Looking for some info/articles on CCL holders charged under the CCA

LawDogRD10

I'm not having any luck finding any information/stats/articles on any concealed carry holders having been charged for a violation of the concealed carry act. I'd like to use these as examples of what not to do (or just as people that have gotten screwed) in my concealed carry classes. If anybody has any information or links, I'd appreciate them.

Ive seen a few stories on licensees charged with other crimes but I dont tihnk Ive seen a case of anyone charged for violating the conceal carry laws at least not as a stand alone charge......... I assume youre looking for someone caught in a prohibited place or not concealing properly...... I havent heard of any.... or at least none come to mind

Chicago Trib database of shootings by CCL holders.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/breaking/ct-viz-illinois-ccl-shootings-tracker-20200227-ww4ldqwdjrd2ze63w3vzewioiy-htmlstory.html

...More than 315,000 Illinois residents have a concealed carry license, about 2.5% of the states adult population. But the state does not keep records on when these license holders fire their weapons, how often they do it, or if they wound or kill someone. The Tribune combed through police files, court records and news reports to compile its own list. We found at least 71 incidents involving CCL holders and shootings or threats through February....

Some details discuss charges or lack thereof as well as decisions to not prosecute

I went back exactly five years and a couple of weeks ago, a story discussed here on IC, about a ccl holder in Peoria that got into an argument with a woman over a parking space, he pulled his weapon, and pointed it at the woman’s passenger who had gotten out of her vehicle. He then left the shopping center, went home, and that’s where the police arrested him. The thread was archived, so you should be able to find it. I seem to remember that he was charged with a lesser offense, and was sentenced. I tried to search his record, nothing came up, maybe he got it expunged. Article out of the Peoria Journal Star, Spec 5 lives in that area, (or used to), as did I, but I moved out last summer. The incident happened in December 2015. Good luck with your search.

Since posting this thread, I actually had an incident in which a rural resident stopped a truck on his road (one way in, one way out) while the truck was coming back out. Somehow, the burglary victim was convinced that it was the suspect that stole some of his tools a week prior. (He was sadly mistaken and we have no clue why he thought it was the suspect. The guy he stopped had absolutely nothing to do with it and maybe was just stopped because the victim didn't recognize him.) Anyway, the victim pulled a handgun and pointed it at the motorist and demanded that he stay there while he called 911. The motorist said '**** this' and drove off. The burglary victim fired a shot at his truck, hitting the tailgate. He then got in his truck and chased the motorist. He stated that he was "in pursuit" on the 911 call and refused to stop chasing him at the dispatcher's direction. The burglary victim had no CCL, which was irrelevant in this situation anyway. Needless to say, he went to jail.

... Needless to say, he went to jail.

It should also be needless to say that he wouldn't have been charged with a CCL violation. He would have been charged with Aggravated UUW.

In the OP, you said you were looking for:

... any information/stats/articles on any concealed carry holders having been charged for a violation of the concealed carry act. ...

That's different from CCL-holders doing things other than violating the FCCL Act. If you're really just looking for any and all stupid things CCL-holders have done with a firearm, there's probably no reason to limit it to CCL-holders.

Just tell your classes "Here are some stupid things people have done with firearms. Having a CCL wouldn't have made them smart."

Relax. I'm well aware of that. Just thought I'd throw an example of somebody f'ing up out there. Had a similar situation again tonight.

... Needless to say, he went to jail.

It should also be needless to say that he wouldn't have been charged with a CCL violation. He would have been charged with Aggravated UUW.

In the OP, you said you were looking for:

... any information/stats/articles on any concealed carry holders having been charged for a violation of the concealed carry act. ...

That's different from CCL-holders doing things other than violating the FCCL Act. If you're really just looking for any and all stupid things CCL-holders have done with a firearm, there's probably no reason to limit it to CCL-holders.

Just tell your classes "Here are some stupid things people have done with firearms. Having a CCL wouldn't have made them smart."

Archived