Sen. Rand Paul tests positive for COVID - 19

Mr. Fife

Not surprising, has probably been here since late October or early November when we saw the rash of equal symptoms rush through Illinois and kept getting negative results at all our labs for influenza A and B. It is a very mild virus with a much lower serious illness rate than the flu. When the hysteria is over this will hopefully be a good lesson on how not to act.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

Not surprising, has probably been here since late October or early November when we saw the rash of equal symptoms rush through Illinois and kept getting negative results at all our labs for influenza A and B. It is a very mild virus with a much lower serious illness rate than the flu. When the hysteria is over this will hopefully be a good lesson on how not to act. Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

Wait, what?

I actually had a very strange and severe flu-like illness that started at the very beginning of February, with a 4+ degree fever, aches, chest pain, and huge amounts of greenish-gray phlegm that I was coughing up. It lasted for more than two weeks, and was bad enough that I had to take a 10-day course of steroids, use use an Albuterol inhaler, and drink massive amounts of decongestant tea along with zinc and menthol lozenges to keep my lungs from feeling like I was going to die. My wife got a mild illness four days after I got mine (which I got most likely from being at UIC Medical Center Dental Clinic/Jesse Brown VA hospital pulmonary clinic between 5 and 3 days before I got symptoms) and was over it completely in less than a week. I am still feeling like my lungs haven't fully recovered, and I have a persistent irritated cough that waxes and wanes throughout the day.

I have some lung issues due to chemical exposure during Desert Storm, and I respond like a canary in a coal mine to anything pulmonary illness/infection-related, and have in the past ended up in the hospital having a Code Blue called on me back in the summer of 2009 and summer 2018, so I figured it was just another of my bad reactions to a seasonal pathogen.

I get my flu shot every year like clockwork, in late August, early September, so it has time to develop antibodies by flu season.

My wife has mentioned a few times that my symptoms seemed almost exactly like COVID-19, and I can't entirely disagree with her.

Makes me wonder.

^^^ same here. Took a month to breathe better and feel better. Lots of folks now saying the same thhing. I visited a large car show weekk before Thanksgiving with people coming in from all over. Took until 1/1 to get over it. Clinic, my doc had no explaination other than virus and stay home and do the usual things. Gave me albuteral, steroids and codeine cough stuff. None of it worked..

Not surprising, has probably been here since late October or early November when we saw the rash of equal symptoms rush through Illinois and kept getting negative results at all our labs for influenza A and B. It is a very mild virus with a much lower serious illness rate than the flu. When the hysteria is over this will hopefully be a good lesson on how not to act. Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

Huh? Why does the reported death rate seem to range between 1% and up to 8% in Italy? Even the low end is 10 times the death rate from flu, and apparently underlying conditions make it worse, plus with all the medical folks taking enhanced precautions, it seems pretty communicable even before you are symptomatic...

Now this is really weird that Sol-Invictus posted this. Not sure if he's a real Doctor/Lab guy or talking out his butt, but I never, ever get the flu. I rarely get a cold either. Healthy as an ox.

However, back during the last week of January, I had a 4 day business trip and by the time I got home, I was sick as a dog, unlike I ever remember. I got home Friday night, and stayed in bed until Sunday morning. By Wednesday, I was feeling alot better, but I lost 15 lbs, and just chalked it up to a weird bug. It never dawned on me that it might be related?

Do you care to expand on this Sol? And also, if you are the real deal, what about this assertion I'm hearing that once you get it, you cannot get it again?

Very weird!

I actually had a very strange and severe flu-like illness that started at the very beginning of February, with a 4+ degree fever, aches, chest pain, and huge amounts of greenish-gray phlegm that I was coughing up. ...

My wife has mentioned a few times that my symptoms seemed almost exactly like COVID-19, and I can't entirely disagree with her.

Makes me wonder.

There's no mucous with Covid-19. It infects the mucous-producing cells and cilliated cells first, which prevents the infection from being flushed out. That's why one of the signature symptoms is described as a "dry" cough. Mucous other than white or clear is an indication of a lung infection, but any mucous at all makes it unlikely to have been Covid-19.

I actually had a very strange and severe flu-like illness that started at the very beginning of February, with a 4+ degree fever, aches, chest pain, and huge amounts of greenish-gray phlegm that I was coughing up. ...

Makes me wonder.

There's no mucous with Covid-19. It infects the mucous-producing cells and cilliated cells first, which prevents the infection from being flushed out. That's why one of the signature symptoms is described as a "dry" cough. Mucous other than white or clear is an indication of a lung infection, but any mucous at all makes it unlikely to have been Covid-19.

In my case, the greenish-gray phlegm is as a result of how my compromised lungs respond to infections and how they hold onto the post-nasal drip secretions that I have. After I would cough that up every morning, my cough would be dry and very unproductive, to the point where I was dislocating ribs coughing.

Not to mention, the CDC, WHO, and other international governmental health organizations report that at least a third of documented COVID-19 patients are producing sputum in large quantities from the infection, along with significant nasal discharge.

Translation, a runny nose and coughing up sputum/phlegm does NOT rule out a coronaviral infection.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/clinical-guidance-management-patients.html

Other less commonly reported respiratory symptoms include sore throat, headache, cough with sputum production and/or hemoptysis.

Now this is really weird that Sol-Invictus posted this. Not sure if he's a real Doctor/Lab guy or talking out his butt, but I never, ever get the flu. I rarely get a cold either. Healthy as an ox.

However, back during the last week of January, I had a 4 day business trip and by the time I got home, I was sick as a dog, unlike I ever remember. I got home Friday night, and stayed in bed until Sunday morning. By Wednesday, I was feeling alot better, but I lost 15 lbs, and just chalked it up to a weird bug. It never dawned on me that it might be related?

Do you care to expand on this Sol? And also, if you are the real deal, what about this assertion I'm hearing that once you get it, you cannot get it again?

Very weird!

Same here, tested neg for flu. Wife got it and was down for 5 or so days. I think we both had it already. It passed over the kids, so that's good.

Makes me wonder.

In my case, the greenish-gray phlegm is as a result of how my compromised lungs respond to infections and how they hold onto the post-nasal drip secretions that I have. After I would cough that up every morning, my cough would be dry and very unproductive, to the point where I was dislocating ribs coughing.

Not to mention, the CDC, WHO, and other international governmental health organizations report that at least a third of documented COVID-19 patients are producing sputum in large quantities from the infection, along with significant nasal discharge.

Translation, a runny nose and coughing up sputum/phlegm does NOT rule out a coronaviral infection.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/clinical-guidance-management-patients.html

Other less commonly reported respiratory symptoms include sore throat, headache, cough with sputum production and/or hemoptysis.

I couldnt get anything to cough up. Very dry painful and non stop cough. Codeine ? Ha ! Didnt do a thing. Just glad its over.

I can add to this as I had the same flu like cold. Fever, cough, chills, etc. Went around the house with the wife only getting a mild version of what I had and my two boys having even milder versions. We just thought about it last week but it could have been COVID. Not sure though. Flu test came back negative as well. Doctor mentioned that it could have been Rhinovirus? One thing is for sure, until this has flattened out, more people will get sick if things go "back to normal."

All I have to say is, I sure how the CDC or whoever kept samples of these unknown, Flu-Negative tests so that we can get a better understanding on how this played out. I'm pretty well convinced that I had it, made it through, and back to normal before anyone had any idea the Virus was here. I wonder if they will have tests to check for COVID-19 antibodies to prove if indeed you had it?

Archived