IllinoisCarry on MeWe

mauserme

Just for the sake of discussion, what would happen to all of the data from Parler, should they cease to exist after last night?

All of that data stored with no available servers.

Parler still owns its data. If it owned a physical server, it's still Parler's physical property. The hosting facility cannot deny Parler access to its own property, physical or intellectual. Parler is just unable to connect it to the Internet.

I read that the Parler data was completely hacked prior to the takedown to include the driver's license pictures used to confirm people (this includes me, but they have my old IL ID so it's not nearly as concerning.)

Separately, I've signed up for VPN service, started using duckduckgo brower, proton mail, and signal for secure texting. Now that I have secure email I'm in the process of moving all gun related email from forums, clubs, orgs, and stores off gmail and into proton mail. I've also moving all banking communication to proton mail.

I'll keep using gmail, but it's going to be a junk mail repository. Maybe I'll add a daily kos or huffpost decoy email subscription to virtue signal for them, but they're completely done getting useful data from me that might someday prove dangerous to me.

I read that the Parler data was completely hacked prior to the takedown to include the driver's license pictures used to confirm people (this includes me, but they have my old IL ID so it's not nearly as concerning.)

Separately, I've signed up for VPN service, started using duckduckgo brower, proton mail, and signal for secure texting. Now that I have secure email I'm in the process of moving all gun related email from forums, clubs, orgs, and stores off gmail and into proton mail. I've also moving all banking communication to proton mail.

I'll keep using gmail, but it's going to be a junk mail repository. Maybe I'll add a daily kos or huffpost decoy email subscription to virtue signal for them, but they're completely done getting useful data from me that might someday prove dangerous to me.

I've been using Proton for several years now, just recently got VPN. That's a good idea moving all gun related correspondance to it.

I didn't have to show a DL to join Parler. They wanted cell number to verify, that's it.

Either one's a deal-breaker for me.

Same here, no cell number will be given.

Giving an email address is also an option if you're comfortable with that. I know many aren't, but it's the same type of system we use to verify a new IllinoisCarry membership.

You could probably use one of the temporary email account providers for registration, if you want.

How do you reply to a post on MeWe? I don't see an obvious way to do that. I just joined and I have not been able to get the time to really dig around yet.

At the bottom of every thread, you will see "Add a comment". Click on that and you can reply. What I don't see, is a way to start a thread. I'm a member on the S&W MeWe page and right above the list of posts is says "Post to this group". There appears to be no such option on the IC page. If all you can do is reply to a post that was created by an Admin, I see no real benefit of the page.

We handle Facebook, and now MeWe, more like a business page to spread our message, while still relying on the forum for member posts.

How do you reply to a post on MeWe? I don't see an obvious way to do that. I just joined and I have not been able to get the time to really dig around yet.

At the bottom of every thread, you will see "Add a comment". Click on that and you can reply. What I don't see, is a way to start a thread. I'm a member on the S&W MeWe page and right above the list of posts is says "Post to this group". There appears to be no such option on the IC page. If all you can do is reply to a post that was created by an Admin, I see no real benefit of the page.
We handle Facebook, and now MeWe, more like a business page to spread our message, while still relying on the forum for member posts.

Thanks for the help. I will be able to spend a little time looking around on the weekend.

Archived