Foid Renewal Wait Time

I applied June 2 and got mine the middle of this month. What you want to do is call the call center at about 8:26 or 8:27 am. They open at 8:30. By the time you listen to all the prompts it will likely be 8:30. Tell the system you are calling about a foid, and tell it you do not know your application number. I think it has your press 3 to talk to someone. Make sure you are doing this right at 8:30. Doing this method I was able to reach someone in a minute or two. My card went active later that day. I can't say this will work for everyone, but that worked for me. Just do it after the 30 days. When they tried to say they really had more time, I just played dumb and said that the site said 30 days and I just was checking, and that I'd never owned a gun in Illinois before, which I hadn't.

This is for the previous posted. I've put in here before about that, but hopefully it helps the last person.

Also, good luck finding a gun and ammo as the guns seem scarce, ammunition more so I think.

Hi everyone - new to the forum - found a lot of great information on here so far!

I just applied for my first FOID on 7/21020 and judging by the rest of the stories around here, I don't expect to get it before the end of the year. I'll keep you all posted! My plan is to get in touch with my rep shortly after the 30 day mark and hope for the best.

Welcome to the forum. Keep in mind that it is 30 working days , not just 30 calendar days. New apps seem to go faster than renewals.

Hi everyone - new to the forum - found a lot of great information on here so far!

I just applied for my first FOID on 7/21020 and judging by the rest of the stories around here, I don't expect to get it before the end of the year. I'll keep you all posted! My plan is to get in touch with my rep shortly after the 30 day mark and hope for the best.

Welcome to the forum. Keep in mind that it is 30 working days , not just 30 calendar days. New apps seem to go faster than renewals.

New FOID applications are 30 calendar days. Renewals are 60 business days (84 calendar days). No penalties if time frames are not met.

...Sec. 5. Application and renewal.

(a) The Department of State Police shall either approve or deny all applications within 30 days from the date they are received, except as provided in subsection (b ) of this Section, and every applicant found qualified under Section 8 of this Act by the Department shall be entitled to a Firearm Owner's Identification Card upon the payment of a $10 fee. Any applicant who is an active duty member of the Armed Forces of the United States, a member of the Illinois National Guard, or a member of the Reserve Forces of the United States is exempt from the application fee. <snip>

(b ) Renewal applications shall be approved or denied within 60 business days, provided the applicant submitted his or her renewal application prior to the expiration of his or her Firearm Owner's Identification Card. If a renewal application has been submitted prior to the expiration date of the applicant's Firearm Owner's Identification Card, the Firearm Owner's Identification Card shall remain valid while the Department processes the application, unless the person is subject to or becomes subject to revocation under this Act. The cost for a renewal application shall be $10 which shall be deposited into the State Police Firearm Services Fund.

(Source: P.A. 100-906, eff. 1-1-19.

I applied June 2 and got mine the middle of this month. What you want to do is call the call center at about 8:26 or 8:27 am. They open at 8:30. By the time you listen to all the prompts it will likely be 8:30. Tell the system you are calling about a foid, and tell it you do not know your application number. I think it has your press 3 to talk to someone. Make sure you are doing this right at 8:30. Doing this method I was able to reach someone in a minute or two. My card went active later that day. I can't say this will work for everyone, but that worked for me. Just do it after the 30 days. When they tried to say they really had more time, I just played dumb and said that the site said 30 days and I just was checking, and that I'd never owned a gun in Illinois before, which I hadn't.

This is for the previous posted. I've put in here before about that, but hopefully it helps the last person.

Also, good luck finding a gun and ammo as the guns seem scarce, ammunition more so I think.

Yes I read about your story! I'll definitely give that a shot when it's time.

As far as actually finding a gun - I already see that's going to be an ordeal. I'm DEFINITELY late to the game here. My friends have been telling me to get the card for a decade. Back then I didn't much care but now, I've got myself a nice little family that I'd like to keep safe.

I grew up around guns and didn't want to give the state all my information. We live in Illinois but work in St Louis. In early June when places were talking about defunding police and I saw things on the news about people being attacked in the street, that's when I got the view that we may have to defend ourselves and finished my foid ASAP. I will say we seem to have a peaceful small town. People actually protested in our town, others were ready to run protestors out of town from what I heard, the protestors got a lot of hand signals from locals. So hoping people in our town stay civilized. Personally I've got at least my handgun and have some ammunition and more coming, so if things do happen at least my wife and I should be protected.

Got my card in the mail today. Never contacted anyone about it as I knew there were delays and it hadn't gotten to an extreme that I felt the need to start pestering people who are likely overwhelmed as it is.

Summary of my dates:

Applied: 5/3/2020

"Approved": 7/24/2020

Active: 7/28/2020

Received: 7/31/2020

Hopefully this entire mess leads to some sort of changes. I fear that things are just going to get worse given some of the bills I've seen in the queue.

Got my card in the mail today. Never contacted anyone about it as I knew there were delays and it hadn't gotten to an extreme that I felt the need to start pestering people who are likely overwhelmed as it is.

Summary of my dates:

Applied: 5/3/2020

"Approved": 7/24/2020

Active: 7/28/2020

Received: 7/31/2020

Hopefully this entire mess leads to some sort of changes. I fear that things are just going to get worse given some of the bills I've seen in the queue.

Another success story

And no tricks........Thread Winner?

Just searching for answers so I thought I would join. Looks like I'm not alone. Renewed on-line 2-17 ....still don't have my FOID card. It says "under review". But I would have gambled a 20 that a few weeks ago it said approved.

My old FOID card expired 5-1 but it was damage into many pieces. Does anyone know how to go about buying ammo with no FOID card. I still have the letter from ISP sent to me stating that I need to renew and showing the expiration date. Any help would be appreciated. thanks

If you dont have a ccl and you old foid is in shreds and is unusable Im going out on a limb and say no ammo purchases IN ILLINOIS

But you should know that the old card is in fact still valid while the renewed one is being processed

Welcome to the Forums and Good Luck

Agreeing with the clown that most LGS policy is going to not sell even though the card is active and could be looked up. Umm...how close do you live to Iowa? Bolding above is mine. I recall visting a store a while back when out of state and they just laughed at me when I asked if they needed to see my FOID.

not legally you have not. A licensed FFL, which is the only person an IL resident can buy a rifle or shotgun in Missouri from, is required, when selling to an IL resident, to comply with IL law, which includes a 3 day wait and a FOID card.

The fact that some FFLs in Missouri do not comply with the law does not make it legal. The problem is, that the gun itself, being illegally sold, can technically be forfeited, if the feds get a bur up their rear. Is it likely? No. Is it possible, if, for instance, the feds want to lien on you because an old boss was a coke head and a pervert, and think you might know something, yes.

I'm sorry I should have clarified. I can purchase ammunition out of state. Firearms when I asked, because I have multiple gun shops within about 20 minutes drive from work since I work over there, they told me for hand guns, they can sell, but it must be sent to an FFL in my local area.

The last place I was in looking for ammunition, the guy said they used to be able to sell you a long gun if you were from Illinois(it came up while I was asking him about purchasing 9mm Luger). But he said due to new rules with the foid, they can't even sell long guns to someone from Illinois.

So what I should have said was..... You cannot buy a firearm out of state without transferring it to an FFL (at least not legally that I know of). Ammunition, they don't care.

well, thats niot right either. A Missouri (or Kentucky, or Indiana) FFL can sell an IL resident a non-NFA rifle or shotgun, as long as they have a FOID card, and go through the three day wait. Pistols and NFA items must be transfered through an IL based FFL. Ammo, no worries.

You will learn that a LOT of FFLs simply have no idea what they are talking about, and if they simply dont want to or dont know how to do something, will tell you its illegal, when its not.

If everything that some FFL told me was illegal was really illegal, I'd own one single shot shotgun in .410,and nothing else. Slight exageration, but not by much.

Here's my deadline for my CCL

02/23/2020: Applied/Under Review

03/25/2020: Under Board Review

As of June 23, I've been getting these letters, with the second coming 07/27/2020. Been calling and emailing with no reply. I haven't gotten a denial nor approval. Just these letters leaving me in limbo. attachicon.gifIMG_8964.jpg

A law enforcement agency was against your getting a CCL

And the Under Board Review could take some time

Many threads about the Board Review, it's like Molasses

Hey guys! So I applied for my card 06\03\1997 and when I tried calling a few days ago I went through about 8 minutes of menus only to be given the same information as is on the site. I'm under review still. What should I realistically do here?

1997 is a loonnngggg time! ;-)

1) Be patient. June set a record number of applications if I recall correctly. There is no penalty if they do not meet the 30 day new card limit as written in law.

2) Contact your state Senator and/or state Representative.

Under Review and NOT Under Board Review, correct? 2 different things, one taking much much longer than the other.

As of June 23, I've been getting these letters, with the second coming 07/27/2020. Been calling and emailing with no reply. I haven't gotten a denial nor approval. Just these letters leaving me in limbo. attachicon.gifIMG_8964.jpg

But there I wasn't denied. They also haven't stated what the objections were. I also ran a background check on myself and it came back clean so what's being objected?

But there I wasn't denied. They also haven't stated what the objections were. I also ran a background check on myself and it came back clean so what's being objected?

If denied you should get a denial and reason letter. But that may take a while and many of these repeat letters as noone is getting a decision out of the Review Board in 30 days. People have tried getting those repeat letters changed and a decision sooner but no progress that I am aware of.

How did you run BG check on yourself? LE can

object for anything they want, as simple as having contact on a traffic violation. Cook County is notorious for objections for any reason. They object, then you are forced to wait in queue for a year although I believe Molly has posted some 80+ percent of objections eventually get overturned.

Could be some objectionable person with a name similar to yours...

Archived