For those legally carrying with a expired permit

flw

Not doing anything differently then when it was still inside of a valid date. I don't believe the printed copy of your renewal is worth a thing to a cop hellbent on arrest. The fact is that as long as you are "under review" at least, they should know that when pulling your info.

+1

In the event I get pulled over, I don't plan on telling the cop anything. If they bring up CCL then fine, but until then it's "don't ask - don't tell".

If in fact you renewed the license BEFORE it expired then you cant be carrying on an expired license!

The license stays “ACTIVE “ while it is processed.

IF law enforcement were to stop you AND ask to see your license AND went to his car to run it, it would say Active and as a short explanation might be needed, if the card shows active on their computer then you haven't done anything wrong.

Lots of paranoia floating around but the number of posts here over the 5 years suggest most if not nearly all licensees never have to or have shown their license to law enforcement to begin with.

Lastly it surprises me how MollyB or a leader/admin here answers this question and peeps still won't take that as a correct answer.

SHE is in the know folks, and she works very hard for us daily, why doubt her posts on this?

I've got a very good friend that is LE in the town I live in. I used to be part time LE until quite a few years ago they got rid of the part timers and I had to go full time or stay with my real job. Any way he was by my house with his car a couple weeks ago and I brought this issue up so he ran my drivers license and all it showed was my CCL was expired. I have since received my renewal so I'm not worried about it. I'm wondering if maybe where you get stopped determines how much info they have? Best thing I can say is don't get pulled over while you are expired to save a lot of headaches!

I've got a very good friend that is LE in the town I live in. I used to be part time LE until quite a few years ago they got rid of the part timers and I had to go full time or stay with my real job. Any way he was by my house with his car a couple weeks ago and I brought this issue up so he ran my drivers license and all it showed was my CCL was expired. I have since received my renewal so I'm not worried about it. I'm wondering if maybe where you get stopped determines how much info they have? Best thing I can say is don't get pulled over while you are expired to save a lot of headaches!

But when Kings friend ran his it came back active. What a mess if all systems or versions of systems are not reporting the same information.

Well both Chiefs state that their departments are well aware of the renewal language.

Both have stated that there would be no issue.

One said the information IF needed by an officer would be available to them on the computers.

Something about more than one system to search.

Shorewood, Illinois Chief........lives directly across the street

South Barrington, Illinois Chief........my wife's uncle

You’d be surprised at how these guys and more have our backs, it's a great idea to be carrying both have said.

Just FYI

Shorewood, Illinois Chief........lives directly across the street

South Barrington, Illinois Chief........my wife's uncle

You’d be surprised at how these guys and more have our backs, it's a great idea to be carrying both have said.

Just FYI

I’m not surprised in the least. I have MANY friends and relatives who are cops, CPD, suburbs, and Feds. They have NO problem with law abiding citizens carrying because they see what happens when law abiding citizens are easy targets.

I don't think I've ever even MENtioned being armed when I've gotten pulled over...never been pulled over in a "duty to inform" state. Same since I've been "expired" if I get pulled over before it renews...if they ask, of course I'll inform...but I wouldn't go into a long unnecessary story about "Well, I know it says expired, but I renewed before the expiration date according to ILCS X/XXXXXXXX so technically it's still valid I just haven't gotten the new one yet. :D :D "

If you submitted before expiration, the date on your "expired" CCL doesn't matter. I forget the exact wording, but when they run your CCL through the database, it will come back as "ACTIVE" and state that you reapplied before expiration, and show the Compiled Statute that deems/renders the license valid after "expiration."

I totally get the fears from living in a gun-hating, citizen-hating sh**hole state like Illinois...I hate this state/government just as much as anyone. But don't stress yourself to a heart attack. And don't deprive yourself of your 2A self-protection. You should/may still be carrying.

I'm literally renewing ONE day before expiry - because I can!

Let the free carry time roll in! :D

All I will do is continue to carry my "expired" CCL card, and a printout/copy of the statute and the screenshot/proof of renewal/application or whatever I feel will meet the "requirement" to show that I have 'applied to renew'.

I'm not worried about "taking the ride", and I'm also not worried about out of state carry ("reciprocity" or "recognition") because I have FIVE carry licenses in total (with IL being one of them)... So, even without IL I can still carry almost everywhere (if not everywhere) that I can with my IL (so having the actual card "expired" will not effect my out of state travels)!

Would the "system" show active if you are carrying in another state that recognizes Illinois carry? Have vacation coming up and it looks like the renewal will not be done before then.

Yes.

Out-of-state officers receive the exact same information as Illinois officers when doing an Illinois query on name/driver's license/CCL.

All I will do is continue to carry my "expired" CCL card, and a printout/copy of the statute and the screenshot/proof of renewal/application or whatever I feel will meet the "requirement" to show that I have 'applied to renew'.

I'm not worried about "taking the ride", and I'm also not worried about out of state carry ("reciprocity" or "recognition") because I have FIVE carry licenses in total (with IL being one of them)... So, even without IL I can still carry almost everywhere (if not everywhere) that I can with my IL (so having the actual card "expired" will not effect my out of state travels)!

I agree with your perspective. But I would renew a week or so ahead of one's expiration in case unexpected technology issues pop-up ... Internet problems, ISP website broken, ISP website down for maintenance, other. If for any of these reasons you cannot renew ahead of your expiration, you've just opened another can of worms. Just my unsolicited 2 cents.

I agree with your perspective. But I would renew a week or so ahead of one's expiration in case unexpected technology issues pop-up ... Internet problems, ISP website broken, ISP website down for maintenance, other. If for any of these reasons you cannot renew ahead of your expiration, you've just opened another can of worms. Just my unsolicited 2 cents.

I exp'ed 3/22. Renewal date was 3/21. Fortunately I had no issues with the renewal but I do agree with your perspective. Live fast, take chances I guess. If I have to pay to utilize my god given rights, I'm getting all of my money's worth.

I'm actually going to have to agree with that perspective, and was starting to take that into consideration just moments before logging back into the board today! (good minds think alike!?)

I think What I'll do is renew tonight (after their office 'closes') or tomorrow, seeing as they're only M-F they will not actually begin processing it until MON anyway (and I expire TUE the 30)!

I at this point did just want to 'maximize' my 'free' carry time :D But yes, I agree - if for any reason their site was 'down' I would be SOL and have to do ANOTHER 16 hour class, yea, no thanks! Tonight or tomorrow it will be! Then they can start on me Mon, which is 'the day before' anyway! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Archived