CCL Review Board Reviewed ZERO Objections March 2020-August 2020

Molly B.

Just as I suspected, the Concealed Carry Review Board reviewed 0 (zero) objections to concealed carry applications from March 2020 through August 2020, once Gov. Pritzker issued his COVID-19 order. It may have been even longer, we do not have the FOIA response for Sept. - Dec. 2020 yet.

The law states:

(f) The Board shall issue a decision within 30 days of receipt of the objection from the Department. However, the Board need not issue a decision within 30 days if:
(1) the Board requests information from the applicant, including but not limited to electronic fingerprints to be submitted to the Department, in accordance with subsection (e) of this Section, in which case the Board shall make a decision within 30 days of receipt of the required information from the applicant;

(2) the applicant agrees, in writing, to allow the Board additional time to consider an objection; or

(3) the Board notifies the applicant and the Department that the Board needs an additional 30 days to issue a decision.

The law also states that board members may meet electronically:

© The Board shall meet at the call of the chairperson as often as necessary to consider objections to applications for a license under this Act. If necessary to ensure the participation of a commissioner, the Board shall allow a commissioner to participate in a Board meeting by electronic communication. Any commissioner participating electronically shall be deemed present for purposes of establishing a quorum and voting.

Reviewing ZERO objections from March – August and maybe longer than that is an outrage and, in our opinion, a total violation of applicants' Constitutional rights. For comparison, in the last 3 months of 2019, the CCLRB was reviewing an average of 200 or so objections per month.

3 through 8 2020 CCLRB GOVERNOR'S REPORT.pdf

Find those people who have NOT had their hearings to see if they would be interested in being part of a CLASS ACTION lawsuit. Get enough of those people that have been denied because the Board has been failing to do their legally required duty and hold the Board's "feet to the fire" and go after them individually, as well as the ISPFSB, and possibly "Jabba".

Thats crazy!!! What reason could they possibly have that makes them or their oversight group think this is the proper thing to do...how is it Covid?

..."If necessary to ensure the participation of a commissioner, the Board shall allow a commissioner to participate in a Board meeting by electronic communication. Any commissioner participating electronically shall be deemed present for purposes of establishing a quorum and voting"...

Find those people who have NOT had their hearings to see if they would be interested in being part of a CLASS ACTION lawsuit. Get enough of those people that have been denied because the Board has been failing to do their legally required duty and hold the Board's "feet to the fire" and go after them individually, as well as the ISPFSB, and possibly "Jabba".

I am in this group. I was put under board review and ultimately denied. Never got a response back from my objections or anything after the denial.

I hate to throw out a dose of realism, but beyond being frustrated what exactly would you be willing to sue over and the damages you're seeking? There are already multiple lawsuits filed related to the delays that have been dragging along for months if not years. Yeah it's absolutely crap. But the state is not exactly amateurs at playing the legal game. Best case scenario legal action would drag out in court for years, before you'd see a favorable ruling.

If you're specifically wanting to address concerns of the March To August timeframe and not from even before, I can assure you you will likely be disappointed because the state would definitely have a very strong defense using the COVID-19 restrictions.

I am in this group. I was put under board review and ultimately denied. Never got a response back from my objections or anything after the denial.

Then you might want to sue for "damages" (your training classes and their assorted costs, the "non-refundable" application fee, etc.) as well as their failure to abide by their own laws and rules for processing times.

I hate to throw out a dose of realism, but beyond being frustrated what exactly would you be willing to sue over and the damages you're seeking? There are already multiple lawsuits filed related to the delays that have been dragging along for months if not years. Yeah it's absolutely crap. But the state is not exactly amateurs at playing the legal game. Best case scenario legal action would drag out in court for years, before you'd see a favorable ruling.

If you're specifically wanting to address concerns of the March To August timeframe and not from even before, I can assure you you will likely be disappointed because the state would definitely have a very strong defense using the COVID-19 restrictions.

See above.

Archived