Baofeng radio recommendation?

InterestedBystander

We have several Baofeng radios that work extremely well. The model selection depends on what you want to do with them. They are inexpensive, but good quality and not your average crap radio. A good antenae is also helpful. Call a shop and talk to their guy with all of your questions.

I like Universal Radio in Florida or Mass, I can't remember. Or spell. LoL!

I have quite a few of the UV5R models. Great little radio for "close" in work. IE, no more than 2 miles max for transmitting. Works great as a scanner when you have the appropriate frequencies programmed in. I can receive Chicago Police chatter from 15 miles away. There is quite a bit to programming them. I HIGHLY suggest the program CHIRP to program them. It's free. There a quite a few youtube videos on how to use them and the program. The UV5R can be found on ebay for $25ish??

I have quite a few of the UV5R models. Great little radio for "close" in work. IE, no more than 2 miles max for transmitting. Works great as a scanner when you have the appropriate frequencies programmed in. I can receive Chicago Police chatter from 15 miles away. There is quite a bit to programming them. I HIGHLY suggest the program CHIRP to program them. It's free. There a quite a few youtube videos on how to use them and the program. The UV5R can be found on ebay for $25ish??

The reason you can hear 15 miles away is that CPD uses repeaters to allow them to talk further distances. If it wasnt for repeaters and only radio to radio communication, they too would probably have a max distance of around 2 miles. They do have channels on the radios called "car to car" which do not utilize the repeater and have a very limited distance. The repeaters also come into play when officers are in certain locations like underground in the subway. Without repeaters, their radios would be useless. They couldn't reach out and the dispatchers would be unable to contact them.

I'm a ham radio operator. I am familiar how repeaters work.

I make no assumptions. I was just providing further info on your post because not everyone knows how these radios function or how the distance is effectively increased. It wasnt made clear in your post. Most of these radios do not have an effective distance of much more than a mile or so and I wanted to explain how it was that you were able to hear communications from a distance of 15 miles away.

According to this FCC advisory, many of these types of radios, which are capable of being programmed to transmit outside of the amateur radio bands (such as MURS, FRS, GMRS, and other services) but do not possess FCC certification to do so, "cannot be imported, advertised, sold, or used."

I don't know how many of the current manufacturers and sellers will comply with this restriction.

https://docs.fcc.gov/public/attachments/DA-18-980A1.pdf

According to this FCC advisory, many of these types of radios, which are capable of being programmed to transmit outside of the amateur radio bands (such as MURS, FRS, GMRS, and other services) but do not possess FCC certification to do so, "cannot be imported, advertised, sold, or used."

I don't know how many of the current manufacturers and sellers will comply with this restriction.

https://docs.fcc.gov/public/attachments/DA-18-980A1.pdf

Kinda like guns.

We need a manufacturer to produce the radio equivalent of an 80% lower.

When I started in ham radio about a fourth of the people in our club had built there own radios. All capable of out of band use.

^ this ***

Archived