rifle if such weapon as modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches or a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length;
  5. Any other weapon, as defined in subsection (e);
  6. A machinegun;
  7. Any silencer (as defined in section 921 of title 18, United States Code); and
  8. A destructive device.

[26 U.S.C. 5845; 27 CFR 479.1

Ok, so if I find something like this for example, I shouldn't run afoul of anything?

https://palmettostatearmory.com/hi-point-995ts-9mm-carbine-black-995ts.html?avad=211021_b21137cb5&utm_source=Avantlink&utm_medium=Referral&utm_campaign=cl

I know there are other options, but that looks nice because I could use my existing stuff, but it looks like you can add different sights and attachments to those also.

Ok, so if I find something like this for example, I shouldn't run afoul of anything?

https://palmettostatearmory.com/hi-point-995ts-9mm-carbine-black-995ts.html?avad=211021_b21137cb5&utm_source=Avantlink&utm_medium=Referral&utm_campaign=cl

I know there are other options, but that looks nice because I could use my existing stuff, but it looks like you can add different sights and attachments to those also.

Looks like you are fine with that. Pretty good price too. Hi Point gets talked down but not sure if that is still the case for them.

Looks like you are fine with that. Pretty good price too. Hi Point gets talked down but not sure if that is still the case for them.

Don't knock it til you've tried it. Years ago ~2004 I bought the .380 pistol. For $70 brand new I was willing to take my chances. To this day I have yet to take it apart or clean it or grease it one bit. I've put steel through it regularly ever since. I could count on one hand the number of failures. Yes we all want that number to be zero naturally but being honest, there is no such thing.

I thought I read somewhere their pistols may not be legal in illinois? Something about the metal's melting point perhaps? As long as things work. I'm not opposed to them. Honestly if you were using a gun in self defense, I'd rather they take cheap ones than a nice expensive one. Ideally I would hope to not have to use any guns at all for defense though. But they sure are fun to go to the range and go plinking paper targets.

Here we go, one place that talks about their pistols and legality.

https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/products2.cfm/ID/23539

I thought I read somewhere their pistols may not be legal in illinois? Something about the metal's melting point perhaps? As long as things work. I'm not opposed to them. Honestly if you were using a gun in self defense, I'd rather they take cheap ones than a nice expensive one. Ideally I would hope to not have to use any guns at all for defense though. But they sure are fun to go to the range and go plinking paper targets.

The HP380 definitely wouldn't be the first choice in a SD situation. If that was the only option still better than nothing. At least if it were to jam up you could always throw it at the perp. It's a brick.

They used to fall under the melting point law and were on the list that could not be sold in IL. They changed to a different material and now can be legally sold.

I had a C9 the 9mm version years ago.... ran flawlessly regardless of what I put through it. The jams are typically caused by the feed lips on the magazines, which are simple enough to tweak.

I still have the 9mm carbine somewhere in a safe... fun gun for plinking...... definitely extremely heavy though.... without a bipod it tires me out pretty quick

...(h) While holding any license as a dealer, importer, manufacturer or pawnbroker under the federal Gun Control Act of 1968, manufactures, sells or delivers to any unlicensed person a handgun having a barrel, slide, frame or receiver which is a die casting of zinc alloy or any other nonhomogeneous metal which will melt or deform at a temperature of less than 800 degrees Fahrenheit. For purposes of this paragraph, (1) "firearm" is defined as in the Firearm Owners Identification Card Act; and (2) "handgun" is defined as a firearm designed to be held and fired by the use of a single hand, and includes a combination of parts from which such a firearm can be assembled...

Just remember - this is only Biden's first step. We have absolutely no clue what this one party government will try to steamroll through! So far, they have not worked with Republicans AT ALL!! The Dems have been jamming through all kinds of radical Left and progressive wish list stuff and saying to heck with what the Republicans think!! Don't think for one second that this is over!

They used to fall under the melting point law and were on the list that could not be sold in IL. They changed to a different material and now can be legally sold.

I had a C9 the 9mm version years ago.... ran flawlessly regardless of what I put through it. The jams are typically caused by the feed lips on the magazines, which are simple enough to tweak.

I still have the 9mm carbine somewhere in a safe... fun gun for plinking...... definitely extremely heavy though.... without a bipod it tires me out pretty quick

Yep, I have a 40 and I can tell all my feeding problems are the magazine. Surprised no one has taken up making a reasonable quality 3rd party mag

Yeah I agree about not knowing what they intend to do. Hopefully they if they over reach too fast they will lose Congress. It almost seems like they know they’ll likely lose house and or the senate on the next go around and so are going to push hard for things while they have control. Hopefully Joe Manchin holds with republicans. I know from what I’ve heard he is about as conservative as you can be for a democrat. But on the other hand I’m sure people are working to influence him.

Yeah I agree about not knowing what they intend to do. Hopefully they if they over reach too fast they will lose Congress. It almost seems like they know they’ll likely lose house and or the senate on the next go around and so are going to push hard for things while they have control. Hopefully Joe Manchin holds with republicans. I know from what I’ve heard he is about as conservative as you can be for a democrat. But on the other hand I’m sure people are working to influence him.

True.... he is definitely as conservative as a liberal can be

Which means on a scale of 1-100 with 1 being ultra liberal and 100 being conservative........ hes about a 2

I can't follow all news reports but know some of you do. Has there ever been a documented case of a 'ghost' gun being used in a crime?

No idea, but every week in Chicago alone they catch people with guns with the serial number ground off. So I have no idea what going after "ghost guns" will accomplish since a few seconds with a dremel tool turns any gun into an untraceable "ghost gun".

IIRC, even if the numbers are no longer visible, the deformation of the underlying metal shows up under certain tests. I don't know if they can determine the complete number but they can definitely narrow the field.

Wasn't there a German pistol (a Luger?) that had a wooden scabbard where the gun was holstered/stored? It could then be attached to the grip and shouldered like a rifle. Would this be classed as an SBR, despite the fact it is a pistol? Or would the holster/stock be a "brace"? The pictures I have seen in the "stocked mode" shows the shooter using their left hand bracing the pistol under the barrel in front of the trigger.

I don't know about you guys, but personably I don't know too may people who CC a pistol with a brace on it... Almost as if it has nothing to do with being concealable... Just a thought.

I had touched on the concealable issue that in a previous post here, but just the same their claimed reason to ban this accessory because it makes the firearm more accurate and more stable sure runs contrary to public safety, OMO.

They seem to be focused on "accuracy" "lethality" "concealability" but are ignoring some of the original intent of allowing those with medical and handicap issues of better able to use the pistol with a brace. Will they distinguish that difference?

Wasn't there a German pistol (a Luger?) that had a wooden scabbard where the gun was holstered/stored? It could then be attached to the grip and shouldered like a rifle. Would this be classed as an SBR, despite the fact it is a pistol? Or would the holster/stock be a "brace"? The pictures I have seen in the "stocked mode" shows the shooter using their left hand bracing the pistol under the barrel in front of the trigger.

Im a little sketchy on the legal details, the High Power was originally configured as you described, with 1000 meter tangent sights (later changed to 500m)! I believe that if you had one as originally configured with the original scabbard/stock, it is legal as a C&R pistol. Replacing the stock with a replacement reproduction stock was somehow not legal. I think FN produced some commemorative models in the 70s.

Under C&R rules, I think they would still be legal. Its unlikely one would be used in some kind of mass shooting, given the age, cost and rarity. They were also made in this configuration by Inglis of Canada during WWll. An Inglis reproduction stock seem to be going for $145, NFA rules apply at Sarco.

I do not have one... probably never will though it would be a fun set for the collection.

These were popular with the Germans after they captured Belgium.

IIRC, even if the numbers are no longer visible, the deformation of the underlying metal shows up under certain tests. I don't know if they can determine the complete number but they can definitely narrow the field.

That works for many solid metal guns, but for many of the popular poly guns like Glocks they entire area of the metal slug with the serial imprint can be removed, note I'm not talking about removing the entire metal plate with the wings as that is designed to not be removable at least easily, simply saying you could theoretically grind away the entire metal section that is imprinted.

But, truth be told a vast majority of criminals don't give two whoops about the serial as the guns are almost always stolen and passed through a street level back alley dealer already and thus the serial won't lead back to them anyway even if they can read it clear as day.

That works for many solid metal guns, but for many of the popular poly guns like Glocks they entire area of the metal slug with the serial imprint can be removed, note I'm not talking about removing the entire metal plate with the wings as that is designed to not be removable at least easily, simply saying you could theoretically grind away the entire metal section that is imprinted.

But, truth be told a vast majority of criminals don't give two whoops about the serial as the guns are almost always stolen and passed through a street level back alley dealer already and thus the serial won't lead back to them anyway even if they can read it clear as day.

Good point.

• 2 weeks later...

An interesting article. It is dated Oct. 2020 but Plugs is referred to as "Mr. Vice-President". Either the moderator mis-spoke or the article is over 5 years old.

And the tactics Biden mentioned have to come from such things as the Keystone Kops, Road Runner and Wiley Coyote, or the Three Stooges.

Archived