FYI - SBR transfer time

Benbow

• 3 weeks later...

I'm willing to jump in. I'll send in the FFL application and take it from there. I shoot against the local Sheriff and Conversation Officer, I will drag this by them and see what they think. I believe i meet all the requirements: I want to load ammo and give it to my students for classes. i want to test that ammo at home without too much noise. I can see 3 deer stands from my back yard so i'm just trying to be polite with the neighbors.

I'll post my progress or where to send bail money.

It's been over a month, so here's the first update:

I filled out the FFL application and sent a copy to the county sheriff. I decided to fingerprint myself, I thought it would be easier and quicker. WRONG

The only fingerprint cards I had were already addressed to Florida and Arizona concealed carry (I used them for fingerprint practice) so I ordered blanks from ebay plus an ink pad from a different supplier. The cards arrived in 4 days, the ink pad took 19 from Indiana. Post marked on the 10th arrived on the 29th.

Application mailed on Dec 31, 2020

Watching bank account for debit card to be charged

I'm willing to jump in. I'll send in the FFL application and take it from there. I shoot against the local Sheriff and Conversation Officer, I will drag this by them and see what they think. I believe i meet all the requirements: I want to load ammo and give it to my students for classes. i want to test that ammo at home without too much noise. I can see 3 deer stands from my back yard so i'm just trying to be polite with the neighbors.

I'll post my progress or where to send bail money.

It's been over a month, so here's the first update:

I filled out the FFL application and sent a copy to the county sheriff. I decided to fingerprint myself, I thought it would be easier and quicker. WRONG

The only fingerprint cards I had were already addressed to Florida and Arizona concealed carry (I used them for fingerprint practice) so I ordered blanks from ebay plus an ink pad from a different supplier. The cards arrived in 4 days, the ink pad took 19 from Indiana. Post marked on the 10th arrived on the 29th.

Application mailed on Dec 31, 2020

Watching bank account for debit card to be charged

I've printed myself (rolled my own) several times. You can print the fingerprint cards (form FD-258) on heavy card stock (similar to resume paper) and cut to size. For ink, go to Office Depot and buy a ink stamp pad. All have been accepted so far by BATFE.

Also, you can order the print cards from BATFE (for FREE).

• 2 weeks later...

I'm curious to the outcome of NRApistol's situation. I obtained a C&R license some time back, and with it I purchased an AK-74 in factory SBR configuration. Bringing it to ranges conventionally begs the question "how", by most people.

Still waiting on the phone interview. I had to list at least one hour per week when I am "open" for business for them to call. I chose 10-2 Monday, Tues, and Wed. The time estimate from them was 30 to 60 days. I'm 24 days from postmark. In the mean time I had a nice chat with a Type 07 FFL and he said I'm on the right track and that he has silencers for testing his firearms.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm curious to the outcome of NRApistol's situation. I obtained a C&R license some time back, and with it I purchased an AK-74 in factory SBR configuration. Bringing it to ranges conventionally begs the question "how", by most people.

Still waiting on the phone interview. I had to list at least one hour per week when I am "open" for business for them to call. I chose 10-2 Monday, Tues, and Wed. The time estimate from them was 30 to 60 days. I'm 24 days from postmark. In the mean time I had a nice chat with a Type 07 FFL and he said I'm on the right track and that he has silencers for testing his firearms.

I'm not sure I followed all this, you talked to a 07 FFL in Illinois that has silencers in is "stock"?

I think they can have silencers but they can't go to the range and use it, they can't personally own it.

If you get a "stamp" you can take that firearm anywhere within the state you reside. There is a form you fill out if you want to take it out of state. ATF will approve of it as long as you fill out the form and submit it. I believe its good for 1yr.

• 3 weeks later...

Got a call today from a very polite gentleman from the ATF Chicago division. So far my application looks fine and normally the next step would be an in person interview. Due to the times they now do video conference type interviews. We are now sharing email to setup the link for next Monday or Tuesday.

Stay tuned for updates.............

Thanks Benbow for the good advice. I just completed my 06 FFL interview and I am good to go. The license should be in hand in 2 to 4 weeks. It almost sounded like the ATF agent was quoting you. Right to the point on the excise tax and automated machinery. He said I would have NO records to keep for the ATF to inspect. :rolleyes:

If you want to get into the realm of technicality, if you reload ammo ONLY for yourself, no license is required. If you reload, at all, for someone else, like Uncle Bob, your buddy at the club, or the like, you technically need a Type 06 FFL, as (you may) owe federal excise tax (easily legally avoided) and you are actually technically manufacturing. This is also true if you cast lead bullets for your next door neighbor, or load blanks for the local VFW. Thus, in order to reload ammo for Uncle Bob (not yourself), and be legal, you need to spend $30, for a 3 year Type 06 FFL.

Now, once your legal with your reloading operation, assuming you reload for other people, under IL law, you can have a supressor, you just need to just through the standard NFA hoops. If your Type 06 FFL expires, you need to either get rid of the suppressor, or move it out of state, until you get another 06FFL.

Tax stamp is next.

Stay tuned

• 2 weeks later...

Tax Stamp, what a hassle. I waited until today to apply for my tax stamp. Thought I could do the app and mail the prints all in one day, wrong. Started a little after 10 this morning. ATF eForms site was not responding. Around noon I got through for the first time. Filled out part of the application and got booted from the site. Long story short, after MANY attempts to complete the eForm I finally succeeded in paying and getting a confirmation # about 6:30. ATF estimate for stamp in hand is now 31 days.

Bank Card charged "instantly"

I asked the Oak Lawn Business Manager if she'll let me get a 07/02. I don't think she knows exactly what it is. She wants an email to send to the other "powers that be." I think my biggest hurdle is getting the "ok" from the OLPC. If I get the go ahead, maybe I'll sell a suppressor to you in the future...

• 5 weeks later...

Well, its been 30 days since I applied for the tax stamp and today I got a reply from the ATF. I was "disapproved". Reason for Disapproval: IL FOID Card Required. The eForms did not ask for a FOID so I am now trying to get that corrected. At least the ATF gave me contact info.

Here's what I missed:

k. State or Local Permit. If a state or local permit or license is required before the making of a firearm, a copy of the permit or license must be submitted with the application.

Well, its been 30 days since I applied for the tax stamp and today I got a reply from the ATF. I was "disapproved". Reason for Disapproval: IL FOID Card Required. The eForms did not ask for a FOID so I am now trying to get that corrected. At least the ATF gave me contact info.

Here's what I missed:

k. State or Local Permit. If a state or local permit or license is required before the making of a firearm, a copy of the permit or license must be submitted with the application.

Let's move on it. As far as my 07/02, shotdown. The Oak Lawn Police Chief said the only FFLs allowed within Village limits are 01 & 03s. Oh well...

Here's what I missed:

Let's move on it. As far as my 07/02, shotdown. The Oak Lawn Police Chief said the only FFLs allowed within Village limits are 01 & 03s. Oh well...
checked just because you cant always believe what people say: ;-)

Oak Lawn Muni code

...A. For purposes of this section and section 3-1-1-7 of this chapter, a "gun shop" shall be defined as a commercial business location within the village at which any person licensed by the federal bureau of alcohol, tobacco and firearms as a "dealer" pursuant to 18 USC section 923(a)(3)(B) or section 923(a)(3)© and possessing a "type 01" federal license (excluding any person licensed solely as a "collector" pursuant to 18 USC section 923(B) and possessing a "type 03" federal license) engages in the business (as defined in 18 USC section 921(a)(21)) of selling firearms 1 ."...

Here's what I missed:

checked just because you cant always believe what people say: ;-)

Oak Lawn Muni code

...A. For purposes of this section and section 3-1-1-7 of this chapter, a "gun shop" shall be defined as a commercial business location within the village at which any person licensed by the federal bureau of alcohol, tobacco and firearms as a "dealer" pursuant to 18 USC section 923(a)(3)(B) or section 923(a)(3)© and possessing a "type 01" federal license (excluding any person licensed solely as a "collector" pursuant to 18 USC section 923(B) and possessing a "type 03" federal license) engages in the business (as defined in 18 USC section 921(a)(21)) of selling firearms 1 ."...

He sent me the law in an email, oh well, I'll just keep doing what I'm doing as an 01.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived