Illinois Concealed Carry Wait Time 2021

Mr. Fife

On 2/7/2022 at 11:31 AM, illinois_buckeye said:

From what I was told, you will get a new foid with the ccl designation on it.  I’m still waiting on mine from the 18th of January.

Weird that they bothered putting in a printed date for the CCL on the 31st. Like they could have waited until the FOID print date updated and backfilled the CCL date. IDK who's writing the software over there but they're making this harder than this has to be. 

It appears that what shows up as the "printed" date is most likely the date of approval of the application (card). Government agencies (and many corporations) will rarely backdate information due to process control considerations. It looks as if this relabeling might be a "band-aid" solution until the ISP can get their arms around the backlogs and new law. Somewhat in defense of the ISP:

The current system was most likely not originally designed to handle two "cards" let alone two cards with different renewal/ expiration cycles

HB0562 was pretty much passed in the dead of night with little discussion or extended dialogue about what might make real sense for the system or users of the system

As documented by audits, the ISP has struggled from both an IT implementation perspective as well as managing internal controls

Despite HB0562 being passed in May,2021, it was not signed until August, 2021- leaving a very short window to code (with quality) and test (with quality) changes to the system

On 2/7/2022 at 1:40 PM, Stats said:

It appears that what shows up as the "printed" date is most likely the date of approval of the application (card). Government agencies (and many corporations) will rarely backdate information due to process control considerations. It looks as if this relabeling might be a "band-aid" solution until the ISP can get their arms around the backlogs and new law. Somewhat in defense of the ISP:

The current system was most likely not originally designed to handle two "cards" let alone two cards with different renewal/ expiration cycles

HB0562 was pretty much passed in the dead of night with little discussion or extended dialogue about what might make real sense for the system or users of the system

As documented by audits, the ISP has struggled from both an IT implementation perspective as well as managing internal controls

Despite HB0562 being passed in May,2021, it was not signed until August, 2021- leaving a very short window to code (with quality) and test (with quality) changes to the system

As I said, they're lieing and fudging technicalities to avoid getting sued; again.

They were required to meet deadlines in 90/120 days.

So to buck the system, they just pencil whip them as complete and sit on the completed applications for months and burn up our 5 year license time.

They are getting sued over a few dollar charges on FOID cards.. this is way worse.

This is a class action lawsuit waiting to happen.

Extremely unethical practices.

On 2/7/2022 at 5:06 PM, kpeklund91 said:

As I said, they're lieing and fudging technicalities to avoid getting sued; again.

They were required to meet deadlines in 90/120 days.

So to buck the system, they just pencil whip them as complete and sit on the completed applications for months and burn up our 5 year license time.

They are getting sued over a few dollar charges on FOID cards.. this is way worse.

This is a class action lawsuit waiting to happen.

Extremely unethical practices.

We need to get someone to introduce legislation that requires them to generate a tracking number for each printed card, considering what's at stake here. 

On 2/8/2022 at 6:20 AM, solareclipse2 said:

We need to get someone to introduce legislation that requires them to generate a tracking number for each printed card, considering what's at stake here. 

You can have this now. Sign up for informed delivery with the usps. They will send you an image of your mail as soon as it passes through their sorting machine. I saw my card on informed delivery a day or two before I got it, about 2 weeks after isp said it mailed. 

My wife and I both showed mailed on 1/1/2022. She got hers on 1/18 and mine arrived on 1/15. They showed up on informed delivery on separate days in the order we did the renewals. 

On 2/8/2022 at 9:39 AM, davel501 said:

You can have this now. Sign up for informed delivery with the usps. They will send you an image of your mail as soon as it passes through their sorting machine. I saw my card on informed delivery a day or two before I got it, about 2 weeks after isp said it mailed. 

My wife and I both showed mailed on 1/1/2022. She got hers on 1/18 and mine arrived on 1/15. They showed up on informed delivery on separate days in the order we did the renewals. 

I have informed delivery but like you said, it tells me when it passes through the sorting machine but only at my local post office, that's not tracking. That's telling me that my card is arriving today.

If they have to generate a tracking number as soon as the card is supposedly in the mail it will tell us 1. That it was in fact printed/mailed 2. How long it's been sitting in a bin before it's actually picked up and 3. an indicator of whether or not it's actually been lost or stolen. 

On 2/8/2022 at 10:03 AM, solareclipse2 said:

I have informed delivery but like you said, it tells me when it passes through the sorting machine but only at my local post office, that's not tracking. That's telling me that my card is arriving today.

If they have to generate a tracking number as soon as the card is supposedly in the mail it will tell us 1. That it was in fact printed/mailed 2. How long it's been sitting in a bin before it's actually picked up and 3. an indicator of whether or not it's actually been lost or stolen. 

Informed delivery is going to show you where the bundle is broken to individual items at the regional center, like Palatine. My assumption / the way I saw this done when I was in the print industry is the card is joined to the letter, folded and put into an envelope that runs through a Pitney Bowes machine to add the postage as it goes out the end of the machine into a bin. The items are printed by destination sorting center. The tracking number would be generated when the letter gets postage. Actually, it was generated via something they called global codes at the time when they were putting bar codes on everybody's mailbox (think back to 2002). Now they just use handhelds with GPS.

The net of all this is they are probably only running the cards 1 or 2 days a month at somebody like this: Commercial Print Solutions including Print on Demand | RRD and mailed just means added to the file that goes to them.

Change in my application status.  It is under Review.

“We have completed our initial review of your submission and have determined that all necessary items are present. Your application has been moved to the background review queue.”

Submitted renewal 1/19/20 with training and no prints.

I submitted my drivers license online renewal the other day.  No idea if there is any connection.

On 2/9/2022 at 1:58 PM, Konyo312 said:

Change in my application status.  It is under Review.

“We have completed our initial review of your submission and have determined that all necessary items are present. Your application has been moved to the background review queue.”

Submitted renewal 1/19/20 with training and no prints.

I submitted my drivers license online renewal the other day.  No idea if there is any connection.

Thanks for posting, maybe mine that was submitted in mid February 2021 is close behind yours. 

On 2/12/2022 at 5:19 AM, kpeklund91 said:

One month now.. pretty much writing this off as a loss.

After 45 days I'm going to be talking to a state representative.

This is unacceptable.

Not that you shouldn't email your state rep at 45 days but if you haven't seen this yet, maybe take a look...There's an email address for the ISP you might start with today and then use the email template he includes to email your state rep at the 45 day mark?

I definitely get where the op is coming from.  I called the other day and put in my ccl number as I still haven't gotten my physical card either even though it was approved on January 18th.  The gist I got was that they want you to wait at least 30 days.  I guess I get it, but if my card is active, why does it take almost a month or more to put it in the mail?  

9 November 2021 I submitted my CCL renewal

6 January 2022 the status was changed to Under Review with this detail: We have completed our initial review of your submission and have determined that all necessary items are present. Your application has been moved to the background review queue.

26 January 2022 the status is still Under Review but with the following detail: Your submission successfully completed the background review and has been sent to await printing.

17 Feb 2022 Arrive in the mail: It is one of the new combined FOIDs with CCL Indicator. Also FYI there is not expiration date printed on the card, there are expirations dates on the ISPFB website. 

On 2/17/2022 at 2:57 PM, ScottFM said:

9 November 2021 I submitted my CCL renewal

6 January 2022 the status was changed to Under Review with this detail: We have completed our initial review of your submission and have determined that all necessary items are present. Your application has been moved to the background review queue.

26 January 2022 the status is still Under Review but with the following detail: Your submission successfully completed the background review and has been sent to await printing.

17 Feb 2022 Arrive in the mail: It is one of the new combined FOIDs with CCL Indicator. Also FYI there is not expiration date printed on the card, there are expirations dates on the ISPFB website. 

Absolutely nuts. There is no system behind this obviously.

It took you under 3 months to complete the process and get your card in 2 weeks.

I've been approved and "printed" for over a month with nothing to show for it.

My card came in the mail. Keep in mind I had let my CCL lapse for two years or something like that, so this is/was a brand new application without prints and not a renewal. My timeline from start to end: 

Submitted without prints: 10/15/2021

Under Review: 01/27/2022- 10:16 AM

Card Sent for printing: 01/27/2022- 11:07 AM

Card Printed: 01/31/2022

Card In Hand: 02/18/2022

So they blew the 120 days by 6, which considering some of you folks waiting on a renewal for a year or more. it is one of those swanky new cards with the CCL indicator at the top with the CCL indicator at the top and red text at the bottom that says "CAUTION: This card does not permit the bearer to UNLAWFULLY carry or use firearms."

I figure that last bit in red is some kind of blanket statement to indicate that the FOID without the CCL indicator does not allow for concealed carry, and/or that just because you have the card you can't do whatever you want and act a fool but it really could be left off BUT there was a similar statement on my vintage 2013 FOID that says "CAUTION: This card does not permit bearer to UNLAWFULLY carry or use firearms. This does not authorize the carrying of a concealed weapon." So sounds like an abbreviated/amended version of that. 

You've got to be kidding.  So today is 30 days since print.  No card.  I called the support number, asked to check status of my CCL, gave the system the CCL #, verified my info, selected that I'd not received my card and would like to speak to an agent, then their system gives me a spiel about how busy they are, and how they would like me to call back another time.  No option to speak to an agent, then the system hung up on me.  I mean really?  Although in Illinois, why am I surprised?  It's not the fault of the officers working the call center I'm sure, but the state should give them the tools they need.  I guess I'll send an email later to ask about it.  

I'll see if I get any answer.  I sent a nice polite letter with my FOID number, CCL number, name, information, photo of me holding my old FOID, etc and essentially said it had showed mailed 30 days ago and that I had not received it as of yet and that I wanted to inquire.  I was polite, so hopefully you catch bees with honey as the saying goes.  

The misses card now says it expired 8/08/2021. And that’s correct. She renewed her CCL 07/06/2021.

it states this:  We have received your submission and your payment was successful. We have not yet reviewed any aspect of your application. It is in the verification queue.

I’m not special and many are waiting also. But I would feel a little better if it was being reviewed/processed etc.

Her FOID doesn’t expire until 2023. But should the expire date not be Covid or is it expired?

On 2/18/2022 at 4:15 PM, illinois_buckeye said:

I'll see if I get any answer.  I sent a nice polite letter with my FOID number, CCL number, name, information, photo of me holding my old FOID, etc and essentially said it had showed mailed 30 days ago and that I had not received it as of yet and that I wanted to inquire.  I was polite, so hopefully you catch bees with honey as the saying goes.  

I have sent them 4 emails. They haven't responded to any of them. 

Fun.  It appears in the menu if you call and say you want to check the status of your card, give them the card # from the website and say you’ve not received your card then they give the option to speak to someone.  The last couple of times I’ve tried to do this was in the afternoon.  Per their phone system they open at 8:30.  I think one day next week I’ll call at about 8:25 and poke around the menus amd be trying to get to that part of the menu right at 8:30 or so, then hit the option for an agent and see if they’ll connect me.  I remember having to do something similar when I got my FOID, and I was able to talk to someone within a few seconds, so I must have caught them as they were just getting logged in.  Shouldn’t have to be that way, but 150 dollars for these ccl cards is a lot of money for them to be marked issued and possibly be just sitting there.  Like you said in another thread it’s almost like they didn’t mail them.

Their address is on the contact us page.  I wonder if sending a certified letter would do any good since someone would have to sign for it.

On 2/19/2022 at 8:50 AM, illinois_buckeye said:

Their address is on the contact us page.  I wonder if sending a certified letter would do any good since someone would have to sign for it.

If you're in the area, maybe just show up and knock on the door? I wonder if they can just run one off while you wait. 

So I attempted to call in before 8:30, by the time I got to the proper menu to check ccl and hit the option to talk to an agent, it was 8:32.  When I used the option to speak to an agent, the system basically says they are too busy and to call later.  

Checked with a guy at church who works for isp, so I’ll see if he knows the best way to get hold of them.  

As I'd posted last week my new combined card was in the mail and received already. Today I saw in my informed delivery that I'm getting another envelope from the ISP firearms services division. I wonder if they are sending me a duplicate card? Can't wait for the mail to arrive to see what's up with that. 

Archived