Call to Action 3/1/2020 - Witness Slips Needed!

mauserme

It's About Routine

It's almost a weekly event.

Protecting our rights isn't always a fight on the floor of the House or Senate. It isn't always a frantic rush to head off a bad bill at the pass. Often, it's the simple routine of filing witness slips, or calling your legislators just to let them know we are watching, to let them know our diligence has not waned. To let them know our rights are as precious now as they have ever been.

Today we ask your help on five bills. Two of them will be familiar as bills on which we are building a bank of witness slips that can effect future floor debate, should they reach that point. To see these stockpiles of slips, click these links for HB2254 Safe Gun Storage and HB3016 Use Tax – Gun Safes. A greater than 3 to 1 margin in our favor is shown for HB2254 over seven prior committee dates, and a greater than 17 to 1 margin in our favor on HB3016 over nine prior committee dates. In other words, paper witness slips may be an historical relic, but the record of slips is not only alive and well, it is more accessible than ever. Help us add to those stockpiles today.

In addition to those bills we ask your support for HB4391 Firearm Owners ID Local Reg, a bill to limit local municipality's ability in infringe our rights, HB4591 Firearm Owners ID – Director State Police, proposing to require the Director to act upon appeals of denied or revoked FOID cards within 60 days, and HB5058 Crim Cd – Defense – Retreat, clarifying that Illinois has no duty to retreat and adding both civil and criminal immunity for justified acts of self defense.

Finally, please remember that IGOLD buses should be coordinated with ISRA by calling them at (815) 635-3198.

File Witness Slips Now!

Detailed Witness Slip Instructions

Remember to log in to your account first, if you have one!

In order to avoid completing each field manually, at the top right Log on to your ILGA Dashboard or Create a New Account if you haven't already created one, then return to this email and click on the links for each witness slip.

HB2254 Safe Gun Storage

OPPONENT!

Read More About This Bill

File an OPPONENT Witness Slip

Track the Witness Slip

HB3016 Use Tax Gun Safes

PROPONENT!

File a PROPONENT Witness Slip

Track the Witness Slip

HB4391 FOID Local Reg

PROPONENT!

Track the Witness Slip

HB4591 FOID Director State Police

PROPONENT!

Track the Witness Slip

HB5058 Crim Cd – Defense - Retreat

PROPONENT!

Track the Witness Slip

###

It is not clear at all if all of these need redone since I did the first three the other day as I recall.

From the ILGA FAQ

Q. How long do I have to submit a witness slip or update an existing witness slip?

A. Senate - allows you to submit a witness slip up to the end of the day of the committee hearing's scheduled date.

A. House - allows you to submit a witness slip up to the conclusion of the committee hearing.

Q. If my legislation was not called in the committee hearing but reposted for another day,

does my witness slip stay with it?

A. No. You will have to submit a new witness slip for the new posting date.

Q. My committee hearing was posted to start at 1:00 pm but didn't start until 2:45 pm of the

same day. Do I have to submit another witness slip?

A. No. Your witness slip will stay with your piece of legislation in the same posted hearing on the same day.

Q. If my committee hearing was postponed to a different time or date, does my witness

slip stay with my piece of legislation?

A. Yes and No.

Yes - If the piece of legislation is heard in a continuation of the same posted committee hearing, your witness slip will remain associated with that piece of legislation.

No - If the piece of legislation is heard in a reposted committee hearing, you will have to submit a new witness slip for the new posting date.

Q. My bill is posted twice within the same week. Is one witness slip enough for both committee hearings since it’s the same bill?

A. No. You will need to submit a witness slip for each committee hearing posted.

Archived