The right to brandish in Michigan

Sol-Invictus

Makes sense to me.

I suspect "brandishing" happens more than is reported.

I dare say many of a certain age recall Mom brandishing the paddle...

Now, some important caveats. This is a Michigan case. It is not setting rules for other jurisdictions. Don’t rely on Michigan law to determine your actions in, say, Ohio. Moreover, even under legal standards similar to Michigan’s it’s still a grave decision to pull a weapon from a holster or from the glove compartment of your car. It’s legally consequential and extremely dangerous. But the Michigan case outlines what should be the proper legal standard. The sight of a gun has the power to deter violence, and banning its use outside of the threat of imminent death would — perversely enough — allow too many confrontations to escalate.

Sounds like a wise ruling. Too bad it is solely limited to Michigan.

What’s the rule in here in Illinois, If you pull, fire the weapon or face additional charges! Welcome to thunder dome!

Think about that...

I assume you're joking, but I can't even begin to tell you how many people actually believe that.

"If you draw and don't shoot, it's brandishing, and that's illegal."

No... no it's not lol.

What’s the rule in here in Illinois, If you pull, fire the weapon or face additional charges! Welcome to thunder dome!

Think about that...

I assume you're joking, but I can't even begin to tell you how many people actually believe that.

No... no it's not lol.

That kind of logic could land someone in prison for manslaughter especially if the aggressor is obviously backing down after the gun is pulled.

Think about that...

No... no it's not lol.

That kind of logic could land someone in prison for manslaughter especially if the aggressor is obviously backing down after the gun is pulled.

That Florida fellow a while back could have benefited greatly by not shooting and possibly avoided prison time for man slaughter.

Archived