Appealing CCL Denied/Revoked by ISP (this does not apply to denials by the CCL Board of Review)

Molly B.

https://isp.illinois.gov/TypesOfAppeals

If your Firearm Concealed Carry License was revoked, or suspended, or your CCL application was denied by the Department pursuant to Section 10 or Section 70 of the Firearm Concealed Carry Act (FCCA), you may request administrative review of this decision pursuant to Section 87 of the FCCA. The information required for administrative review is listed on the attached checklist. Please use this to ensure all paperwork required is provided. The appeal process will not begin until the Department receives all necessary documentation.

• The Department may request any reasonable documentation related to the determination for relief. Submission of the required documents does not guarantee the granting of an appeal or relief; however, it is required to begin the review process. Upon receipt of all of the documents requested, your application will be actioned. You will be notified once the decision has been made or if additional information is needed.
  • Relevant Checklist and Forms:
  • PLEASE NOTE: If your Firearm Concealed Carry License (CCL) Application was denied based upon a determination of the Concealed Carry Licensing Review Board (CCLRB), you are not permitted to obtain a CCL unless you receive relief from the courts, you will need to utilize the tab below:

How will I know why my CCL was denied or revoked?
When the Department denies an application or revokes a card/license, the person receives a letter/email with written notice regarding the denial or revocation.

May I submit an appeal electronically?
Yes, you may submit an appeal either through the mail or via email.

Illinois State Police

Office of Firearms Safety

Suite 600-S

801 South 7th Street

Springfield, Illinois 62703

If your CCL was denied due to Inadvertent 'YES' answer on application, submit this form -

CCL Application Inadvertent Yes Answer Affidavit

If your CCL application was denied, or your CCL revoked or suspended due to expired FOID, or suspension due to an Order of Protection, use the following checklist and submit this form:

CCL Appeal Requirements/Checklist

CCL Request for Administrative Review

What if the revocation/suspension of my FOID card caused the denial/revocation/suspension of my CCL?

There is a box on the Request for FOID Investigation, Relief, and Reinstatement of Firearms Rights that allows you to appeal both of these actions simultaneously. Please mark the appropriate box and consideration will be given to both.

If your Firearm Concealed Carry License was revoked or denied based upon a determination of the Concealed Carry Licensing Review Board (CCLRB), you cannot appeal to the Director for relief. Rather, you will need to utilize the Court Ordered Relief CCLRB Tab.

I have a question. Applied for CCL last June and was denied in November. The letter stated that it was because I was in Alcohol treatment within the last 5 years. That stemmed from a DUI charge that was ultimately dismissed and says so on the court disposition. The 5 years has passed for the DUI charge. I know it was a long shot but I filed an appeal (faxed the information) through the director, supplied copies of the dismissed disposition and respectfully requested reconsideration given the charges were dismissed. Theres no expunging a DUI charge in IL and my status still says denied even though I filed over a month ago. Am I completely wasting my time even hoping for a review? Should I just suck it up and wait til 2023 when the 5 year treatment window has expired? Any info or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Ok, that sheds some light on the situation. Yes, I had to do a certain number of hours based on an evaluation. It was a court ordered treatment. I thought they were just considered classes but after looking at the website of the company, they are listed as a treatment center. I moved before the case was done and wasnt getting any correspondence from the courts so I didnt finish them til May of 2018 for the 2015 case.

https://www.foundationscentertreatment.com/

• 4 weeks later...
I applied for a CCL on December 16, 2020 and submitted fingerprints. It was under review up until 3 weeks ago and is now under board review. I have never been arrested and don’t have a record so why would it go under board review? Two of my friends applied a few weeks earlier than I did and they have received their license. I have tried to talk with someone in the office but keep getting voicemail and the mailbox is full. I have not received any correspondence from the board.

Once under board review you are as a illy at their mercy.

You will now have to wait for the letters and the reason you were denied before making an appeal.

Check the portal weekly as the reason may be sent out and then you only have so many days.

Trying to call during this time is useless and stressful as they do not answer the phones.

Sorry and Welcome to the Forums but you have a long wait until this gets resolved as there can be various reasons!

I applied for a CCL on December 16, 2020 and submitted fingerprints. It was under review up until 3 weeks ago and is now under board review. I have never been arrested and don’t have a record so why would it go under board review? Two of my friends applied a few weeks earlier than I did and they have received their license. I have tried to talk with someone in the office but keep getting voicemail and the mailbox is full. I have not received any correspondence from the board.

If you are in Cook Co., it does not take an arrest to be placed under board review. If a person shows up in the police/legal system for almost any reason, Cook Co. sheriff's dept. will file an objection. .Sometimes it's a case of mistaken identity.

Not to mention, if you have the same name as someone else that has has a legitimate reason to be objected to, they might object for that as well. I had that exact situation happen as mine was a case of mistaken identity. Crook County sheriff (Tom Dart) likes to play games and objects to anything they can for any reason. Good luck.

• 3 months later...
Well, my status never showed under review that I saw but I did receive a letter from Springfield denying my appeal. They listed 430 ILCS 66/25(5), not being eligible til 5 years after court ordered alcohol treatment. Signed Office of Firearms Safety. Assuming this means I’m dead in the water and have to wait til my 5 years is up or would it be worth writing a letter to the director still?

Well, my status never showed under review that I saw but I did receive a letter from Springfield denying my appeal. They listed 430 ILCS 66/25(5), not being eligible til 5 years after court ordered alcohol treatment. Signed Office of Firearms Safety. Assuming this means I’m dead in the water and have to wait til my 5 years is up or would it be worth writing a letter to the director still?

Writing the director would not gain you anything unless you can challenge whether or not the sessions you attended were not considered treatment.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

First time posting on this forum, but Thank all in advance for your assistance. My FOID card was revoked back in 2018 for "supposed" admission to marijuana use by me. Immediately after they revoked my CCL because of the fact my FOID was no longer active (revoked). Not sure if this helps anyone here, but I simply Re-applied for my FOID last October and just received my new FOID and "active" status two weeks ago. I made several attempts to appeal over the last couple of years to no avail. The question that I have is, Will my CCL automatically "un-revoke" or become active since my FOID is now "active" and in good standing? As of now in the application portal my FOID reads "Active" and my CCL reads "Revoked". Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ALSO..... I took this snippet from the (430 ILCS 66/) Firearm Concealed Carry Act. The very last sentence (below), I believe applies to my situation. Does this say that my CCL should be active now that my FOID is active, and I have no more disqualifying factors?

(g) A licensee whose license is revoked, suspended, or denied shall, within 48 hours of receiving notice of the revocation, suspension, or denial, surrender his or her concealed carry license to the local law enforcement agency where the person resides. The local law enforcement agency shall provide the licensee a receipt and transmit the concealed carry license to the Department of State Police. If the licensee whose concealed carry license has been revoked, suspended, or denied fails to comply with the requirements of this subsection, the law enforcement agency where the person resides may petition the circuit court to issue a warrant to search for and seize the concealed carry license in the possession and under the custody or control of the licensee whose concealed carry license has been revoked, suspended, or denied. The observation of a concealed carry license in the possession of a person whose license has been revoked, suspended, or denied constitutes a sufficient basis for the arrest of that person for violation of this subsection. A violation of this subsection is a Class A misdemeanor.
(h) A license issued or renewed under this Act shall be revoked if, at any time, the licensee is found ineligible for a Firearm Owner's Identification Card, or the licensee no longer possesses a valid Firearm Owner's Identification Card. A licensee whose license is revoked under this subsection (h) shall surrender his or her concealed carry license as provided for in subsection (g) of this Section.
This subsection shall not apply to a person who has filed an application with the State Police for renewal of a Firearm Owner's Identification Card and who is not otherwise ineligible to obtain a Firearm Owner's Identification Card.

Thanks,

Edited by Gldn

The ISP should reinstate your CCL but it does not always happen. You may have to submit an appeal document to request reinstatement. If your status does not update to 'active' within 30 days you might want to submit the appeal document.

https://isp.illinois.gov/StaticFiles/docs/FirearmsSafety/Forms/New%20Forms/2-713%2012-20%20CCL%20Request%20for%20Administrative%20Review.pdf

• 3 months later...
On 1/5/2022 at 5:37 PM, John64 said:

Status went from DENIED to UNDER BOARD REVIEW????

Well, that means a law enforcement agency filed an objection.  The CCL Review Board seems to be overruling about 80%  of objections filed so you may be okay.  However, if they ask you for a response, be sure to read this post

https://illinoiscarry.com/forum/index.php?/topic/66414-responding-to-ccl-review-board-request-for-statement/

• 5 months later...

I too had my CCl revoked after having it for 6months for a dismissed DUI alcohol class. I did the appeal right away and never changed status. I did the appeal because it was completed longer than the 5 years required to pass or at least it was on the cusp.  This was literally 6mos after Illinois officially started concealed carry I was one of the first to get mine. My question is since now its been way more than enough time can I just reapply? I’m not sure what to do since it was revoked. If someone has info please let me know what I need to do. 

The thing of it all is I have tried to address the issue of the revocation and even submitted the appeal with documentation. It’s been 7 years and nothing. The original reason for taking it from me was because after they double checked it showed I had that alcohol treatment class for the dui and they quote unquote missed it. That class has been well past the 5 years statue. It’s now been 14 years . So not sure what to do 

Have you tried filing an appeal and submitted documents signed off by the court showing you completed all requirements?    Did you surrender your CCL?

Just trying to think of anything left undone.  If you have done all this, I would suggest filing a request for a hearing on the original appeal.

When a CCL application is denied, according to the statute, the applicant may request a hearing with the Director of the State Police.

(430 ILCS 66/87)
    Sec. 87. Administrative and judicial review.
    (a) Whenever an application for a concealed carry license is denied, whenever the Department fails to act on an application within 90 days of its receipt, or whenever a license is revoked or suspended as provided in this Act, the aggrieved party may appeal to the Director for a hearing upon the denial, revocation, suspension, or failure to act on the application, unless the denial was made by the Concealed Carry Licensing Review Board, in which case the aggrieved party may petition the circuit court in writing in the county of his or her residence for a hearing upon the denial.

You will need to send a letter to the director and request a hearing on the appeal you filed on _____________ and give the date or approximate date you submitted your appeal the first time. In the letter, give your full legal name, date of birth, CCL number.  Include a copy of all court records showing you completed all court orders and signed off on by the court.

Usually after reviewing the case and seeing all is in order, the director will forego the hearing and the CCL will be issued. If you are granted a hearing, which is usually a meeting with an administrative judge appointed by the ISP, you may be able to do that as a teleconference or may need to travel to Springfield. You can have an attorney with you, if you think you need one.

Send this all via a mail service that will provide you with a signed receipt of delivery to:

Director Brendan Kelly

Illinois State Police

801 S. 7th Street

Springfield, IL 62703

Please keep me posted on your progress.

• 2 weeks later...

I did surrender my CCL when it occurred because that was what the letter told me to do. So I brought it to the local police department as instructed and they didn’t even know what to do with it. The thing is I wasn’t denied it I was approved and had it for just over 6months. Then got the letter it was revoked after further research due to the dui class I was required to take. The issue I had more than anything was that it was completed over the 5 year window but according to the letter it was just inside the window. It’s crazy but again now it’s WAY past the 5 years without a shadow of doubt. According to a few lawyers it should be a simple fix by them but I never got a response . Maybe now I would since it’s less of a demand and maybe I should just call and see what they say. 

After reading the entire post more Thoroughly I am going to try this. As stated maybe they will forgo any hearing and re-issue the CCL based on evidence showing it was not only revoked inaccurately but even more so that now the class is 7 more years passed the 5 making it 12 years ago completed . Thank you so much for the help and I will get on this immediately. I’ll have to get the court records showing the disposition of the class and then get it sent. I will keep you posted 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...