Foid Renewal Wait Time

The renewal window for my FOID went active one week after I received my renewed CCL in the mail. I submitted the renewal for my FOID on that day (1/31/2020) and it was accepted. Today 6/30/2020 my FOID was in my mailbox, I have held a FOID card 1968 this is just plain stupid.

I am approved! I applied on 5/8 and received word on the 4th of July, not too shabby :cool: So, 5/8-7/4, that's a little under 60 calendar days, really not bad considering it is taking months and months. I emailed both my state reps and they inquired, and I was also able to leave a message at the ISP 2-3 weeks ago, I'd assume both of those helped. No one is getting it in 30 days, I did what I did and then just ignored the site as best I could, its a waiting game one way or the other.

Morning fellow IC members and guests alike.

I think we need to help all the new people even more than we currently are!

With that we need to somehow get a few new to FOID or CCL and have them in here first.

Then we need to have them apply and document the dates and times.

At the very point, and not past it, we need them to document the correspondence with a state rep.

Several ways to contact and the more the better, Twitter, Instagram, e-mail, and of course phone calls.

Since it has been posted here that the state reps are getting things down for the “rights denied” crew we need to utilize this resource.

So if you actually get here BEFORE you apply or the correct statute numbers of days listed haven’t past, we need you!

I’m sure that with the experts here in if you can’t find the right rep or numbers, they can be found for you.

Let’s get this system of delays and lack of communication moved into the 21st century.

A procedure for “renewals” would need to be worked out due to the “renew button” as we know it doesn’t appear at the same time for everyone. But I’ve got interns working on a plan as we speak.

Thanks and let’s get those new apps in here to get them pushed through, a right delayed is a right denied!

Morning fellow IC members and guests alike.

I think we need to help all the new people even more than we currently are!

With that we need to somehow get a few new to FOID or CCL and have them in here first.

Then we need to have them apply and document the dates and times.

At the very point, and not past it, we need them to document the correspondence with a state rep.

Several ways to contact and the more the better, Twitter, Instagram, e-mail, and of course phone calls.

Since it has been posted here that the state reps are getting things down for the “rights denied” crew we need to utilize this resource.

So if you actually get here BEFORE you apply or the correct statute numbers of days listed haven’t past, we need you!

I’m sure that with the experts here in if you can’t find the right rep or numbers, they can be found for you.

Let’s get this system of delays and lack of communication moved into the 21st century.

A procedure for “renewals” would need to be worked out due to the “renew button” as we know it doesn’t appear at the same time for everyone. But I’ve got interns working on a plan as we speak.

Thanks and let’s get those new apps in here to get them pushed through, a right delayed is a right denied!

Hi there! I'm not technically in the BEFORE FOID application category, but I am a new applicant. I'd like to share a few brief highlights regarding my experience so far:

I applied for my FOID on June 3rd of this year and have been 'Under Review' since. I scoured some reddit forums regarding FOID wait times as I had noticed that I exceeded what I thought to be the legal time frame of 30 days for approval or denial, and I was pretty upset to find the exorbitant amount of time that many new applicants were waiting to receive their FOID approvals.

After reading about their experiences, I contacted the office of my IL Representative this last Monday, June 6th, and was pleasantly surprised to receive almost immediate (same day) communication from a staff member. She informed me that they would 'be happy to make an inquiry regarding my application,' so while I'm not holding my breath, I'm hoping that there could be some action on their end. I have not heard anything yet, but I intend to follow up with them tomorrow and keep pressing the issue. Frankly, I find it pretty repulsive to hear that our elected officials and corresponding agencies are sand-bagging our constitutional rights, especially considering the language leading myself and others to believe that they're beholden to issue a decision within 30 days and are not adhering to that.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated! I'm new to the forum so I'm looking forward to discussing any and all issues and topics.

Out of curiousity, are people contacting their IL state house representatives and/or their IL state senators? People always say they contacted reps but are they actually contacting officials in the IL House? Is one more effective or do they have better contacts than the other?

My state rep is quite anti-gun while my state senator falls more on the moderate to pro side.

Out of curiousity, are people contacting their IL state house representatives and/or their IL state senators? People always say they contacted reps but are they actually contacting officials in the IL House? Is one more effective or do they have better contacts than the other?

My state rep is quite anti-gun while my state senator falls more on the moderate to pro side.

Personally, I contacted my State Rep, not my State Senator. I understand that she is not necessarily pro-gun, but her office was quite responsive when I contacted her. I wouldn't be opposed to reaching higher up on the ladder to escalate things and bring attention to the issue though. We'll see.

So new here as of today. Had a shotgun when I was 7 or 8. Been raised around them, but since I've been married to my wife for the last almost 14 years, we never had a gun in the house. However all the recent events prompted me to apply for my FOID. Which I think having to apply for one of those is ridiculous to begin with. I can't remember North Carolina or Ohio where I lived before being married ever requiring such a card.

Anyway, I applied on June 2nd, website shows me as Active as of yesterday. Don't know if this prompted anything, but I called into their system at about 8:27am and waited in the menus until 8:30 and was able to speak to someone almost right away. My question is, and I think I know the answer from briefly poking around, the time from the card going active until actually receiving the physical card is probably about 1-2 weeks?

The other question. It shows my card as issued 7/9/2020. The expiration is listed as Covid-19. I read about FOIDs being extended to a year after the emergency orders lifted. So I'm asking is my card going to be good for 10 years as normal, or will I potentially have to renew say in a year or two?

Once I get my FOID, I guess the next thing is to go shopping. Been perusing around Rural King and Buds Gun Shop online also, and seeing a lot of stuff sold out. Thinking I would like to get a 9mm perhaps with the cost of ammunition. But I'm new to handguns. Anyone got any suggestions for the 300ish dollar range? A little more isn't going to kill me. But want mainly to get something reliable that I don't have to fight.

Also, I am considering getting a CCL. Just have to figure out, my wife and I work at the same place in Missouri, which as I understand is constitutional carry. But does that apply to someone who has a CCL in Illinois? Glad to be able to be a part and to learn more.

In trying to help an elderly parent renew their FOID, I spent almost two hours on hold to the FSB this afternoon. NOBODY EVER ANSWERED.

I was calling to try and get a paper application as they no longer have a functional computer.

Almost two hours and no answer. SHEEEZZZ !!!! :pinch: :frantics: :no: :headbang1:

If your not that far from them, Snap a picture and do the online renewal for them.

Also, when I was trying to call to get status of my new FOID, I discovered they open at 8:30 AM. In other words, at 8:27 or 8:28 AM, call in so you go through their menus. When 8:30 rolls around, hit the representative option. Using that I probably was speaking to someone within 1-2 minutes of being on hold. But if you call during the middle of the day....good luck.

So new here as of today. Had a shotgun when I was 7 or 8. Been raised around them, but since I've been married to my wife for the last almost 14 years, we never had a gun in the house. However all the recent events prompted me to apply for my FOID. Which I think having to apply for one of those is ridiculous to begin with. I can't remember North Carolina or Ohio where I lived before being married ever requiring such a card.

Anyway, I applied on June 2nd, website shows me as Active as of yesterday. Don't know if this prompted anything, but I called into their system at about 8:27am and waited in the menus until 8:30 and was able to speak to someone almost right away. My question is, and I think I know the answer from briefly poking around, the time from the card going active until actually receiving the physical card is probably about 1-2 weeks?

The other question. It shows my card as issued 7/9/2020. The expiration is listed as Covid-19. I read about FOIDs being extended to a year after the emergency orders lifted. So I'm asking is my card going to be good for 10 years as normal, or will I potentially have to renew say in a year or two?

Once I get my FOID, I guess the next thing is to go shopping. Been perusing around Rural King and Buds Gun Shop online also, and seeing a lot of stuff sold out. Thinking I would like to get a 9mm perhaps with the cost of ammunition. But I'm new to handguns. Anyone got any suggestions for the 300ish dollar range? A little more isn't going to kill me. But want mainly to get something reliable that I don't have to fight.

Also, I am considering getting a CCL. Just have to figure out, my wife and I work at the same place in Missouri, which as I understand is constitutional carry. But does that apply to someone who has a CCL in Illinois? Glad to be able to be a part and to learn more.

Active is an approved printed card so getting it out through the mail system makes 1 to 2 weeks about right. Your new card should be good for 10 years but maybe even 11 with the Covid rules in place...not real sure.

Good luck finding an affordable, 9mm and ammo right now. LGS and distributors are in short supply right now. In normal times Id suggest going to a range and rent a few to see how you like them and how they fit your hand.

Some good info at https://handgunlaw.us/states/missouri.pdf

Welcome to the forum!

I received my FOID last week, as a new applicant, and it's good for 10 years, expires 2030.

Good evening members,

I'm new to the forum, but well educated and experience when it comes to firearms and gun laws throughout the country.

I wanted to take a moment and thank all the members and staff who have contributed to the FOID forum. Your insights and information have been well received and very helpful. So again...Thank you all!

Lastly, on the subject matter of FOID cards...while I completely understand that my current wait time of 35 days is nothing compared to other Illinois residents that have been waiting 60,90,100+ days, I have to speak my mind.

I find it tragic that someone like myself, a USMC veteran of over 10 years--2 years as a marksmanship instructor, and someone that's never had any blemishes on their record would have to wait this long just to be within the scope of the law to buy/sell/and shoot a firearm. Not to be dramatic, but it's situations like this that make me question what it was that I was fighting for. Because in my mind, I was fighting to protect the constitutional rights and freedoms of our county's citizens.

Alright folks, that's enough ranting from me. Thank you again to the site managers for allowing me to join the forum, andI hope everyone out there continues to stay safe and healthy.

-JH USMC Veteran

Good evening members,

I'm new to the forum, but well educated and experience when it comes to firearms and gun laws throughout the country.

I wanted to take a moment and thank all the members and staff who have contributed to the FOID forum. Your insights and information have been well received and very helpful. So again...Thank you all!

Lastly, on the subject matter of FOID cards...while I completely understand that my current wait time of 35 days is nothing compared to other Illinois residents that have been waiting 60,90,100+ days, I have to speak my mind.

I find it tragic that someone like myself, a USMC veteran of over 10 years--2 years as a marksmanship instructor, and someone that's never had any blemishes on their record would have to wait this long just to be within the scope of the law to buy/sell/and shoot a firearm. Not to be dramatic, but it's situations like this that make me question what it was that I was fighting for. Because in my mind, I was fighting to protect the constitutional rights and freedoms of our county's citizens.

Alright folks, that's enough ranting from me. Thank you again to the site managers for allowing me to join the forum, andI hope everyone out there continues to stay safe and healthy.

-JH USMC Veteran

I know exactly what you mean. I am a disabled combat vet, who has been shooting for over 40 years, had scads of high-skill military shooting training, teach self-protection to very at-risk groups of people (who are all favored groups by progressive agendas and causes, just so happens), and have jumped through every hoop known to man to prove that I am "one of the good ones"—and yet, this state has literally taken legal steps to try to prevent me from exercising the Constitutionally protected rights that I fought and sacrificed permanently for. Thankfully, they lost in my case, but I see this kind of thing so often, and many of the people it happens to don't have the resources or the energy to go toe-to-toe with the rights-infringing government of this clown-car of a state, and they end up losing those freedoms that we fought for.

That's what's truly deplorable.

How long does it take to actually get the card in the mail? I applied on June 2, and it said it went active on July 9, but I've not yet received the card. Hopefully in the next week as I'm ready to shop. I do notice I went to check my status again and the site appears to be down?

Applied on June 2nd and it went active July 9th?

Barely past the 30 day Leo objection timeframe!

Play the lottery right away

Take a self portrait as you are a real life unicorn

Good Luck

Archived