Password compromised

Trevis

I've got the warning a while ago too. I changed the password, and things were fine for a while, but now it's doing it again.

So Mauser and crew, when you see harsh stuff posted under my account, trust that it was NOT me. Until the security issue is resolved, we cannot be held responsible for hackers posting over the top stuff from our acct. Tried to upload screen show that identifies IC directly.

Graciously submitted.

Screen shot of the email attached.

I received a similar email about several passwords I have saved in Chrome last week, mostly some pretty insecure passwords. My IC password wasn't included but that one is pretty complicated.

I took it to be Google scrubbing my saved passwords against a list they developed from the dark web. Do you use Chrome, and was the password they emailed you about saved in that browser?

I would first assume that the email alert was a phishing scam looking to obtain information. Before I would do anything, I would attempt to determine whether the alert notification was legitimate. I strongly suspect that it was not legitimate.

Yes, for sure it's worth changing passwords just in case, but do so only through the websites that you would normally log on to.

I would first assume that the email alert was a phishing scam looking to obtain information. Before I would do anything, I would attempt to determine whether the alert notification was legitimate. I strongly suspect that it was not legitimate.

That is legit. But I agree to never click links, and go directly to review the report. My alerts come in the way of popups from Chrome. It's done a pretty good job. I do use a pw mgr and each is unique to the site. Again, the unique password here was reported as compromised 3 months ago, and I posted it then. I changed the password, and it's again coming up as compromised again.

That said, because this isn't a transactional site, I'm not as worried about it, but still it's something to look into. IPS is not noted to be the most secure in the world. I had them managing my sites, with real time updates, and I still had problems from time to time. However, the hackers were more focused on the web store component, which I eventually was forced to move to Shopify, before finally selling them to VS and IB.

I think the biggest risk here are with members who use the same screen name, email, and password for multiple sites. That's flirting with disaster.

Screen shot of the email attached.

I received a similar email about several passwords I have saved in Chrome last week, mostly some pretty insecure passwords. My IC password wasn't included but that one is pretty complicated.

I took it to be Google scrubbing my saved passwords against a list they developed from the dark web. Do you use Chrome, and was the password they emailed you about saved in that browser?

I must have saved the password there, but have also used a different password manager since then, so it might even be an old password, but I figured it would be good to tell site admin in case there is something nefarious going on.

Alright guys and gals can you please explain to me in layman,s terms what is going on and what steps I need to take if any?should everyone change password?

Based on posts #1, #4 and #16, the OP was notified by Google that his password here(?) had been compromised.

It may have been an old one and not his present one.

It does not appear to effect this site in general and does not appear to affect the rest of us.

But as I noted above #6, it can be a good idea to periodically change a password.

The article discusses the subject. Make your own decision.

How Often Should You Change Your Password? - Best Ways To Protect Your Privacy This 2021 - Defending Digital

Archived