Illinois Concealed Carry Wait Time 2021

Mr. Fife

Thought I would share.

Original CCL

Applied: 01-08-14 (w/prints)

Issued: 03-10-14 (62 days)

Expired: 03-10-19 (expired 17+ months before re-applying)

New CCL Application (not renewal - - had to take the full class again).

Applied: 08-18-20 (prints/TCN on-file)

Issued: 01-19-21 (114 days)

Mailed: 01-21-21 (116 days)

Received: 01-25-21 (120 days)

Note: ISP website shows CCL number same as old number (new application did not generate a new CCL number).

Original FOID

Issued: 07-01-12

Expires: 07-01-22 (COVID-19)

Note: ISP website shows FOID number now the same as CCL number.

Received FOID with new number: Have not received in mail as of this writing.

Insta-Check for firearm purchase

Initiated: 01-11-21

Approved: 01-19-21 or 01-20-21 (~ 9 days)

Note: Coincidence that CCL approval occurred same time as Insta-Check approval? Probably.

Hi,I just signed up here to post regarding my 6 month wait for my foid/ccl. I applied for my foid early July and applied for my ccl early August with fingerprints...and I'm still waiting.

I called ISP once after 30 days and they pretty much said there's nothing they can do. I recently emailed them as well, but of course haven't received a response. On top of that I contacted my representative and tried to contact our senators but that went nowhere.

I applied for my Arizona and Florida concealed carry licenses. Mailed the packets on January 14. Received my card from Arizona Jan 30.

Let's put this in perspective.

I would guess it takes at least 2 days both ways just for the post office. There were 2 weekends during this time as well. I also had to send considerable supporting documentation to them as I have a non violent, non drug felony from the early 90s that I had Sealed and had my firearm rights restored here in IL. So they had to go thru all that documentation and run my background and check my prints. Then print the card and send it out.

Still got my Arizona concealed carry in just over 2 weeks.

Amazing.

I am very sorry for all you guys waiting hundreds of days here in IL. There is no good reason for your wait.

Wow! IL is really unbelievable. I applied back in 9/17/2020 for my CCL with fingerprint. I waited 138 days until I reached out to my local representative. After reaching out it took 5 days for my license to go active! May have been a coincidence but I really doubt it. I checked the inspect status and it always said span=underreview and then all of a sudden I checked today and it was active!

Total wait time to go active 143 days. Now to wait for the card in the mail!

CCL first time application: 8/16/2020 (no prints)

FOID renewal: 8/19/2020

Currently under review at 160 days. Same application number for both.

I don't care when the FOID gets renewed given the Covid extension, but I wonder if my CCL won't get processed until they start taking care of renewals due to the shared application number. Or maybe my CCL is "on schedule" and they'll take care of the FOID renewal sooner in order to issue the CCL?

181 days, still Under Review.

@mikelogan, why bother looking at the renewal time when your card has an 18 month extension? I hope you're not going to be looking on a daily basis for the next year.

@mikelogan, why bother looking at the renewal time when your card has an 18 month extension? I hope you're not going to be looking on a daily basis for the next year.

I generally only look on Fridays and I post the count for the sake of others that might be in the same boat and wondering if their own excessive wait times are an outlier.

That being said, I would like to get a new card in my wallet because I don't really like the idea of potentially finding myself needing to explain "but really officer, my carry permit isn't actually expired" to an out-of-state cop who might not be familiar with the 18 month extension.

That being said, I would like to get a new card in my wallet because I don't really like the idea of potentially finding myself needing to explain "but really officer, my carry permit isn't actually expired" to an out-of-state cop who might not be familiar with the 18 month extension.

Print out a screenshot of the ISP page showing your renewal payment, the covid extension as well as the relevant laws. It's all accessible on the ISP FAQ from your phone should you get pulled over. There's nothing to worry about and just wait until it pops up in the mail. Sleep easy!

I generally only look on Fridays and I post the count for the sake of others that might be in the same boat and wondering if their own excessive wait times are an outlier.

Since your card isn’t actually expired and shows “covid” on the web site etc it is all good.

As for the out of state officers, they would check the lappy and see that the card is in fact valid.

Not saying you can’t ask, but we have this discussion elsewhere but I can’t find it.

iirc there was a instance of such and it went well.

If I were to get stopped and it actually came to that, I’d ex0lain the issue and have them look up the validity of the card. They more than likely either know or will already have checked before getting to your window.

Good Luck

I might consider having the JCAR rules and approval besides the ISP FAQ...maybe a bit more official than a statement ISP posts which changes at their whim. Out of state LE agencies get CCL staus via NLets.org and will see the card report back as active.

I believe it might have been Craigcelia who reported being in car when LE looked up his card with past expire date on card and it showed valid.

As for checking web page status, as long as you do not go to under board review, waiting is fine, but iirc thought I read you did not always get a letter and thats how some found out and their need to respond.

FYI...

His link shows the department workflow for processing a CCL

https://isp.illinois.gov/docs/FSB/StatReports/CCL%20Lifecycle%20Chart%20-%20June%202020.pdf

This link shows the CURRENT average time between application received, and issued. Shows a current graphs for FOID, CCL with or without prints, and firearms sales.

https://isp.illinois.gov/Foid

Update: Received new FOID. The number does indeed match CCL number. Expiration is the original expiration. You would think that since I just got my background for CCL that they would update the expiration of mt FOID to coincide with CCL so that it would be renewed at the same time the CCL would be renewed (every other time CCL gets renewed you would also renew FOID at the same time). But if they did it that way they might get accused of saving time, money, and resources... and that is juat not how Illinois government works lol.

There is a printing error on it though. The first two letters of my last name are only partially printed. On the one hand it otherwise matches up with my CCL and one would hope a LEO would exercise reasonable judgement, I am not sure that I would want to take that chance. So I guess I will try to call as that is what the letter says to do, but I am skeptical about that going well.

ISP FSB Time Frames and Other

Original CCL

Applied: 01-08-14 (w/prints)

Issued: 03-10-14 (62 days)

Expired: 03-10-19 (expired 17+ months before re-applying)

New CCL Application (not renewal - - had to take the full class again).

Applied: 08-18-20 (prints/TCN on-file)

Issued: 01-19-21 (114 days)

Mailed: 01-21-21 (116 days)

Received: 01-25-21 (120 days)

Note: ISP website shows CCL number same as old number (new application did not generate a new CCL number).

Original FOID

Issued: 07-01-12

Expires: 07-01-22 (COVID-19)

Note: ISP website shows FOID number now the same as CCL number.

New FOID

Issued: 02-11-2021 (22 days after issue of CCL)

Mailed: 02-16-2021 (27 days…)

Received: 02-18-2021 (29 days…)

Expires: 07-01-2022

Note: Again, new FOID number matches CCL. Original expiration date.

Insta-Check for firearm purchase

Initiated: 01-11-21

Approved: 01-19-21 or 01-20-21 (~ 9 days)

Note: Coincidence that CCL approval occurred same time as Insta-Check approval? Probably?

Quick question: I received my CCL but did not receive a new FOID with matching number. The isp site shows my FOID number matching my CCL.

Is this going to be a problem?

You should receive a new FOID with matching number. How long has it been? Each card comes in a separate mailing.

Thank you. It did indeed show up in the mail yesterday, so 8 days after the CCL. I did not have any issues using my old FOID for that week.

Archived