Illinois Concealed Carry Wait Time 2020

Mr. Fife

• 2 weeks later...

Applied 9/27 with prints. On the edge of my seat....

Applied 9/27/20 with prints

Active on website stating issued 1/13/21

Waiting to receive card.

If the mail time of my wife's FOID is any indication, I'm not getting my hopes up. Her FOID went Active on website stating Issued 12/30/20 and has yet to show up.

I saw a post on FB where some guy actually got through to the ISP and was told the printer has been broken for a week and they can’t print any cards.

Really? Only in Illinois

Expired in Feb but did not renew until Aug because I work out of state a lot and couldn’t find a class when I was home. Looking at the FAQ on the ISP website one reads that I can carry as I submitted my renewal the other says I can’t because I expired prior to 9 March. I sent an email to ISP asking for clarification but have not heard back so I sent on to my Rep and received the below.

Thank you for taking the time to reach out to our office regarding your issue with ISP. I am contacting my legislative liaison with ISP for a status on your request.

If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me.

I don’t know if it will do anything to get my license any sooner, but it would be nice to know if I can legally carry in the state I live in instead of just the others that I work in.

I finally received a response from the ISP via my Rep. I can carry with the original card only because I started the renewal process in Jan even though I didn’t take the class until Aug.

I’d be very careful as your rep. Isn’t going to be taking any rides

The ISP statements (posted here many times) were that with the March declaration of the pandemic that those who expired after then would be given the carry on old card till date, 18 months etc.

If you expired in February and then didn’t renew till August it would be a new app as you did expire. IANAL YMMV IMHO

Check the portal and see if you in hand ccl number is active and listed date is “COVID”.

Good luck and never trust a politician to know the law or to be honest about actually talking to the ISP.

Applied 9/27 with prints. On the edge of my seat....

Applied 9/27/20 with prints

Active on website stating issued 1/13/21

Waiting to receive card.

If the mail time of my wife's FOID is any indication, I'm not getting my hopes up. Her FOID went Active on website stating Issued 12/30/20 and has yet to show up.

I saw a post on FB where some guy actually got through to the ISP and was told the printer has been broken for a week and they can’t print any cards.

Really? Only in Illinois

Wouldnt surprise me. I seem to recall reading a post here that they only had one printer which is insane.

Expired in Feb but did not renew until Aug because I work out of state a lot and couldn’t find a class when I was home. Looking at the FAQ on the ISP website one reads that I can carry as I submitted my renewal the other says I can’t because I expired prior to 9 March. I sent an email to ISP asking for clarification but have not heard back so I sent on to my Rep and received the below.

Thank you for taking the time to reach out to our office regarding your issue with ISP. I am contacting my legislative liaison with ISP for a status on your request.

If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me.

I don’t know if it will do anything to get my license any sooner, but it would be nice to know if I can legally carry in the state I live in instead of just the others that I work in.

I finally received a response from the ISP via my Rep. I can carry with the original card only because I started the renewal process in Jan even though I didn’t take the class until Aug.

I’d be very careful as your rep. Isn’t going to be taking any rides

The ISP statements (posted here many times) were that with the March declaration of the pandemic that those who expired after then would be given the carry on old card till date, 18 months etc.

If you expired in February and then didn’t renew till August it would be a new app as you did expire. IANAL YMMV IMHO

Check the portal and see if you in hand ccl number is active and listed date is “COVID”.

Good luck and never trust a politician to know the law or to be honest about actually talking to the ISP.

The reply had the exact day and time that I logged into the system in Jan to start the renewal process, and the day and time that I up loaded my certificate. I took the 8 hour class as it was all that was available, but got the 3 hour certificate as that was what I was told I needed. Only time will tell. One FAQ has the March date, another FAQ has no date. Thus my reason for sending an email to the ISP which they still have not respond to directly. The response from the Rep contains the entire thread so unless my Rep has access to the ISP system the answer had to come from the ISP. I can carry in almost any state other than IL if I was lied to, making my chance of getting in a pickle if I was lied to very small. I’ll take my chances with the information I was given by the ISP. I do find it odd that seeing as they had to go into my application in depth to get the information they needed to answer the question that they didn’t go ahead and start to process it. I managed to get a 03 FFL in less than a month, so my background check is not the issue.

I managed to get a 03 FFL in less than a month, so my background check is not the issue.

I believe background check for FOID + CCL are different than for a C+R FFL 03

I get that, the state of Illinois makes up things to look at. I have the same CLEO for both, he didn’t object to one so probably won’t object to the other. I haven’t so much as been pulled over since I got the first CCL. I had a TS until I decided not to renew as I don’t need it for anything any more. The issue here is that the State has perfected making excuses instead of doing things within the rules..

I have the same CLEO for both, he didn’t object to one so probably won’t object to the other.

CLEO gets informed for C & R. But for the FOID/CCL apps go to the ISP...not aware local LE participates and is involved. Or were you referring to the 30 day objection period for CCL. That does not have to be your local LE.

I applied for the first time to get my IL CCL on 09/24/2020. Status changed to "denied" after 97 days because apparently I had not uploaded my CCL Certificate during my initial application process ( which I know I did upload). I logged back in as soon as I saw this and uploaded the CCL Certificate, yet again! It's now 139 days and no answer. Has anyone experienced this too? If so, does the "Clock" reset to the date I submitted the CCL certificate again?

Applied for new CCL : 09/24/2020

Resubmitted CCL Cert: 12/31/2020

Number: Pending

I applied for the first time to get my IL CCL on 09/24/2020. Status changed to "denied" after 97 days because apparently I had not uploaded my CCL Certificate during my initial application process ( which I know I did upload). I logged back in as soon as I saw this and uploaded the CCL Certificate, yet again! It's now 139 days and no answer. Has anyone experienced this too? If so, does the "Clock" reset to the date I submitted the CCL certificate again?

Number: Pending

Yes, several other people have reported they were denied because of no certificate yet, they knew for certain it had been uploaded. It most cases, yes, the calendars starts over once everything has been corrected with ISP.

Important question: Has your status changed back to under review?

• 2 weeks later...

I applied on 10/18/2020, I received a notification that the certificate I uploaded was not legible does the clock restart now? Is there anything I can do to expedite the process? Why did they wait 135 days to tell me they couldn't read the certificate? could this not have been handled earlier so that I don't have to wait a year to get my license?

Why did they wait 135 days to tell me they couldn't read the certificate?

Because they are just now getting around to looking at your application? The backlog is so great, this is how long it's taking them to process applications.

Ohh, I didn't know it took them 120+ days to even look at the application. So if the photo is not satisfactory this time as well, does it just keep getting pushed back until the receive a satisfactory photo. In theory this could just continue you and I would just never get it.

Ohh, I didn't know it took them 120+ days to even look at the application. So if the photo is not satisfactory this time as well, does it just keep getting pushed back until the receive a satisfactory photo. In theory this could just continue you and I would just never get it.

I would think not, now that someone actually has eyes on it.

• 4 weeks later...

So, it's been over 6 months since my original application was submitted for a new CCL and honestly, I had already given up hope that Illinois would issue it anytime soon. I was thinking at-least another 3 months, if not 6 months of more waiting.

This morning, I checked the ISP website and FINALLY the status shows "active" and the issue date shows 04/01/2021. I would assume that I should be getting my CCL in the next week or so.

Issued: 04/01/2021

For those who have received their CCL recently, what's the average time from Issue date to received in mailbox?

Thanks in advance.....

So, it's been over 6 months since my original application was submitted for a new CCL and honestly, I had already given up hope that Illinois would issue it anytime soon. I was thinking at-least another 3 months, if not 6 months of more waiting.

This morning, I checked the ISP website and FINALLY the status shows "active" and the issue date shows 04/01/2021. I would assume that I should be getting my CCL in the next week or so.

For those who have received their CCL recently, what's the average time from Issue date to received in mailbox?

Thanks in advance.....

You probably are looking at 7 to 10 days, but the USPS is a bit challenged now. ISP says 30 days. Cards need to be printed, sorted, batched, delivered to USPS, and sent through the system...so patience. Sign up for informed delivery and you can see when it hits the PO equipment if yours is one that takes photos.

Thanks in advance.....

Thanks in advance.....

You probably are looking at 7 to 10 days, but the USPS is a bit challenged now. ISP says 30 days. Cards need to be printed, sorted, batched, delivered to USPS, and sent through the system...so patience. Sign up for informed delivery and you can see when it hits the PO equipment if yours is one that takes photos.

• 2 weeks later...

Applied for CCL and FOID renewal 9/23/2020. FOID went active 4/5/2021. CCL still under review. Numerous emails have gone unanswered.

Applied for both FOID and CCL on 9/1/20. FOID went active on the same date as yours, 4/5/21. I was expecting another seven-month wait for the CCL, but it went active ten days later, on 4/15/21.

Archived