Purchasing handgun at 17 with FOID & parental consent?

I was wondering would I be able to go into a gun shop with my mom and purchase a handgun at 17 with my FOID card and with my mom who is my sponser for my FOID? Would it be acceptable since im with my parent who co-signed for my FOID, but doesnt have a FOID for herself?

Or would my mom also have to apply for her own FOID card for me to acquire a handgun with her?

I know you have to be 21+ to purchase a handgun, but it that also for FOID card holders at 17/18 years of age?

I'm no lawyer, but to my understanding you are not able to purchase a handgun until your 21. You are allowed to possess a handgun with a valid FOID card (i.e. transporting it unloaded in a case to a range to fire it), but you are not allowed to purchase one.

Again, not a lawyer, seek professional legal council.

Under Federal Law an FFL cannot transfer a handgun to anyone under age 21. Also under Federal Law no one, FFL or non-FFL (with some exceptions), may transfer a handgun to anyone under age 18.

Illinois Law prohibits transferring a concealable firearm to anyone under age 18. Illinois Law also prohibits the transfer to your mom because she has no FOID card.

Having your mom get a FOID card isn't an option either because buying any firearm with the intention of transferring it to a person who cannot legally own it would itself be illegal.

You'll have to wait a while before you can legally own a handgun.

Of course someone had to come along and muddy the waters here. That person is me. There is a legal distinction between ownership and possession. There are ways to own and not possess. There are also exemptions on possession for minors. Will an FFL be involved in this process absolutely not.

Without a parent in your household with an FOID card, you have no options or exemptions.

^ this ***

Under Federal Law an FFL cannot transfer a handgun to anyone under age 21. Also under Federal Law no one, FFL or non-FFL (with some exceptions), may transfer a handgun to anyone under age 18.

Illinois Law prohibits transferring a concealable firearm to anyone under age 18. Illinois Law also prohibits the transfer to your mom because she has no FOID card.

Having your mom get a FOID card isn't an option either because buying any firearm with the intention of transferring it to a person who cannot legally own it would itself be illegal.

You'll have to wait a while before you can legally own a handgun.

This. There are ways around it but they put the "sponsor" at risk legally. I'm not sure I see a reason to own anyway, since you can't carry or transport legally and any type of home defense situation would be complicated (legally) by a handgun owned by a 17-year-old.