Introduction

FredNickl

I want to introduce myself (this is a duplicate of a reply I posted in a pinned thread, if allowed). My firm Williams & Nickl is mentioned on this site a couple of times, but because 2-3 clients have referenced this forum in the past week, I wanted to register and make sure my contact info is available.

Because my partner and I handle professional licensure cases (we have only a literal handful of competitors in the state), we have always handled FOID cases because some licensed professionals require a FOID as part of their license. We have also handled Administrative Review cases for decades, as that is the only option for appeal when a formal hearing on professional licensure cases goes south.

When the CCL statute passed, we geared up in late 2013 for the eventual onslaught of appeals, and as expected had filed our first Admin. Review within a week of the first CCL denial being issued around 4-1-14. That summer, as everyone remembers, was nuts. We had dozens of Admin. Reviews pending and every Asst. Attorney General that had a pulse and a pen was assigned to cover the huge influx of Admin. Reviews across the state.

Since then, I have given presentations to both the Illinois State Bar Association and the Chicago Bar Association on how to handle CCL and FOID cases, including both informal and formal appeals of FOID denials/revocations and Admin. Reviews of CCL denials and Responses to Notices of Law Enforcement Objections.

We have had hundreds and hundreds of folks call us for help with their CCL since 4-1-14.

All that being said, I wanted to let this forum know that my partner and I operate under a simple rule: anyone can call us and ask a question or learn if we can help them for no charge. We never charge for phone consultations. Now that I am aware of this forum, I joined as a paying member and will try to monitor discussions to see if I can offer a helpful bit of advice here and there. Nothing I post should be considered legal advice, but you are all welcome to call or email me with a question and I try to respond within 24 hours (usually within 1 hour). Just use the email on my website and mention that you're an IllinoisCarry forum member.

Finally, just because my office is in Chicago does not mean that we cannot help downstate applicants. Responses to Notices of Law Enforcement Objections get emailed directly to the CCLRB's legal counsel, so I can do that from home. Informal appeals of FOID denial/revocations get FedEx'ed to Springfield, so again, location is irrelevant. Formal appeals require an in-court appearance, but we handle these via Zoom now, and in the past had atty contacts in the various counties just to step up on the first status hearing while we handled the actual evidentiary hearing.

Fred Nickl

312-335-9470

fred@williamsnickl.com

It's not often that someone in your profession actually reaches out on social media to this level, it's a wise move on your part in terms of marketing and spreading the word of your existence. I hope everyone notices your post and you're able to answer a few questions that would otherwise cause lose of sleep! :-)

Have you noticed any positive change in the last quarter of the 2020? It seems like there have been a rash of people getting their licenses a bit quicker than normal, the wait time is still horrible but something seems to have happened at least from what I see online. I understand it's really hard to gauge because any recent change cant really be noticed until several months have passed and trends become apparent/studied and deciphered.

Enjoy the Christmas/holiday.

It's not often that someone in your profession actually reaches out on social media to this level, it's a wise move on your part in terms of marketing and spreading the word of your existence. I hope everyone notices your post and you're able to answer a few questions that would otherwise cause lose of sleep! :-)

Have you noticed any positive change in the last quarter of the 2020? It seems like there have been a rash of people getting their licenses a bit quicker than normal, the wait time is still horrible but something seems to have happened at least from what I see online. I understand it's really hard to gauge because any recent change cant really be noticed until several months have passed and trends become apparent/studied and deciphered.

Enjoy the Christmas/holiday.

Thank you. I would defer to Molly B as she is likely to have better insight to the changes at ISP. But I can say that after complaining to the Director -- with copy to the Governor's staff -- about the lack of response to my inquiries on pending FOID cases, there have been some wonderful changes this summer/fall. With respect to CCL, I feel that I have always had quick responses from the CCLRB after submitting Responses to Law Enforcement Objections, but I have not heard from my clients that the initial wait time, i.e. the endless 30 day letters, is any better.

Fred Nickl

Mr. Nickl,

Thank you for joining and supporting IllinoisCarry. I have had a couple of members mention your firm in recent weeks and I look forward to learning more about what can be done about denials based on decisions of the Concealed Carry Review Board. Had a very interesting and enjoyable conversation with your law partner this morning!

Valinda Rowe

IllinoisCarry spokesperson

aka Molly B.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived