Illinois Concealed Carry Wait Time 2021

Mr. Fife

On 10/25/2021 at 7:21 AM, Tim85 said:

Got my renewal Friday!!! Applied 6-14-20, received 10-22-21!!!! That has to be some kind of record for efficiency 

Love it!   Congrats.   Our tax dollars at work!   Only took 16 months!    Close to the speed of light!   Gotta love Illinois!    I'm thinking about taking 16 months before I renew my driver's license or file my 2021 Illinois Income tax 16 months after the deadline.   Turn abouts fair play, right?   

I ran across this article where the ISP says are renewals expire December 31, 2021. What happens if the license is still Under Review?

https://abc7chicago.com/illinois-foid-card-delays-bill-news/10926040/

“ISP said expired FOID card and concealed carry licenses will remain valid until December 31, 2021 under the state's disaster declaration, as long as you submit your renewal application before it expires.“

On 11/1/2021 at 2:02 PM, Catie1113 said:

I ran across this article where the ISP says are renewals expire December 31, 2021. What happens if the license is still Under Review?

https://abc7chicago.com/illinois-foid-card-delays-bill-news/10926040/

“ISP said expired FOID card and concealed carry licenses will remain valid until December 31, 2021 under the state's disaster declaration, as long as you submit your renewal application before it expires.“

That was the original extension, but a new one was issued that extends your FOID and CCL almost indefinitely right now.  Ignore that old news.

On 11/9/2021 at 2:35 AM, ScottFM said:

Renewed today, easy process, will see how long it takes. 

Just curious- When does your current card expire, and were you notified to renew by the Illinois Sate Police?

Last months average renewal time was 39 days. This is an average, and your "mileage" may vary- Good Luck!

On 11/9/2021 at 6:19 AM, Stats said:

Just curious- When does your current card expire, and were you notified to renew by the Illinois Sate Police?

Last months average renewal time was 39 days. This is an average, and your "mileage" may vary- Good Luck!

My card  expires 3 March 2022. I had done my renewal training last month to get ready for the renewal application. Then in yesterday's mail there was a letter from the Ill State Police advising me it was time to renew, so I log on and saw the magic renewal button and followed the instructions. 

• 2 weeks later...

Applied for CCL renewal 1/28/21 for a March expiration. Training certificate submitted 4/3/21. Received the card today (7 days after going Active).

Total days from initial application:   300

Days since training cert submitted: 235

The next renewal date shows as 3/1/26, so the state shorted me 8 months (13.3% of 60 months). 

On 11/24/2021 at 2:33 PM, RECarry said:

Applied for CCL renewal 1/28/21 for a March expiration. Training certificate submitted 4/3/21. Received the card today (7 days after going Active).

Total days from initial application:   300

Days since training cert submitted: 235

The next renewal date shows as 3/1/26, so the state shorted me 8 months (13.3% of 60 months). 

Thanks for posting.  Maybe my CCL renewal from mid February will be in the next few weeks.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/3/2022 at 9:32 AM, Nathanmix said:

Its been 126 days since submit my application ccl still under review.We have received your submission and your payment was successful. We have not yet reviewed any aspect of your application. It is in the verification queue.

I'm going on 11 months (over 320 days), and my CCL renewal says the exact same thing as yours.

I suggest both of you send a letter requesting an administrative review:

When a CCL application is delayed, according to the statute, the applicant may request a hearing with the Director of the State Police.

(430 ILCS 66/87)
    Sec. 87. Administrative and judicial review.
    (a) Whenever an application for a concealed carry license is denied, whenever the Department fails to act on an application within 90 days of its receipt, or whenever a license is revoked or suspended as provided in this Act, the aggrieved party may appeal to the Director for a hearing upon the denial, revocation, suspension, or failure to act on the application, unless the denial was made by the Concealed Carry Licensing Review Board, in which case the aggrieved party may petition the circuit court in writing in the county of his or her residence for a hearing upon the denial.

You will need to send a letter to the director and request a hearing on the delayed issuance of your CCL application # _____________ and give the date you submitted your application . In the letter, give your full legal name, date of birth, FOID number. the

The Director really doesn't want to have to go through all that's necessary for granting a review, so what usually happens is someone checks the application, sees all is in order, and the CCL is issued.  If things are not in order, they contact the applicant on what is needed to complete the application.

Send the letter via a mail service that will provide you with a signed receipt of delivery to:

Director Brendan Kelly

Illinois State Police

801 S. 7th Street

Springfield, IL 62703

Please keep us posted on your progress!

So I actually got an email this afternoon stating my status had changed.  The status is still Under Review, but now the other part says

"We have completed our initial review of your submission and have determined that all necessary items are present. Your application has been moved to the background review queue."

On 11/9/2021 at 2:35 AM, ScottFM said:

Renewed today, easy process, will see how long it takes. 

On 11/9/2021 at 7:40 PM, ScottFM said:

My card  expires 3 March 2022. I had done my renewal training last month to get ready for the renewal application. Then in yesterday's mail there was a letter from the Ill State Police advising me it was time to renew, so I log on and saw the magic renewal button and followed the instructions. 

Today I got a notice that the application for renewal has entered a new phase, Under Review. 

The explanation states:

We have completed our initial review of your submission and have determined that all necessary items are present. Your application has been moved to the background review queue.

Archived