OWB holster suggestions

Kaeghl

Hello again.

I'm in open carry legal Georgia, and I've been seeing quite a few open carry participants. I've been intrigued by this practice and have decided to look into it.

For those days I won't be going into Tenn, but shopping and dining around Fort O and Ringgold, I'm thinking of OC instead of CC.

My EDC would be either a XD Mod 2 or that good old standby, the 1911. I'm a big frame guy (read: a bit overweight) and frankly, those are the two I favor and actually shoot best.

What holster? That's why I'm looking for suggestions....on the belt, no paddles.

Comments would be most welcome, thanks in advance.

I'm a fan of Privateer Leather. I like the Corsair for my High Power and my little Sig P-938. It's a paddle style... great stability and pretty low riding. I'm always concealed with a cover garment. Even if OC was legal, I'd want to remain legally concealed.

I'm no holster expert but I can't imagine using some sort of quick draw cowboy holster for open carry. I do not want to advertise or show off. You might take a look at the "Askins Avenger Style" holsters? I may try a Privateer Cutlass one day. It seems like it would still have great stability, with a bit less material, but still positioned where I want it to be. I am always looking for a holster with less material that still works for me. Privateer (and other makers) will customize your holster... you can get something kinda fancy if you want with exotic leather trim and colors. Here's what I think is a nice looking Privateer Explorer for a 5" 1911... from the in stock page.

I'm still learning. I have abandoned use of the fashionable Hybrid style holsters (AlienGear and Crossbreed are examples)... I find them to lack retention when your pants are down. Kydex clip-on belt holsters work but I fear for the finish of my guns. I have a Black Arch Rev-Con for the P-238. It is convertible and works quite well OWB or IWB. I'm currently using it OWB when I expect I'll need to remove it during the day.

Leather is classic... a well made leather holster should last for a very long time.

Desantis makes some good

I like the Desantis Thumb break holsters

This will also give you some retention, good idea for OC.

What I like about Desantis thumb breaks, they have three belt holes, two cant positions

https://www.amazon.com/DeSantis-Thumb-Break-Scabbard-Holster/dp/B00EOPER9M

Desantis also makes them for XD

When you don't want to OC these holsters ride high on the belt, just flip your shirt over or jacket and back to CC

If your into cross draw the extra belt hole makes the cant good on your cross side.

Well if you want the Best and can wait a few weeks milt sparks is the wat to go https://www.miltsparks.com/products-55-bn.php if you need it faster and dont want to spend a lot have a look at Azula https://azulagunholsters.com/product/owb-2-slot-belt-holster/

bad link fixed

https://www.miltsparks.com/products-55-bn.php

Like others have said you cant go wrong with TT or Milt Sparks. I use a TT for IWB and a Sparks 55BN For OWB

Any gun I even THINK about carrying gets a TT. I've had around twenty, currently have a dozen or so. I've taken to their High Ride Snap Removeable Holsters, with either elephant or lizard trim. Even with the COVID rush, he's getting them out in under 6 weeks. I have one in black with safari tan elephant trim coming late next week for a commander sized Dan Wesson Valor 9mm. For IWB, I like his Slim XT.

Like others have said you cant go wrong with TT or Milt Sparks. I use a TT for IWB and a Sparks 55BN For OWB

Any gun I even THINK about carrying gets a TT. I've had around twenty, currently have a dozen or so. I've taken to their High Ride Snap Removeable Holsters, with either elephant or lizard trim. Even with the COVID rush, he's getting them out in under 6 weeks. I have one in black with safari tan elephant trim coming late next week for a commander sized Dan Wesson Valor 9mm. For IWB, I like his Slim XT.

Yes Tim makes fantastic holsters. I’ve had my TT Mike’s Special for almost 6 years. Carry IWB 90% of the time. 1911 Commander anywhere from 12-16 hours a day. Best decision I ever made, but since this thread was about OWB I mentioned my Sparks 55bn. Got it this summer and under just a t-shirt, it just barely prints more than IWB. FYI I’m 5’11” and 190 lbs.

Archived