Foid Renewal Wait Time

On ‎9‎/‎10‎/‎2021 at 9:37 PM, ScopeEye said:

It's about Time...

FOID renewal applied 5/6/21   ( would expire 8/1/21 )

It arrived yesterday 9/9/21 ( Issue date of 8/27/21 new expire date of 8/27/31 )

When checking last week on ISP web it listed as under review.

Only took 127 days...

You and I applied the same day, I also received mine yesterday

On 9/10/2021 at 5:38 PM, HelloAll said:

How does one go about sending a letter to the ISP director, regarding delayed FOID wait time? Is it a pen and paper type thing, or should it be typed? What info needs to be given? I pretty much need the basics. Thanks.

Typed or handwritten is fine - see attached word doc below:

Sec. 10. Appeal to director; hearing; relief from firearm prohibitions.

1. Whenever an application for a Firearm Owner's Identification Card is denied, whenever the Department fails to act on an application within 30 days of its receipt, or whenever such a Card is revoked or seized as provided for in Section 8 of this Act, the aggrieved party may appeal to the Director of State Police for a hearing upon such denial, revocation or seizure, 

You will need to send a letter to the director and request a hearing on why your FOID was not issued within the 30 day time frame (60 business days for a renewal) prescribed by law. In the letter, give your full legal name, date of birth, FOID number or application number, and the date you submitted the application for your FOID card.

What usually happens is once the director sees there is no reason to delay the FOID card, they simply process and issue.

If, on the rare occasion you are granted a hearing, it is usually a meeting with an administrative judge appointed by the ISP, you may be able to do that as a teleconference or may need to travel to Springfield. You can have an attorney with you, if you think you need one.

Send this all via a mail service that will provide you with a signed receipt of delivery to:

Director Brendan Kelly

Illinois State Police

801 S. 7th Street

Springfield, IL 62703

Request for Administrative hearing.docx

• Molly B. pinned this topic

Renewed: 11/27/20 for 02/01/21 expiration

Went active: unknown(stopped checking)

Issued: 9/7/21

Received: 9/15/21

Total wait time: 292 days

Only positive is my renewal date is now 8/26/31 so received an extra 6 months and 25 days from my previous renewal date. Hopefully, with any luck this will be my last FOID card ever. ED Sullivan seems to think a current ISRA case pending in the courts will abolish the FOID. Time will tell on that one.

On 9/11/2021 at 8:31 AM, Molly B. said:

Typed or handwritten is fine - see attached word doc below:

Sec. 10. Appeal to director; hearing; relief from firearm prohibitions.

1. Whenever an application for a Firearm Owner's Identification Card is denied, whenever the Department fails to act on an application within 30 days of its receipt, or whenever such a Card is revoked or seized as provided for in Section 8 of this Act, the aggrieved party may appeal to the Director of State Police for a hearing upon such denial, revocation or seizure, 

You will need to send a letter to the director and request a hearing on why your FOID was not issued within the 30 day time frame (60 business days for a renewal) prescribed by law. In the letter, give your full legal name, date of birth, FOID number or application number, and the date you submitted the application for your FOID card.

What usually happens is once the director sees there is no reason to delay the FOID card, they simply process and issue.

If, on the rare occasion you are granted a hearing, it is usually a meeting with an administrative judge appointed by the ISP, you may be able to do that as a teleconference or may need to travel to Springfield. You can have an attorney with you, if you think you need one.

Send this all via a mail service that will provide you with a signed receipt of delivery to:

Director Brendan Kelly

Illinois State Police

801 S. 7th Street

Springfield, IL 62703

Request for Administrative hearing.docx 14.15 kB · 6 downloads

Applied 08/11/21, Active as of 09/17/21. Total of 37 Days.

On 9/21/2021 at 7:13 PM, Asher said:

Applied 3 months ago was under review, took your advise and sent in a letter asking for a hearing, got approved in 3 days which is today. Made an account just to say thank you! @Molly B.

That’s a very familiar story.  I don’t think there is anyone who understands all the intricacies of the ISP cobweb of incompetence like Molly B.   She has helped a LOT of people here and asks nothing for herself.  

One way people can help is to become supporting members here to allow Molly to continue to do her important work. 

On 9/21/2021 at 8:28 PM, Lou said:

That’s a very familiar story.  I don’t think there is anyone who understands all the intricacies of the ISP cobweb of incompetence like Molly B.   She has helped a LOT of people here and asks nothing for herself.  

One way people can help is to become supporting members here to allow Molly to continue to do her important work. 

Is there some place I can donate to her?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/19/2021 at 8:08 AM, Hatchet said:

In the mail for delivery today (11/19).

Awesome results- Congrats! For a renewal, this might make some sense. For the month of October, 2021, the average renewal time was at (an astounding) 39 (38.91) days. This could have been because the ISP selected more recent applications to process, or (hopefully) the ISP is though the FOID renewal backlog and we are returning back to a new normal. Here is the history of the processing statistics:

Processing Statistics
Source- https://isp.illinois.gov/Foid or Freedom of Information Act Request
Month/ Year New FOID application Average Processing Time (Days) Renewal FOID application Average Processing Time (Days) New Non-Fingerprint CCL Average Processing Time (Days) New Fingerprint CCL Average Processing Time (Days) FTIP Average Processing Time (Hours) Source
02/2021 118.89 n/a 166.02 156.55 71 Website
03/2021 126.35 176.54 160.04 136.91 50 Website
04/2021 140.39 187.69 162.49 142.79 48.75 Website
05/2021 206.84 218.20 152.10 182.63 13 Website
06/2021 206.93 220.83 184.62 139.05 n/a FOIA request
07/2021 188.95 143.82 143.74 131.79 23.3 Website
08/2021 196.74 258.16 167 136.44 7.75 Website
09/2021 149.47 146.59 147.11 117.78 n/a FOIA request
10/2021 121.3 38.91 130.32 100.49 31 Website

• 4 weeks later...

Here is a timeline of my renewal in case someone is following their recent renewal.

12/8/2021

This is the first day the Renew button was displayed.  Although my FOID wouldn't expire for about 110 days I was able to go through the complete renewal process online.  When I was finished I received the message:

"Thank you for using the online portal for submitting your FOID application. The Illinois State Police will process your application within 30 days for a new FOID application and 60 business days for a FOID renewal application. These timelines are contingent upon application information being accurate, complete and compliant with state requirements. Please allow an additional 7-10 business days for printing and mailing time."

I did go back and look at the original logon screen and now it showed:

"We have received your submission and your payment was successful. We have not yet reviewed any aspect of your application. It is in the verification queue."

12/11/2021

“Your submission successfully completed the background review and has been sent to await printing.”

12/17/2021

“Your card is valid.  If your card was recently issued, it is on its way to you.  Please allow time for printing and mailing.  Please contact our office if you have not received the card within 45 days of the issue date.”

12/23/2021

Received new card in the mail.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived