Time is prime for open carry law

Kipp Jones

In is somewhat interesting, I've been spending a lot of time in Missouri, which has open carry, and since this stuff started, have been generally open carrying there. Not one person has said a word.

When I come back to IL, and need something out of the car, I just take the gun out of the holster, leave the gun in the car, and walk around with the holster, all exposed and such, not one comment.

I have started to wonder if anyone would do anything if a person open carried. Of if it is even possible, in Il, as the holster "mostly conceals" the pistol

LOL, with just the holster, they probably thought you just left a Pride Bar. Were you wearing chaps? J/K.

Seriously, depending on your dress, I think most normal people would ignore it. Except of course, the Liberal Karen's of the world. Obviously, being against the law, you'd have a problem on your hands if the LEO arrived and saw it.

You could of course try it simply by purposely lifting your shirt up over for a while, and just claim it might have gotten caught when you bent over to pick up your Covid mask. Might get a break. But, what are you going to gain? I will never OC and put a big target on my back.

I’m thinking it really not the time for open carry

My reason is that with all that’s going on why would I need to put myself out there to be a target

I might be a target or I might not but I’d like to err on the side of not

If those types of people are out there looking to disrupt anything and everything then I’d like to have an edge possibly

Me, open carrying right now in Illinois would be like opening the gun stores doors and says come in look browse, touch, pick up what ever you wish. And you know it would be a race to see who could carry out a firearm first

I’ll keep with concealed

I am not a fan of it personally but the time is prime to push.

I think the time is prime for constitutional carry. I'm not sure what open carry has to do with the current climate?

Do you mean state or federal? I dont believe anything like this will happen at either level though, especially in the ILGA given their lack of meeting sessions, higher priority non gun items and higher priority gun items like SB1966. We cant even get the small Pro2A stuff to/out of committee.

I would like to see open carry legal. I don't see myself doing it that much since I don't want to advertise I am are armed; but it would be nice to have that option. I am not that crazy about national concealment carry law= don't like the federal government telling me what I can and can't do to exercise my Constitutional rights. I would prefer straight Constitutional carry instead. I think the best we can hopeful for is national reciprocal conceal carry

Do you mean state or federal? I dont believe anything like this will happen at either level though, especially in the ILGA given their lack of meeting sessions, higher priority non gun items and higher priority gun items like SB1966. We cant even get the small Pro2A stuff to/out of committee.

State. With many open carrying in these "zones", it would be interesting to see the dialog now from open carry opposition groups/legislators. Would they be called racist for telling people of color they cannot open carry in an effort to defend themselves?

Yeah, I think it's too early for you guys. We just got it a couple years ago after 20 years of CC.

The odd thing is - very few actually open carry. I've only done it a couple times. Once, inadvertently, and once to do it in a liquor store. I prefer to CC anyway.

IMHO, you guys should expend your political capital on getting rid of the FOID. That to me is most egregious violation of 2A rights I have ever seen and is unique to IL.

I’m thinking it really not the time for open carry

My reason is that with all that’s going on why would I need to put myself out there to be a target

Exactly. I’ve watched a lot of footage of protests and riots. I’ve seen at least one person open carrying successfully disarmed on a stream and heard stories of others being attacked and disarmed for the presence of a weapon.

Open carry might be a deterrence for robbery, but has proven a lightning rod for civil disorder.

Personally I see little advantage in open carry. It gives away the element of surprise, calls attention to myself and possibly makes me the first target of the criminal. But if enough people were legally carrying openly, I have no doubt that it would be a disincentive to criminals. Almost sixty years ago, working as a waiter in a catering hall, there was a wedding party for the daughter of a NYC police captain that I was working. It was hot, and jackets came off. EVERYONE was carrying either on their belt or with a shoulder holster, since they were all off duty LEO's. I remember thinking that this was the safest place in the world, knowing no criminal would not even think of trying to rob someone with all these armed people standing around. The same would be true in public today if open carry were legal and if enough people would avail themselves of that option. I would certainly give it a try, but if I found I was the only one open carrying, I might excuse myself and discreetly switch to concealed carry.

As to why we never achieved national reciprocity when President Trump entered the White House and the Republicans had a majority in both the House and Senate, the answer is the filibuster rule. Without 60 votes to stop a threatened filibuster, the majority just gives up (stupidly in my opinion). Majority Leader McConnell is more beholden to this archaic Senate "rule" than he is to getting things accomplished. He could have easily moved to suspend the filibuster rule, requiring only a simple majority to end debate and to take a vote. Had he done that we could have had a national reciprocity passed and signed by the President early in President Trump's term. But this lack of will shows that while the Republicans want the votes of 2nd Amendment supporters, we are not so important as to make a change in the Senate rules. (I think McConnell ignorantly believes that if the Republicans waived the filibuster rule, then the Dems, if and when they regain a majority, would do the same on any and all legislation. The ignorant part is that I think the Democrats will do just that whether or not the Republicans were smart enough to take the power available to them.)

FWIW, if Joe Biden wins the White House, I foresee some type of unconstitutional Executive Order, which will gain the praise and support of the media and all of the Blue states, which will override state law (or attempt to) and greatly restrict even our current concealed carry laws. The leftist states will embrace such an order and vigorously start enforcing it, hiding behind this Federal decree as if it were issued by God himself. And I have little doubt that if so ordered, Federal agents would enforce the illegal Order whenever and wherever the President so directed them to do it. Job security will override loyalty to the rule of law. For this and many other reasons (including, I predict, a massive collapse of both the stock market and the economy in general if Biden wins), we all have to do what is necessary to keep President Trump in the White House for four more years.

Somewhat funny, a little embarrassing and a thread into the local mindset where I now live in Tennessee.

I live in the country and carry a 1911 every day while outside working.

Several times I have forgotten to remove my sidearm when going into town to the post office.

As most here are aware, carrying inside the post office is a big no no.

The first time I stood in line with 3-4 others and picked up a package.

A big red faced "Oops" as I sat back in my truck and realized what I just did.

The next time I stood in line with boxes with another half dozen folks.

I didn't remember again and no one either noticed or cared.

The third time, yes three different times, the only one who said anything was the postmaster, who smiled while scanning a package and asked what caliber it was.

In Illinois, I likely would have been face into the gravel and zip tied before I got back to my truck the first time.

eta- I don't carry into the post office anymore, lol.

Somewhat funny, a little embarrassing and a thread into the local mindset where I now live in Tennessee.

Several times I have forgotten to remove my sidearm when going into town to the post office.

The third time, yes three different times, the only one who said anything was the postmaster, who smiled while scanning a package and asked what caliber it was.

In Illinois, I likely would have been face into the gravel and zip tied before I got back to my truck the first time.

I think you are very fortunate to have gone into the post office 3 times open carrying in Tennessee and not gotten arrested because some anti gunner saw you and called the police. You probably wouldn't get by with that in most places in Illinois of course. However here in Southern Illinois I was in a bank once before LTC licenses were being issued and a woman was in front of a service desk opening an account or something and I am sure she is reaching in her purse as I hear the bank employee say "IS THAT LOADED"? They did have a non-compliant no guns sign, but I don't think anything happened to her. BTW I know I've told this before.

I think you are very fortunate to have gone into the post office 3 times open carrying in Tennessee and not gotten arrested because some anti gunner saw you and called the police. You probably wouldn't get by with that in most places in Illinois of course. However here in Southern Illinois I was in a bank once before LTC licenses were being issued and a woman was in front of a service desk opening an account or something and I am sure she is reaching in her purse as I hear the bank employee say "IS THAT LOADED"? They did have a non-compliant no guns sign, but I don't think anything happened to her. BTW I know I've told this before.

I agree.

In Illinois I had to deal with snakes and coons so I worked outside a lot with little more than a pocket knife or a multi tool.

Here the farmers and ranchers deal with bears, bobcats, coyotes, etc.

Guns are mounted on the sides of tractors, atvs and belts. It is pretty common to see both guys and gals in town in the grocery store and retails shops in muck boots and work clothes. It is assumed most people are armed somehow and where.

A different mindset by both the leadership and the commoners.

i dont get supposedly pro gun people that think open carry should be illegal. If you think concealed carry is the way to go,m carry concealed, but we should have the option. God know, its not like the commies are not open carrying AK47 and AR15 in Chaz

I don’t know any pro gunners against it (otherwise they wouldn’t be pro gun). As most people pointed out it’s just not tactically practical unless you’ve reached a tipping point where enough people are open carrying. Even if made legal in Illinois I’d doubt you’d ever reach that tipping point.

i dont get supposedly pro gun people that think open carry should be illegal. If you think concealed carry is the way to go,m carry concealed, but we should have the option. God know, its not like the commies are not open carrying AK47 and AR15 in Cha

I think Constitutional Carry should be the law of the land including open carry.

If you choose to OC you should have that option.

Having said that I personally would not for tactical reasons. I’m a certified ‘Ole Guy and am pretty non threatening. It gives me a tactical advantage that thugs do not See me as a threat.

in reality I’ve maintained a pretty good skill set Both with a handgun and a rifle and am more than capable of defending myself should the Zombie Apocalypse occur.

I do practice regularly.

post-51-0-08678900-1593447014_thumb.jpeg

i dont get supposedly pro gun people that think open carry should be illegal. If you think concealed carry is the way to go,m carry concealed, but we should have the option. God know, its not like the commies are not open carrying AK47 and AR15 in Chaz

Oh gosh, I have nothing against those that want to OC. I consider them very brave, but not too bright, sacrificial volunteers -- Those that absorb the opening volley from the bad guys, so the CC guys can respond and clean up. By all means, fight for your right to wear that bullseye.

It's funny. I've lived in NC for 7 months now. I can open carry a pistol or rifle. I haven't. I don't even feel the need to. I haven't gone to get a concealed carry permit yet either. Knowing that I can open carry if I feel the need makes it easier to put off the concealed permit. My neighbors don't lock their doors. They leave bikes and tools on their porches. No theft. It's interesting because this area is way more racially and economically diverse than my old white upper middle neighborhood in Illinois. There we had locked doors. Constant theft from car left open. It's generally understood here that people are like 50/50 odds of being armed, so nobody smart tests it. It's not to say Charlotte doesn't have two or three neighborhoods with a few ruffians, but wildly different from Illinois.

• 3 weeks later...

I agree.

In Illinois I had to deal with snakes and coons so I worked outside a lot with little more than a pocket knife or a multi tool.

Here the farmers and ranchers deal with bears, bobcats, coyotes, etc.

Guns are mounted on the sides of tractors, atvs and belts. It is pretty common to see both guys and gals in town in the grocery store and retails shops in muck boots and work clothes. It is assumed most people are armed somehow and where.

A different mindset by both the leadership and the commoners.

As a fellow Tennessean -

truer words were never spoken.

"A different mindset by both the leadership and the commoners."

Archived