ISP Director: FOID Card Delays "Unacceptable"

mauserme

http://altondailynews.com/news/details.cfm?clientid=17&id=321133#.YFX1K0vsfIU

ISP Director: FOID Card Delays "Unacceptable"

WBGZ Radio 3/20/2021 |
By Greg Bishop - Illinois Radio Network

Illinois state lawmakers from both sides of the aisle say something has to be done about the backlog of Firearm Owner Identification cards. They differ on the solution.

Illinois State Police Director Brendan Kelly says the backlog of gun owner licenses is “absolutely unacceptable” and the department is doing what they can.

State police data shows new FOID applications are taking an average of nearly 120 days, when it’s only supposed to take weeks. The backlog has, at times, exceeded 100,000.

Thursday in Springfield, Kelly said the delays are “absolutely unacceptable.”

“And they can’t be tolerated,” Kelly said. “These are important legal issues. These are important public safety issues. And, we have to get to a system that is easy and simple and straightforward for the good guys and very hard for the bad guys to get a gun.”

State Rep. Dan Caulkins, R-Decatur, said the Democratic Majority doesn’t get it. It’s going to take the courts.

“We did this once on concealed carry and it didn’t go [Democrats’] way,” Caulkins said.

Illinois was the last state to have a prohibition on carrying firearms outside the home when it passed concealed carry in 2013. That was prompted by a Second Amendment challenge that went all the way to the U.S. Supreme Court.

“I hope that [Democrats] would see the handwriting on the wall, come around to the realization that this process isn’t working and we need to refine it, or we really need to get rid of the FOID card,” Caulkins said.

There are more than a dozen lawsuits against the state’s gun licensing scheme working through the courts.

It would almost seem that this backlog and huge timelines on getting a FOID and at time a CCL is what might be needed for what has been tried for years. Not so much the CCL but the FOID card has been a sticky thorn in everyone’s side for years.

With the current times and the lawsuits winding though the system the Director is right, something needs to be done and done now.

As they say, strike while the iron is hot.

Here’s to hoping that the Republicans will or can get up and into making this mess go away. As in cancel the FOID!

The more they hand out reports about this issue the more we can realize that they have their hands full and are actually looking for some help/relief.

Here’s to keeping our fingers crossed........

Had friends that moved out of Illinois to Wisconsin at the start of the year tell me that they applied for their Wisconsin CCL and were both approved in less than 5 days. Whats worse Fee is $40 for 5 years and renewal after that is $22 for every 5 years.

One of them received their card in 7 days.

This state is absolutely ridiculous.

"And they can’t be tolerated,” Kelly said.

Yet he and everyone else involved have been 'tolerating' them this entire time, heck to be blunt the delays have been 'tollerated' for decades!

The only reason they care now is that there are so many cases in the courts and the delays have grown so long there is the very real possibility that a court is going to slap them (or the law) upside the head as a civil rights violation!

"And they can’t be tolerated,” Kelly said.

Yet he and everyone else involved have been 'tolerating' them this entire time, heck to be blunt the delays have been 'tollerated' for decades!

The only reason they care now is that there are so many cases in the courts and the delays have grown so long there is the very real possibility that a court is going to slap them (or the law) upside the head as a civil rights violation!

We can only pray!

The FOID process hasn’t worked since it’s inception 53 years ago. It has grown to be a long and continuing impediment to the exercise of a civil right. The fact that the state cannot meet it legal requirements and suspends elements of law as it sees fit is testimony that the law is useless and needs elimination. It’s time to get ride of the “permission slip” mentality that permeates government.

If memory serves, it had to do with the fact they open at 8:30 am. Call at like 8:27. I think I pretended not to have internet and not to know my application number. It seems like there was an option to get help but they may have removed it. I think it was option 3. The last I checked the recording was gone but it still worked. But as I recall by calling at 8:27 I could hang out in their system and at 8:30 hit the option to get a rep. I basically told the person I was just following up since their site said 30 days and I’d never owned a gun in Illinois before. By that night it went active.

Now that the ATF has recognized a Concealed Carry as a background check for firearm purchases ( in South Dakota) I have an idea. Lets do the same for Illinois and let the CCL license replace the Foid for instant background check and not require the 72 cooling off period Illinois require for gun purchases, for CCL holders. They may have one on their hip as they fill out the paper work so it it pointless. Now you have eliminated the FOID card for close to 400,000 folks and given them the ability to purchase and receive a firearm instantly, as it is in most other states. At the very least the ISP could do away with the NICS portion of the approval process. One card, one renewal, and streamlined approval process. Seem like a winner to me and much more efficient.

For Mr. Kelly to declare that it is "Unacceptable" would be laugh out loud funny if he wasn't in charge of the processing. What did he do, walk into the office after a 12 year vacation, hang his coat on the hook, pour some coffee and pick up the backlog off his desk with a look of utter astonishment?

That, as my son would say, is cringey.

For Mr. Kelly to declare that it is "Unacceptable" would be laugh out loud funny if he wasn't in charge of the processing. What did he do, walk into the office after a 12 year vacation, hang his coat on the hook, pour some coffee and pick up the backlog off his desk with a look of utter astonishment?

That, as my son would say, is cringey.

Probably looks at his lawn after never having mowed it for years an stands there yelling "UNACCEPTABLE!!" at a clump of weeds :blink:

How much worse would Chicago's homicide rate be without the FOID? :whistle:

I seem to recall Willis saying during a debate once that a FOID was required to commit murder in Illinois.

James Bond has to be a member of MI-6 to get a license to kill. Illinois residents just need a FOID....

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer. Nothing in this message constitutes legal advice. If you believe anything Rep. Willis asserts, you deserve whatever fate you get.

Archived