Carrying on private property

MattAlan

I have a valid Tennessee carry permit. From what I understand, I am able to have my handgun in my vehicle (glovebox/center console) when in southern IL. I do not qualify for the IL Non-Resident permit (I would get it if I did) as it's not open to TN residents.

However, my question is -- and I cannot seem to find an answer to this -- what about when on private property with the property owner's consent?

For example: a friend's house or farm land. Or at a private family owned business where I'm employed and the owner has given permission?

Is anyone aware of any exceptions to the law that would allow this? Has anyone ever run into something similar?

Only talking about concealed carry and in southern IL.

Thank you both for the responses. Good to know that private property should be ok.

I'm pretty sure Tennessee is about to get rid of the permitting process altogether, and no, Illinois won't recognize that either.

If a private property owner says it is ok for you to carry on their land, then it is ok.

As for TN eliminating permits from what I understand, they are moving towards constitutional carry but will still offer carry permits that will allow more freedom and will be honored by other states. Not an expert by any means but thats what I understand from the discussion weve heard around here.

Or at a private family owned business where I'm employed and the owner has given permission?

Not sure about this and maybe some missed this.

If it’s a business and you are employed in Illinois but a Tennessee resident, hummmm.

Maybe someone else can shine a better light. I’d be worried about being a non resident and carrying concealed outside the car while working in Illinois. Private property yes, but at a business as a non resident I wouldn’t. But I’m not in a position to be that costly test case!

Or at a private family owned business where I'm employed and the owner has given permission?

If its a business and you are employed in Illinois but a Tennessee resident, hummmm.

Maybe someone else can shine a better light. Id be worried about being a non resident and carrying concealed outside the car while working in Illinois. Private property yes, but at a business as a non resident I wouldnt. But Im not in a position to be that costly test case!

Im sure it probably doesnt make a difference but Im not really employed in IL. I live and work in TN, but about one day every couple of months travel to a location in southern IL.

I generally have been leaving my gun in the car when there but would prefer not to and just trying to see if theres any way I can legally be at a friends house (just visiting) or at the business.

Honestly, I am fine not being able to carry anywhere else I just make it a point to not stop to eat or get gas while Im in IL. Which yes is bad for small businesses in IL but what can I do? I would rather do that then end up getting a charge or needing it and not having it.

If its a business and you are employed in Illinois but a Tennessee resident, hummmm.

Maybe someone else can shine a better light. Id be worried about being a non resident and carrying concealed outside the car while working in Illinois. Private property yes, but at a business as a non resident I wouldnt. But Im not in a position to be that costly test case!

Im sure it probably doesnt make a difference but Im not really employed in IL. I live and work in TN, but about one day every couple of months travel to a location in southern IL.

I generally have been leaving my gun in the car when there but would prefer not to and just trying to see if theres any way I can legally be at a friends house (just visiting) or at the business.

Honestly, I am fine not being able to carry anywhere else I just make it a point to not stop to eat or get gas while Im in IL. Which yes is bad for small businesses in IL but what can I do? I would rather do that then end up getting a charge or needing it and not having it.

Drive through joints with car service!

You're fine on private property with the property owners permission. See bold below:

720 ILCS 5/24-1.6 Aggravated unlawful use of a weapon.
(a) A person commits the offense of aggravated unlawful use of a weapon when he or she knowingly:
(1) Carries on or about his or her person or in any vehicle or concealed on or about his or her person except when on his or her land or in his or her abode, legal dwelling, or fixed place of business, or on the land or in the legal dwelling of another person as an invitee with that person's permission, any pistol, revolver, stun gun or taser or other firearm; or

Archived