Current length of time for background check for gun purchases

patriot1776

My experience a few months ago was the check returned approval immediately. I think people who usually get immediate approval will continue to get immediate approval. People who typically have to wait will have to wait longer.

Immediate approval is machine-generated. The machines are just as fast now as ever. If the machines ask a human to review and decide, a wait can occur at either the state or federal level (or both).

My experience a few months ago was the check returned approval immediately. I think people who usually get immediate approval will continue to get immediate approval. People who typically have to wait will have to wait longer.Immediate approval is machine-generated. The machines are just as fast now as ever. If the machines ask a human to review and decide, a wait can occur at either the state or federal level (or both).

Not really. I’ve heard of people having instant approval before being delayed and vice versa.

My experience a few months ago was the check returned approval immediately. I think people who usually get immediate approval will continue to get immediate approval. People who typically have to wait will have to wait longer.

Immediate approval is machine-generated. The machines are just as fast now as ever. If the machines ask a human to review and decide, a wait can occur at either the state or federal level (or both).

I bought 2 in the past half year or so. No delay.

Picked up a shotgun 2 weeks ago. I had to convince them to try running the check since I was there. They ran it for a handgun first by accident and it came back immediately. They ran it again for a shotgun and warned it may take longer now due to their mistake but that came back instantly too. After waiting 6 months for my shotgun to come in it was nice to pick it up quickly.

Thanks for that info. It explains the discrepancy in wait times.

Years ago, after many past background checks sailing through at maybe a minute or two wait on a phone call, I was INSTANTLY refused during the background check.. My dealer at the time, a long time personal friend said, "WOW! You just got refused! And I mean INSTANTLY!!" He said refusals, in his experience, seldom happened so fast.

Since we were longtime friends, he called a friend downstate who looked into it. What happened was my renewed FOID card had been RETURNED AS UNDELIVERABLE by my local Post Office, because it didn't have my P.O. box included in my mailing address. Upon receiving my returned FOID card, the ISP red flagged my purchase.

A friend who works in the postal service (not in that office) said "Yes, that can happen. Personnel don't HAVE to deliver mail that doesn't have a P.O. box included in the address. "

I asked, "Then why does all the JUNK mail sail right on through!?"

She said, "Well, it's mainly because, junk mail is the postal service's bread and butter."

Incidentally, my wife and I had then renewed our FOID cards at the same exact time and at the same exact place. We both each filled out our own forms separately. She had included our P.O. box in the address portion. I had not. Her renewed FOID card was successfully delivered without any fuss. Or drama.

Bottom line, be careful how you fill out any and all forms. Your renewal FOID forms, too.

Picked up a shotgun 2 weeks ago. I had to convince them to try running the check since I was there. They ran it for a handgun first by accident and it came back immediately. They ran it again for a shotgun and warned it may take longer now due to their mistake but that came back instantly too. After waiting 6 months for my shotgun to come in it was nice to pick it up quickly.

That made no sense on the part where, "and warned it may take longer now due to their mistake but that came back instantly too." With few exceptions, instant Approvals are ALWAYS instant Approvals. I can run your name 3x's in a row and it will come back as an instant Approval. Obviously, there are exceptions to every rule.

That made no sense on the part where, "and warned it may take longer now due to their mistake but that came back instantly too." With few exceptions, instant Approvals are ALWAYS instant Approvals. I can run your name 3x's in a row and it will come back as an instant Approval. Obviously, there are exceptions to every rule.

Since you were approved for a handgun you shoulda just added it on. :)

Archived