Foid Renewal Wait Time

But there I wasn't denied. They also haven't stated what the objections were. I also ran a background check on myself and it came back clean so what's being objected?

If denied you should get a denial and reason letter. But that may take a while and many of these repeat letters as noone is getting a decision out of the Review Board in 30 days. People have tried getting those repeat letters changed and a decision sooner but no progress that I am aware of.

How did you run BG check on yourself? LE can

object for anything they want, as simple as having contact on a traffic violation. Cook County is notorious for objections for any reason. They object, then you are forced to wait in queue for a year although I believe Molly has posted some 80+ percent of objections eventually get overturned.

I'm in chicago, I just went to CPD headquarters and had my fingerprints ran. Went back a week latter and CPD said everything was clear, and ISP sent a letter saying nothing came up as well. All while my FOID is active and I continue purchase firearms

Lets just say this is a little confusing.

After i looked at your posts you should stick to the ccl thread where your under review.

Your Foid is still active as of now.

Just a couple of questions,

Did you ever get verification about your expungements from the state police.

Did you go to the cook county circuit court for dispositions on you arrests

Did they give you a copy of your rap sheet.

I applied June 2 and got mine the middle of this month. What you want to do is call the call center at about 8:26 or 8:27 am. They open at 8:30. By the time you listen to all the prompts it will likely be 8:30. Tell the system you are calling about a foid, and tell it you do not know your application number. I think it has your press 3 to talk to someone. Make sure you are doing this right at 8:30. Doing this method I was able to reach someone in a minute or two. My card went active later that day. I can't say this will work for everyone, but that worked for me. Just do it after the 30 days. When they tried to say they really had more time, I just played dumb and said that the site said 30 days and I just was checking, and that I'd never owned a gun in Illinois before, which I hadn't.

This is for the previous posted. I've put in here before about that, but hopefully it helps the last person.

Also, good luck finding a gun and ammo as the guns seem scarce, ammunition more so I think.

Hey Buckeye I finally tried your strategy and called the department. After a brisk hour and forty minute wait I was connected with someone. Played dumb, expressed my condolences for their department being inundated, expressed my concern for my personal well-being (I live in Chicago and 3 people were shot in broad daylight yesterday a couple blocks down the street from me,) and tried everything I could to expedite the process as a law-abiding citizen. Best she could do was give me the QC check while on the phone, so we'll wait to see. I'll keep everyone posted, but she said expect the average of a 20 week approval time from date of application. Unreal. I'll be interested to see what happens with these lawsuits though.

20 week? Ouch. I must have been very blessed that day then. The guy gave me a line about it could take longer but it was still active by like 6pm. What time of day did you call? They open at 8:30 so I called about 3 minutes before they opened and waited maybe 1 or 2 minutes tops. But I did have the experience prior to that of waiting on hold just to be hung up on when they closed after waiting on hold for a while.

I called once at 8:45am and was on hold for 1:20, had to hang up, then called again at 2:30. I'm hoping I have the same luck as you and that they have eyes on it so that they can push it through, but a 20 week window means I'll be waiting another 3 months. Fingers crossed - but I'll be sure to contact some more higher-ups if it takes that long.

(217) 782-7980.

Pretty sure that was the number I had to call. Directly off their site. I figured out after calling in a time or two and not being able to talk to anyone that they open at 8:30 am. So call about 3 minutes before that.

Tell the system you are calling about a foid, that you don't know the application number, and that you need to talk to a person. By the time you wait through all the menus, it should have taken you 2 or 3 minutes and you should be getting to talk to someone as they open.

On the subject of not having a gun, I was raised around them, and had a shotgun when I was 7 or 8. I'm no expert but I'm not a stranger to them. My wife and I were married almost 14 years before making the decision to get one, mainly due to unrest etc. I wish I hadn't waited that long.

A tip that was explained to me by a former gun dealer that is no longer in business in Illinois. Get your foid also if you don't have it so you don't run afoul of the state police in any way. Also, it's probably a good idea after that for you to go to a range with her at least a few times so you can learn about whatever weapon will be in your home, that you know how to use it in case you ever need to etc.

Personally I hope I never need to use a gun in self defense. I don't want to hurt or especially not kill people ever. That being said, if people are going to try to hurt my wife or myself, I will do what I have to. But I hope that I'm never put into that position.

In your case though, even though you should learn at least a little about it, if you've not been around guns, it's good to have a healthy respect for them.

I called once at 8:45am and was on hold for 1:20, had to hang up, then called again at 2:30. I'm hoping I have the same luck as you and that they have eyes on it so that they can push it through, but a 20 week window means I'll be waiting another 3 months. Fingers crossed - but I'll be sure to contact some more higher-ups if it takes that long.
and this is why the ISP is being sued by the ISRA.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Hi everybody, I'm still waiting for my address change to go through, Thank You Molly B. Quick question, I did the inspect elment and now it is showing qc verified and approved but it is not in bold, only submitted is highlighted in bold but I checked on monday and it did not have qc verified or approved next to submitted, although it is not in bold would it mean my card is almost approved?

Renewed my FOID on 1/4/2020.

Currently 8/17/20, and still says "under review" and COVID for exp

227 days and counting!

And no, I have not called. I am unwilling to waste hours of my time on this.

And here I was upset because my renewal on January 27, 2020 was still showing "under review" even though I haven't moved since 2016...

I might be the lucky one, I got mine approved in just over 30. They seem to have a backlog. I heard locally of someone who works in Missouri but must live in illinois, that had been waiting since September, at least of a month or 2 ago. As I said before, if you are waiting, especially that long, I would just call them at 8:27am, tell the system you are checking the status of a foid, that you don't know the application number, and that you want to talk to someone. By the time 8:30am rolls around which is when they open, you should be about to that point in the menu. At which point I'd probably just tell the person you filed in March and hadn't heard anything, and were just checking the status, etc. I would be nice about it.

When I called just after 30 days, I effectively told them I was just checking on the status. I think the guy said something like some were taking longer etc. But I told them effectively(in a nice way), that the site said 30 days and that I'd never owned a gun in Illinois before so I had just been checking. In my case, by about 6-6:30 that evening, my card showed as active. But mileage may vary.

HI all. New here and thought I'd introduce myself. I've done a bit of RTFF already and realized it was best to PM Molly about my issue. So I've already done that and I'll go ahead and share my predicament.

My FOID was revoked / CCL suspended because my wife filed an order of protection on me, which she went back to the courthouse in an attempt to drop it the same day. They wouldn't drop it, but they never served me either. I was still notified of the aforementioned revocation / suspension. She went back to the courthouse thereafter and had the order of protection officially dropped. I surrendered my FOID and CCL to my local PD, along with a firearms disposition form. I then sent in my appeal via certified mail to ISP, delivered 08 June 2020.

I've tried calling different numbers at the ISP and submitted a status request on their website over a week ago. The phone calls lead to an automated system that does not provide the info I'm looking for and I've received no response from my online status request. As I stated, I PM'ed Molly to see what she has to say. Any advice or suggestions in the meantime are gratefully welcomed.

Brian

UPDATE:

12 May 2020: received notification that FOID revoked / CCL suspended

08 June 2020: Appeal confirmed delivered to ISP via certified mail

21 August 2020: FOID received in the mail, ISP website shows FOID and CCL Active as of 14 August 2020 (CCL not yet returned)

Just by way of quick update:

- Applied 7/20

- Called on 8/20 and was bumped into "QC Verified" after a long hold time but a pleasant chat (the "Inspect Element" trick showed QC_Verified within minutes of hanging up with the ISP).

Guy said he had no idea how long the background check would take. No changes as of this post. I've read of others being stuck in QC Verified for another 60-90 days...

- Applied 7/20

- Called on 8/20 and was bumped into "QC Verified" after a long hold time but a pleasant chat (the "Inspect Element" trick showed QC_Verified within minutes of hanging up with the ISP).

Guy said he had no idea how long the background check would take. No changes as of this post. I've read of others being stuck in QC Verified for another 60-90 days...

I applied 06/03, called 08/06 and got the QC Verified bump. I've been stuck on it ever since, and the rep. that I talked to said they are averaging 20 weeks from time of application until approval. I hope that's not the case, but it's a grim timeline.

This was a first time FOID application. I've tried everything - half a dozen emails to my state rep, calls and conversations with the ISP, explaining each time with polite but sincere wording regarding my discontent with the authoritative agencies' handling of not only my case, but the cases of so many others. I understand full-well that they're overworked and understaffed and can sympathize, but we all abide by the laws and pay our taxes. What's the recourse when the state fails to uphold their end of the bargain?

- Applied 7/20

NEW UPDATE: I went ACTIVE today!

If you have the time to wait on hold, or are able to call in early enough in the morning (a la illinois_buckeye), I think giving the ISP a ring after your 30 days to see if you can nudge things along is the best move.

Now we wait on that pesky USPS to deliver...

Archived